5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 e-torque or regular hemi?

MarioNYC

Reaction score
Hi, I am very close buy Ram Limited and I was thinking about patriot blue or white ivory color and decided white but not sure if I should choice engine with e-torque or without. Any advices?
Also Anti-spin or E-locker? What’s more important in most regular roads driving?
Also I seen some in dealer and RamBoxes looks weren’t close smooth. Means I seen some space and looks they were closer more deeply (1/4”) so I don’t know
If this model has issues or it is like that.
I would like rims 22” but some friends said better 20” because it’s heavy truck and holes on road can damaged easy 22”.
Thanks for any help

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
I didn't order my limited with e-torque due to it being a new system. Plus I didn't want start/stop stuff in my truck so that meant no e-torque for me. To me it seems like it would cause more wear on the engine due to repeated starting and stopping.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I am very close buy Ram Limited and I was thinking about patriot blue or white ivory color and decided white but not sure if I should choice engine with e-torque or without. Any advices?
Also Anti-spin or E-locker? What’s more important in most regular roads driving?
Also I seen some in dealer and RamBoxes looks weren’t close smooth. Means I seen some space and looks they were closer more deeply (1/4”) so I don’t know
I would like rims 22” but some friends said better 20” because it’s heavy truck and holes on road can damaged easy 22”.
Thanks for any help
Just order it with the 3.92 rear and skip the e-torque. Its just another thing to break!!

mkel2010

Reaction score
I have eTorque, stop/start and Rambox and love them all. You're likely to find differing opinions on all three so it comes down to what you want and whether or not your research outside of this forum supports your choice. As for the wheel size, it doesn't matter what size tire you're running - if you hit a pot hole or anything else hard enough you're going to damage something. I think if wheel size were an issue such as your friends have described, you wouldn't see as many people putting tire and wheels much larger than 22" on their vehicles.

Yedi

Reaction score
so many are scared of something new. E-Torque system is designed very well. My biggest worry was the battery pack, that's why I took out an extended warranty to 150,000 miles. I have 7000 miles on mine and don't regret it one bit. besides I love the rumble when it starts the engine back up at a stop.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so many are scared of something new. E-Torque system is designed very well. My biggest worry was the battery pack, that's why I took out an extended warranty to 150,000 miles. I have 7000 miles on mine and don't regret it one bit. besides I love the rumble when it starts the engine back up at a stop.
Not everyone purchases an extended warranty though

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I got the eTorque in my Limited because auto stop/start is quite helpful where I live, and I spend on average 5 minutes idling out of a 45 minute commute. Now I just let the auto stop/start shut off the engine at lights, and if I remember, I turn off climate control beforehand so it stayed stopped for the whole light... profit!

It's also quite well-engineered. It's as unobtrusive as I've experienced in anything less than a full-on hybrid. The battery tech and motor/generator are all existing tech, just applied differently here. Sure, it's more stuff to break, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

As for the RAM Boxes, I wanted the extra payload, so I skipped them. They weigh somewhere around 160lbs, so if you're looking at a loaded-up Limited, your payload can get quite low - I think Car & Driver's test vehicle had a 990lb payload. My truck, with almost all the trimmings except RAM Boxes, says 1,320lbs on the red/yellow payload sticker.

My truck also has the 22" wheels. What's funny is that I test drove a truck with the standard 20" wheels on it, and didn't like the ride - it felt harsher. Plus, I like the look of the 22s.

At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy with your truck. If you live in or near a city and idle a lot, go ahead and get the eTorque. If you want built-in bed-side storage and are willing to give up some payload capacity, get the RAM Boxes. If you like the 22s, get the 22s.

-John

SacRebel

Reaction score
What's your driving pattern? If doing mainly highway driving I wouldn't spend the money. But if you do mainly city driving that's where you'll see the greatest benefits.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I chose the eTorque and am happy with it. You aren't going to see a massive difference in MPG, but if you are often stopped in traffic it will make more of a difference to you. It really depends on if the additional range and and fuel savings is worth the higher initial cost to you over the regular 5.7. For the wheels there probably is a greater risk of damaging due to less sidewall on the tire, but I don't think it should be a huge concern. My biggest complaint with the large wheels is the difference in ride quality from having less sidewall to flex and absorb the bumps

MarioNYC

Reaction score
I got the eTorque in my Limited because auto stop/start is quite helpful where I live, and I spend on average 5 minutes idling out of a 45 minute commute. Now I just let the auto stop/start shut off the engine at lights, and if I remember, I turn off climate control beforehand so it stayed stopped for the whole light... profit!

It's also quite well-engineered. It's as unobtrusive as I've experienced in anything less than a full-on hybrid. The battery tech and motor/generator are all existing tech, just applied differently here. Sure, it's more stuff to break, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

As for the RAM Boxes, I wanted the extra payload, so I skipped them. They weigh somewhere around 160lbs, so if you're looking at a loaded-up Limited, your payload can get quite low - I think Car & Driver's test vehicle had a 990lb payload. My truck, with almost all the trimmings except RAM Boxes, says 1,320lbs on the red/yellow payload sticker.

My truck also has the 22" wheels. What's funny is that I test drove a truck with the standard 20" wheels on it, and didn't like the ride - it felt harsher. Plus, I like the look of the 22s.

At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy with your truck. If you live in or near a city and idle a lot, go ahead and get the eTorque. If you want built-in bed-side storage and are willing to give up some payload capacity, get the RAM Boxes. If you like the 22s, get the 22s.

-John

MarioNYC

Reaction score
What's your driving pattern? If doing mainly highway driving I wouldn't spend the money. But if you do mainly city driving that's where you'll see the greatest benefits.
It will highway and city so maybe really I should take e-torque

Thanks

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I chose the eTorque and am happy with it. You aren't going to see a massive difference in MPG, but if you are often stopped in traffic it will make more of a difference to you. It really depends on if the additional range and and fuel savings is worth the higher initial cost to you over the regular 5.7. For the wheels there probably is a greater risk of damaging due to less sidewall on the tire, but I don't think it should be a huge concern. My biggest complaint with the large wheels is the difference in ride quality from having less sidewall to flex and absorb the bumps

The only complaint I have from the ride (and I have the 22s like I mentioned) is that over some sharp bumps, I get a rattle out of the rear of the truck like the bed bolts are loose or something. I'll bring it up at the first oil change.

It will highway and city so maybe really I should take e-torque

Thanks

This morning I got caught in some traffic. It was mild out (75-80 degrees F) so I turned off the climate control, and sat through two light cycles of 3 minutes each, with moving the truck for a whole 5-10 seconds in between the lights. That's a solid 5-6 minutes of engine-off time right there, a savings of several ounces of fuel. I am a HAPPY camper with the eTorque. I loved the fact that I was sitting there, stopped in traffic for several minutes, and my engine wasn't idling and burning a bunch of fuel.

FWIW, I am *never* able to match the EPA combined fuel economy on my trucks, even though I do a fair bit of highway driving. My last 2 trucks were F-150s, both with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, 4x4, 3.55 RAR. My 2011 got 16.48 over 36k miles, and the 2015 got 16.15 over 36k miles. The 2011 was rated at 15/21/17 City/Highway/Combined, and the 2015 was rated at 17/23/19 (same setup for 2016 was down-rated to 16/22/18). All that said, my first tank on my RAM was 14.9 (hand-calculated), my second tank was 14.66 (and included almost 60 miles of towing my 7x14 v-nose enclosed trailer), and my lie-o-meter (dash readout) is currently reading 16.9 for the third tank, 16.1 lifetime. Not too shabby!

-John

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for any help
I’m biased so... too many E-Torque complaints for my liking so I went without. Less to go wrong.
Anti-Spin is better for the street IMHO and will work at speeds that E Lock won’t.
Spouse wouldn’t know how to use E-locker...
I didnt want 22’s but dealer would not trade out for 20’s, gave me a couple reasons but basically unless I paid, they wouldn’t switch. Just like when 20’s came out, tire availability will catch up as far as choices.
I didnt see a rambox lot truck so can’t say.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Too much cost for E Torque to ever really save at the pump. If you want it should be for other reasons (like the tow help off the line). Other issue is the parts to replace. I doubt the hybrid battery is covered under the extended warranty. If it is, great, if not, you just know it will fail sometime in 3-6 years... spendy.
Agree on the sidewall issue with 22’s however the air ride negates the issue I believe. Now a non-air ride truck, I’d stay 18 or 20’s. Totally my opinion of course.
Lastly, snow tire choices, if needed, are not good yet. 20’s have lots of options. If you have 4x and anti-spin you may not care.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
Too much cost for E Torque to ever really save at the pump. If you want it should be for other reasons (like the tow help off the line). Other issue is the parts to replace. I doubt the hybrid battery is covered under the extended warranty. If it is, great, if not, you just know it will fail sometime in 3-6 years... spendy.

It really depends on driving habits and length you keep your vehicles, it is only a $1250 difference. If you actually get the Its really no different than buying a diesel. If you plan to keep it a long time and in this case if you spend a lot of time at stop lights you will make up for the cost. For the majority of people you will never see a cost savings by getting a couple of mpg better. The extended range is important to me, the less stops to fill up the better. Some people may also care about the benefits to the environment, but I would guess the number of people influenced by that is minimal.

Overall I am not too concerned with the battery, I think there are many other parts that are more likely to fail

gpbst3

Reaction score
Someone on the forum already did the math and for the average driver (12k miles a year) it would take about 4 years to break even for the additional cost of the E tourque system.

I also learned the E locker can only be used under certain conditions. You cant drive down a snow covered road at 30 mph with the E locker.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
It really depends on driving habits and length you keep your vehicles, it is only a $1250 difference. If you actually get the Its really no different than buying a diesel. If you plan to keep it a long time and in this case if you spend a lot of time at stop lights you will make up for the cost. For the majority of people you will never see a cost savings by getting a couple of mpg better. The extended range is important to me, the less stops to fill up the better. Some people may also care about the benefits to the environment, but I would guess the number of people influenced by that is minimal.

Overall I am not too concerned with the battery, I think there are many other parts that are more likely to fail
I believe the diesel upcharge is quite a bit more. Fords were 6 or 7K if I remember correctly. The Etorque is a very mild upgrade and as such, doesn't deliver much. A person could take that 2K and get a freer flowing exhaust system and other such things and likely see more benefit. I’m not a “tuner” but some really like what can be done with them.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I believe the diesel upcharge is quite a bit more. Fords were 6 or 7K if I remember correctly. The Etorque is a very mild upgrade and as such, doesn't deliver much. A person could take that 2K and get a freer flowing exhaust system and other such things and likely see more benefit. I’m not a “tuner” but some really like what can be done with them.

How many mpg increase does an exhaust give you? I would guess about zero without tuning it, which voids your warranty. If it does give a 2 mpg increase I could add that to the eTorque and get the same benefit. As already stated it is a $1250 upgrade so depending on the type of driving you may or not make up for it, but at $2.80 a gallon you only need to save 447 gallons of fuel to break even. If you are gaining 2 mpg that should be somewhere around year 4.

If you are not driving a lot, only doing highway, or trade in every couple of years it may not make sense. If you sit in traffic a lot and plan to keep the truck it will most likely make up for the initial cost. It's fine that you don't like it, just say you don't like it. There is no reason to make invalid arguments to make your decision look better. The facts are you will get a varying degree of fuel economy improvement and also a more complicated system for a charge of $1250. That system may lead to expensive repair bills down the road, but their is no data to support that or even determine how likely that is.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
How many mpg increase does an exhaust give you? I would guess about zero without tuning it, which voids your warranty. If it does give a 2 mpg increase I could add that to the eTorque and get the same benefit. As already stated it is a $1250 upgrade so depending on the type of driving you may or not make up for it, but at $2.80 a gallon you only need to save 447 gallons of fuel to break even. If you are gaining 2 mpg that should be somewhere around year 4.

If you are not driving a lot, only doing highway, or trade in every couple of years it may not make sense. If you sit in traffic a lot and plan to keep the truck it will most likely make up for the initial cost. It's fine that you don't like it, just say you don't like it. There is no reason to make invalid arguments to make your decision look better. The facts are you will get a varying degree of fuel economy improvement and also a more complicated system for a charge of $1250. That system may lead to expensive repair bills down the road, but their is no data to support that or even determine how likely that is.
Ok, “I don’t like it”.
Time will tell, I’m basing my opinion on the many threads that discussed problems and poor mileage. All those buyers didn’t seem thrilled. I’m also not thinking that my opinions are “invalid”, they are as valid as yours. Its a fact that it is an expensive system that few other than a dealer could repair. It gives marginal returns. Its costly. Its primary benefit was stated to be towing with a small mpg. Buyers, especially the Pentstar ones, are forced to get it. For a while it seemed that dealers were stocking them with the hemi, hoping the public would buy. Was it pressure from FCA just like Ford has been force-feeding the ecoboost onto their dealers? Is it just a CAFE ploy, or sound marketing. Being that the chairman of FCA didn’t call me to consult about it, I only know what I read here on the forum about owners experiences.

I could care less, I don’t have one and avoided them. If you or anyone else likes it, great. Hope the extended warranty takes good care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread