5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 e-torque or regular hemi?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While I would agree that the tech there isn’t “rock solid” yet, it’s going to get there. I don’t see FCA dropping the idea, if anything it will get improved/more hybrid as time goes by. Same with stop/start. Had that on my Ford and it was a novelty, now I hear a lot of cars and CUV’s/SUV’s in traffic with it (at lights). Manufacturors will do most anything to improve their CAFE standards, and if there are changes in 2020, those standards will be getting pushed higher with a vengeance, so they may as well get ready.
It will be interesting to see if Ford comes out into production with the electric F150, and what its like. Now there would be a 1st year truck I wouldn’t want to own. Can anyone say T S B’s?

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
Visited my service dept today for simple reflash of computer for the V71 recall. Service guy asked if I had the e-torque. I said no. He said good thing. Lots of problems and now we (dealers) can’t order them. We have few on the lot but customers are buying the regular Hemi to avoid problems later. Replacement module parts for the e-torque very scarce. Modules are starting to fail. I’ve read that some are fine and then just fail. From low mileage up to 10k. I decided to pass on the e-torque because I didn’t like the auto start stop thing. Had that on a diff vehicle. Anyone having issues yet?

He may be seeing problems, but people are ordering eTorque. He is either referring to some of the restrictions on certain options or has no clue what he is talking about like most people at the dealership. I have seen very few posts online claiming any problem at all for the eTorque. I have seen many complaints about sunroofs and leaking trucks, so I would guess if there was a high failure rate in "module parts", whatever that is, the forums would be full of complaints

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
He may be seeing problems, but people are ordering eTorque. He is either referring to some of the restrictions on certain options or has no clue what he is talking about like most people at the dealership. I have seen very few posts online claiming any problem at all for the eTorque. I have seen many complaints about sunroofs and leaking trucks, so I would guess if there was a high failure rate in "module parts", whatever that is, the forums would be full of complaints
Agree, leaking panos far outnumber failed battery packs. Hopefully RAM won’t do what Ford recommended their leaking sunroof owners, to “park on an angle away from the leaking side”.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
Agree, leaking panos far outnumber failed battery packs. Hopefully RAM won’t do what Ford recommended their leaking sunroof owners, to “park on an angle away from the leaking side”.
I hadn't heard about that. If that happened I wouldn't know if I should laugh, cry, or punch someone

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I hadn't heard about that. If that happened I wouldn't know if I should laugh, cry, or punch someone
Here’s a 2016 thread on leaking sunroofs:

05-13-2016, 09:57 AM
digitaltrucker
5years-1.png

Received 878 Likes on 728 Posts

Was your truck parked level or was the front end higher? I ask because recent rains in Houston, I had my first moon roof leak when I parked the truck with the engine end higher up the drive way. Normally I back it in.

Rains again last night, truck backed in and no issues. I think ford even said this to someone in another post,parking truck at an angle that is.

Distilled water and hair dryer cleaned stained headliner.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
RAM owners, please don’t think your trucks are the only ones with a sunroof issue. Try a 70 page thread about it on the F150 forum! Just a few seconds searching the F150 forum for the leaking sunroofs brought up this:

06-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Mypaford

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaltrucker View Post
Have you looked thru this big post on the same issue:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...onroof-289588/
Just went through all 70 some pages of that painful reading and while there's mention of the drain tubes exiting somewhere towards the bottom of the truck there's no specific details on the exact location. Thanks for guiding me there though. You know what they say. Misery loves company and that thread did the trick for me in regards to my moonroof leak problem LOL!

Beendare

Reaction score
I'm looking hard at these 1500's with the Etorque right now. I'm due to off my 2012 tundra. Not one single problem with that Tundra...except it avgs 13.3 mpg [levelled with big Toyo MT's, mostly city type driving and dirt roads]

A buddy has 1300mi on his 2019 Limited with the eTorque avg 16 mpg all town. I have the dealer checking with ram to see if its true you cannot order one with etorque....that would speak volumes.

I'm not usually an early adopter...beentheredonethat....but I like the idea of the eTorque. We have had incredible results with a Highlander hybrid [6 1/2 yrs] and now a Lexus RX450. I get stuck in traffic so there would be a clear benefit.

If there is an issue with this motor I will probably go to the ford with the 3.5....trying to decide.

BTW, the initial post mentioned rear axle ratios; I think it was motor trend that has an article comparing the 3;21 to the 3;55 with the 5.7 and the 3;21 won out in multiple categories even towing a 7,000# trailer. The 3;21 is a good axle for most light towing [my boat is 3,000#]....assuming you aren't towing 4 horse trailers around.

Last edited:

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I'm looking hard at these 1500's with the Etorque right now. I'm due to off my 2012 tundra. Not one single problem with that Tundra...except it avgs 13.3 mpg [levelled with big Toyo MT's, mostly city type driving and dirt roads]

A buddy has 1300mi on his 2019 Limited with the eTorque avg 16 mpg all town. I have the dealer checking with ram to see if its true you cannot order one with etorque....that would speak volumes.

I'm not usually an early adopter...beentheredonethat....but I like the idea of the eTorque. We have had incredible results with a Highlander hybrid [6 1/2 yrs] and now a Lexus RX450. I get stuck in traffic so there would be a clear benefit.

If there is an issue with this motor I will probably go to the ford with the 3.5....trying to decide.

Well, I can tell you that with only 1,600 miles on the odometer, my 5.7 eTorque is already averaging better than my 3.5 EcoBoosts did in my 2011 and 2015 F-150s. The 2011 averaged 16.48 over 36k, and the 2015 did 16.15 over the same amount of miles. My eTorque just averaged 16.9 over the last 425 miles. That included some around town stuff, and a bunch of highway commuting, so highway speeds mixed with stop and go... and it seemed like a LOT of stop and go the last week or so.

I am GIDDY about my current mileage, and hope it keeps up. I try to maximize my auto stop/start time by turning off the A/C before I come to a stop so the engine stays off during the whole light cycle, which can be 2-3 minutes at certain lights.

If my current mileage keeps up, I'll be saving about $1,000 per year in fuel costs, between running cheaper gas (mid-grade on the eTorque versus premium in my F-150s) and better mileage. I'm excited to see how this pans out.

It would be a shame if RAM stopped letting people order the eTorque. I know there were some problems with the early builds, but I haven't seen much lately about it.

-John

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that with only 1,600 miles on the odometer, my 5.7 eTorque is already averaging better than my 3.5 EcoBoosts did in my 2011 and 2015 F-150s. The 2011 averaged 16.48 over 36k, and the 2015 did 16.15 over the same amount of miles. My eTorque just averaged 16.9 over the last 425 miles. That included some around town stuff, and a bunch of highway commuting, so highway speeds mixed with stop and go... and it seemed like a LOT of stop and go the last week or so.

I am GIDDY about my current mileage, and hope it keeps up. I try to maximize my auto stop/start time by turning off the A/C before I come to a stop so the engine stays off during the whole light cycle, which can be 2-3 minutes at certain lights.

If my current mileage keeps up, I'll be saving about $1,000 per year in fuel costs, between running cheaper gas (mid-grade on the eTorque versus premium in my F-150s) and better mileage. I'm excited to see how this pans out.

It would be a shame if RAM stopped letting people order the eTorque. I know there were some problems with the early builds, but I haven't seen much lately about it.

-John
Thats facts being reported from the owner of a competetive engined truck (2). I had not remembered the premium fuel issue. If John is driving the same route the same way (we tend to), with a heavier truck no less (my guess), that speaks well for the e-torque system’s capabilities. And, according to the forum, mileage will still likely increase for him as its not fully broken in. (y)

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Thats facts being reported from the owner of a competetive engined truck (2). I had not remembered the premium fuel issue. If John is driving the same route the same way (we tend to), with a heavier truck no less (my guess), that speaks well for the e-torque system’s capabilities. And, according to the forum, mileage will still likely increase for him as its not fully broken in. (y)

Thanks! Yeah, my route starts on surface streets for approx. 5 miles, with plenty of lights to sit at, and then onto the Capital (DC) Beltway (495) for approx. 18 miles, then surface streets for another approx. 3 miles. Inevitably there's some stop and go traffic as well as the highway speeds. I've driven both my old truck and my new one on the same exact route many times now, and other than the last tank on my F-150, which was an aberration at 17.48, most of my commuting tanks on that truck were 15.3 to 16.3 MPGs - and that truck had 36k on it!

My last F-150 weighed approx. 5,425lbs (7,000lb GVWR and 1,575lb payload, per the red/yellow sticker). My new RAM weighs approx. 5,780 (7,100lb GVWR and 1,320lbs payload, per sticker). That's 355lbs heavier, 3.92 versus 3.55 RAR, and a 5.7-liter V8 mild hybrid versus a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6. Pretty impressive engineering!

I always ran premium (93 octane) fuel in my F-150, as per the recommendation in the owner's manual, and I am running 89 octane in my RAM, as per its manual. Where I live, that's a $.20-.25 difference per gallon, so 25 gallons of gas, even at the same mileage my F-150 got, saves me $5.00-6.25 per tank, which lasts me roughly a week. I typically fill up at 1/4 tank or 100 miles to empty, depending on my schedule. For the last couple of fill-ups on the RAM (with the 33-gallon tank), the pump stopped at just over 25 gallons. At current prices and MPGs, my savings per 10k miles will be $262.46. That gives me a 5-year ROI for eTorque alone, not to mention I get the nicer interior, better sound and added amenities.

I suspect the difference will be even greater when winter comes, because during those months, my F-150 barely saw 15 mpg on the same route, because the cold, dense air got sucked into those turbos and added fuel was needed. Sure, the truck got up and went faster (according to my calibrated butt dyno), but boy did it hurt at the pump. The 5.7, being naturally aspirated, should not see as big a dip. Also, at idle, a turbo engine sucks down fuel big time (at least in my experience). IIRC, this is due to the lower compression ratio of the engine compared to a naturally aspirated one. This may, however, be counteracted by less auto stop/start time. The engine will need longer to warm up to operating temperature, and without turning off the heat, the "Stop/Start Not Ready Cabin Heating or Cooling" may prevent the auto s/s from keeping the engine off longer.

Sorry for the long post, I just like to be very clear and factual, rather than anecdotal, in my explanations and experience.

-John

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I have the dealer checking with ram to see if its true you cannot order one with etorque....that would speak volumes.

Please post the response to this question. I have yet to see where the eTorque is no longer an option. There are options it cannot be ordered with, for example I was unable to get the sunroof when my truck was ordered. If this rumor was true Ram would not be able to sell a single V6 and would be limited to just the Hemi, which would kill a significant portion of their market

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please post the response to this question. I have yet to see where the eTorque is no longer an option. There are options it cannot be ordered with, for example I was unable to get the sunroof when my truck was ordered. If this rumor was true Ram would not be able to sell a single V6 and would be limited to just the Hemi, which would kill a significant portion of their market

My local dealer tried getting what I wanted with eTorque for 3 weeks .. I finally said, Ok just get regular Hemi then .. I'm still waiting but supposedly the order went in last Thursday.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
My local dealer tried getting what I wanted with eTorque for 3 weeks .. I finally said, Ok just get regular Hemi then .. I'm still waiting but supposedly the order went in last Thursday.

You signature block says you couldn't get the ETorque with the sunroof, not that you can't get ETorque. That has been going on since March. The statement was that ETorque cannot be ordered due to all the problems, which is what I am asking to be validated

DraKhen99

Reaction score
You signature block says you couldn't get the ETorque with the sunroof, not that you can't get ETorque. That has been going on since March. The statement was that ETorque cannot be ordered due to all the problems, which is what I am asking to be validated

This also makes me wonder. What is it about the combo of eTorque and pano roof that makes it a no-go???

My Limited was built in March, not sure which day. (can someone remind me how to figure out the day and time via the window sticker?)

-John

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My local dealer is STILL trying to figure out .. they say I can get the eTorque, but not with a pano ..
Heck. I'm still waiting for confirmation of my order from last week :(

Every time the GM calls his 'vendor', he is never in .. so we can't confirm .. I'm at the point now where I will just forget the preorder and pay off my R/T and keep driving it and my Silverado.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
This also makes me wonder. What is it about the combo of eTorque and pano roof that makes it a no-go???

My Limited was built in March, not sure which day. (can someone remind me how to figure out the day and time via the window sticker?)

-John

The theory is it has something to do with fuel economy and the extra weight. The same for the off road group, but I am sure that is a bigger hit with the tires and additional weight. I have no clue why a sunroof would be causing a big drop in fuel mileage, but I am sure it adds some additional weight

I had the same question when ordering and the best excuse I could find was Ram was concerned about the additional weight. Which shouldn't matter unless they were concerned about a class action lawsuit for misleading fuel economy claims. Even that doesn't make much since.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
My local dealer is STILL trying to figure out .. they say I can get the eTorque, but not with a pano ..
Heck. I'm still waiting for confirmation of my order from last week :(

Every time the GM calls his 'vendor', he is never in .. so we can't confirm .. I'm at the point now where I will just forget the preorder and pay off my R/T and keep driving it and my Silverado.

Check directly with Ram Chat. My salesman told me it was ordered, but never provided the VON. After talking with Ram they confirmed no order was ever submitted. Then I called the GM and called him a liar. It turns out he was having another dealer order because his dealership was in trouble with Ram and not allowed to place the order.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WOW!

Thank you, I'll see what I can figure out. This dealer is very good, but as you said maybe something came up that none of us heard about.

EDIT: just made contact with RAM CHAT .. they said they cannot help without the VIN/VON ..

Last edited:

SemperGumby

Reaction score

-John
Bottom left of window sticker above the bar code you'll see VIN then VON, to the right of that you should see a 4 digit numerical code, above the right side of the bar code by itself, that'll be the month and day code of your build.

Reaction score
Etorque gives you a extra 1000 pounds of tow. Nice to have as well as torque on the get up and go. Fuel savings in the long run add up got to look at it like stocks the long term investment. I had my truck in repair for a ground issue and got a fully loaded ram as a loaner and regret not getting the boxes e torque Harmon kardon and a trailer brake. I got a few of those. point is now's a good time to buy get it all. Youll love it. we're talking 5 dollars more a month for a fully loaded truck.

Users who are viewing this thread