5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 e-torque or regular hemi?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Etorque gives you a extra 1000 pounds of tow.
ETorque actually reduces tow rating by 80lbs over the non eTorque in almost all cases. The Heavy Duty Trailering package gives the ~1000 extra tow rating due to its heavier duty rear axle. That package does include eTorque but its only available on Tradesman and Bighorn and may only be on quad cab 4x2’s. Don’t know of anyone on the forum that has ordered that configuration but I imagine it’s pretty rare.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think most of us look at published RAM figures for payload and towing (up to # pound) and might forget that those numbers are based on the “stripped” 4x2 quad Tradesman. My 4x4 Limited obviously has lost a lot of payload due to its options.
Towing limits if equipped with 3.92 E Torque hemi should be enough to scare anyone. (Personally I don’t think a 1500 is enough truck to tow over 10-11K on a semi-regular basis but that’s for the towing section.)

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
EDIT: just made contact with RAM CHAT .. they said they cannot help without the VIN/VON ..

You might want to try again and hope you get a more helpful individual. I explained that I was having issues and could not get the VON, and the person was able to look up by the dealer name and alleged order date and tell me no orders were placed by that dealer. The other option is to tell your dealer if you don't get a VON you are cancelling your order

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to try again and hope you get a more helpful individual. I explained that I was having issues and could not get the VON, and the person was able to look up by the dealer name and alleged order date and tell me no orders were placed by that dealer. The other option is to tell your dealer if you don't get a VON you are cancelling your order

I made direct contact with the GM's Supervisor this morning -- they are "promising" to look into the issue. I told her that I had advised that if I needed to pull back and wait until 2020 season order, I had no pain in doing so: I just wondering why it is taking over 3 weeks to get my order in.

Reaction score
ETorque actually reduces tow rating by 80lbs over the non eTorque in almost all cases. The Heavy Duty Trailering package gives the ~1000 extra tow rating due to its heavier duty rear axle. That package does include eTorque but its only available on Tradesman and Bighorn and may only be on quad cab 4x2’s. Don’t know of anyone on the forum that has ordered that configuration but I imagine it’s pretty rare.
According to the ram specs Your right the 4x4 limited1500 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears with e torque is 11,250 and 4x2 crew cab is 12,750 towing and E torque on the start wineds the pully reducing tension giving transmission a bump start. I agree tho a 1500 is not ideal for 10000 pounds to tow. maybe 7 or 8 max on a 6'4" bed. So your not white knuckled fighting the truck.

Reaction score
your right i went over specs again.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just happened to surf over to Fuelly a few minutes ago, and it looks like we’ve got a reasonable dataset to work with (400+ trucks). Out of curiosity, I checked to see how many of those are HEMI eTorque trucks (104), and then I checked to see if they’re actually doing any better on economy. I ignored options, cab configurations, the likely bias of trucks with eTorque (especially early builds) being heavier due to having more options on average, etc. The bottom line is that all 2019s (including V6s) are averaging 15.37 mpg. HEMIs without eTorque are averaging 15.15 mpg. HEMI eTorque trucks are averaging 15.86 mpg. So far, then, eTorque adds roughly .71 mpg or 4.7% better V8 fuel economy.

At 12,000 miles/year, current Texas mid-grade price of $2.833/gallon, this translates to a savings of $100.46/year. That’s statistically significant, but not enough to justify eTorque to the average buyer from an economy standpoint alone (excluding early purchasers like myself that added eTorque for $800). Of course, I’ve already admitted that the data I reviewed did not account for options, etc, that (if considered) would likely shine a more favorable light on eTorque.

But that wasn’t my purpose. This isn’t an eTorque infomercial. I just thought some fellow members might find this info useful. Cheers!

mharringer

Reaction score
I like the eTorque, but looking at Fuelly averages, it looks like it improves your MPG by 0.8 MPG. Not a ton. It is seamless tho, the stop/start is hardly noticable. Don't regret getting it, but probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

RamBox...I love mine. LOVE THEM. Wish I had got the 6'4" bed instead of the 5'7".

Had the same problem with the 22s at a dealership that a previous poster did, wouldn't change them out. So I went to a different dealership and ordered the truck I wanted...exactly what I wanted.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
No, I didn’t list V6-only data above. Fuelly shows those trucks averaging 16.76 mpg, but there are only 11 V6 trucks reporting.
I expected more V6 in those numbers, but even those numbers are less than impressive

AirForce1

Reaction score
I got the eTorque in my Limited because auto stop/start is quite helpful where I live, and I spend on average 5 minutes idling out of a 45 minute commute. Now I just let the auto stop/start shut off the engine at lights, and if I remember, I turn off climate control beforehand so it stayed stopped for the whole light... profit!

It's also quite well-engineered. It's as unobtrusive as I've experienced in anything less than a full-on hybrid. The battery tech and motor/generator are all existing tech, just applied differently here. Sure, it's more stuff to break, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

As for the RAM Boxes, I wanted the extra payload, so I skipped them. They weigh somewhere around 160lbs, so if you're looking at a loaded-up Limited, your payload can get quite low - I think Car & Driver's test vehicle had a 990lb payload. My truck, with almost all the trimmings except RAM Boxes, says 1,320lbs on the red/yellow payload sticker.

My truck also has the 22" wheels. What's funny is that I test drove a truck with the standard 20" wheels on it, and didn't like the ride - it felt harsher. Plus, I like the look of the 22s.

At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy with your truck. If you live in or near a city and idle a lot, go ahead and get the eTorque. If you want built-in bed-side storage and are willing to give up some payload capacity, get the RAM Boxes. If you like the 22s, get the 22s.

-John
Have you noticed any climate control performance issues if you do not turn it off while idling?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Hemi Etorque with 3.21 gears is hovering around 17.5 mpg average. I do a lot of stop and go on my commute to work and I am pretty happy with the MPG now that engine is broken in.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
Have you noticed any climate control performance issues if you do not turn it off while idling?

Yes, air will not blow cold while engine is stopped. It is annoying when it is 100 degrees out. It's not really a problem on my way to work. Coming home it can get uncomfortable

DraKhen99

Reaction score
They answered for me, although when I'm truly at idle (engine on, truck stopped), the A/C seems to be OK. I'm pretty sure my truck goes into recirc mode when stopped, whether the engine is on or not.

I'd love to 100% shut off recirc mode. I almost (99.9%) never want it to go into recirc.

-John

doctorxring

Reaction score
I drove 2 similarly equipped Hemi powered Laramie trucks today at the dealer. One with E-Torque and one without.
I actually liked the driving experience of the truck without E-Torque better. I calculated that it would be 7 to 8 YEARS
before I would BREAK EVEN on gas cost versus E-Torque cost. In the end I ordered a 2020 Laramie with the native Hemi engine
and feel good about it.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove 2 similarly equipped Hemi powered Laramie trucks today at the dealer. One with E-Torque and one without.
I actually liked the driving experience of the truck without E-Torque better. I calculated that it would be 7 to 8 YEARS
before I would BREAK EVEN on gas cost versus E-Torque cost. In the end I ordered a 2020 Laramie with the native Hemi engine
and feel good about it.
I have to agree with you. I bought a 5.7 Hemi truck about a year ago and despite the poor fuel economy I really like the way it drives. Just a couple weeks ago I had a 5.7 E-Torque as a loaner and I really found the E-torque to be kid of rough. I really didn't care for how the start/stop felt and I was surprised it was so noticeable after others had commented they could hardly feel it. In addition, I didn't like the way the E-torque felt while slowing down to stop; it felt like the truck was being held back and that I didn't have as much control.

doctorxring

Reaction score
I have to agree with you. I bought a 5.7 Hemi truck about a year ago and despite the poor fuel economy I really like the way it drives. Just a couple weeks ago I had a 5.7 E-Torque as a loaner and I really found the E-torque to be kid of rough. I really didn't care for how the start/stop felt and I was surprised it was so noticeable after others had commented they could hardly feel it. In addition, I didn't like the way the E-torque felt while slowing down to stop; it felt like the truck was being held back and that I didn't have as much control.

This was exactly my same experience test driving an ETorque Hemi. Kind of like some invisible hands had a choke hold on the drive shaft at times. Didn’t like it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread