5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 e-torque or regular hemi?

Firepower2010

Reaction score
I share a LOT of the same opinion at Slashhero above. I too have a 5.7L e-torque with 3.92, and honestly the two things I would have not ordered had I known. The 3.92 gears make you feel like you are always driving "fast and furious" a 1/4 mile at a time, which I don't like. The e-torque and mileage, has been dismal at best....Def not worth the extra money, coupled with the strange abrupt stops and starts being very jerky. This is my $0.02..

Zinger

Reaction score
I share a LOT of the same opinion at Slashhero above. I too have a 5.7L e-torque with 3.92, and honestly the two things I would have not ordered had I known. The 3.92 gears make you feel like you are always driving "fast and furious" a 1/4 mile at a time, which I don't like. The e-torque and mileage, has been dismal at best....Def not worth the extra money, coupled with the strange abrupt stops and starts being very jerky. This is my $0.02..

I tend to agree about the grunt this combo has when unladen. It definitely takes a controlled right foot to keep acceleration off the line in check. HOWEVER, the first time I towed 6000+ pounds worth of camper I was amazed at how easy it was to get going off the line. If it weren't for the engine revving up more than usual I'd of thought I had nothing back there. It's a great combo for towing, and since I bought the truck mainly for this purpose I'm quite happy with both the options.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I have no comparative data, but I'm itching for an internet argument. Is this the right place? In all seriousness, this is a great forum ... Useful and quite civil.

I did not want eTorque, as it didn't check any of the boxes I want in a truck. If it does for you, cool. I think it's good we have choices. One size rarely fits all.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I have no comparative data, but I'm itching for an internet argument. Is this the right place? In all seriousness, this is a great forum ... Useful and quite civil.

I did not want eTorque, as it didn't check any of the boxes I want in a truck. If it does for you, cool. I think it's good we have choices. One size rarely fits all.
If you don't like what I like then we must fight. There can only be one opinion

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did eTorque myself with 33gal tank and stock rear axle ratio. I wanted something to give me the snappy feeling off the line (others say eTorque didn't give them that feeling, but the 5.7 and 5.7 eT I test drove I could tell the difference.) I ALMOST grabbed the 3.92 axles, but decided not to.
It will never drive the same as my current vehicle (2016 Durango R/T) and I did not want to trade it in, but the dealer gave me such a deal I just HAD to.
I did read that the eTorque can 'run' for upto 10 mins without turning off the vehicle or restarting the engine. (at least that is what the engineers said).
I was going to create a port asking eTorquer's something, but after reading this post, I forgot what I was going to ask :(

Has anyone had issues with that battery pack? I haven't searched to look.

Tim N

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I did read that the eTorque can 'run' for upto 10 mins without turning off the vehicle or restarting the engine. (at least that is what the engineers said).
I was going to create a port asking eTorquer's something, but after reading this post, I forgot what I was going to ask :(

Has anyone had issues with that battery pack? I haven't searched to look.

Tim N

Part of the eTorque "package" is auto stop/start... and the battery pack enables up to 10 mins of engine-off time, according to the engineers. I can verify that at least 3-4 minutes can be spent with the engine off, so long as the outside temperature is close to what you want your HVAC set to, OR with HVAC turned off (which is how I've kept the engine off for 3-4 mins).

With the HVAC turned on, even in "manual" mode instead of Auto, the engine only stays off for 45 seconds or so before the engine starts up to cool the cabin down.

As for battery problems, the only issues I have heard about with eTorque are bad fuel economy and loose ground wires, both of which, to my knowledge, were early build problems. Nothing to do with the battery by itself.

I for one am an eTorque convert. Of course, going with a 2011 F-150 EcoBoost (first year for that engine in the F-150, even though it showed up earlier in Lincoln products) was a bit of a gamble, and neither of my 3.5EB trucks had engine problems (but had every OTHER problem you can think of, LOL).

Also, yes, if we want to be like forums for other makes, we must have a knock down, drag out battle royale about the same topic over and over and over. Conversely, we could (like everyone has done lately in this forum) agree to disagree, and move on with our lives. Guess there's more people on this forum doing truck stuff and fewer people sitting around posting while waiting at the dealer for their truck to be fixed ;)

-John

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I'm an e-Torque fan too.....my favorite is the engine speed matching during shifts, second is start/stop, third is when electric motor kicks in to help in acceleration. Don't care about mileage, I'm getting about 17 in town and that's keeping me happy.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am ordering the eTorque .. I drove both because I wanted to see how I liked each one (coming from a Durango R/T.)

I opted for the eT just "because" - it is something new and neat and I drive 20 miles each day normally (1/2 is 35-45MPH and stop lights and the other 1/2 is 50MPH highway), so I thought I could benefit from it. I told the dealer to go ahead and throw in the 33 gal tank but keep the stock axle ratios. I, myself, noticed a tad bit off the line (I know a different axle ratio would also do that for me), and was scared-to-death at the stop light when the engine "died".

I appreciate everyone's views on this forum - found it over the weekend while googling for place to answer my questions.

For those of us that grew up Chevy / Ford / whatever, please bare with us as we ask the questions most of you are so aware of .. I LOVE my R/T but could not pass up the deal I got for the build-my-own truck after wanting a REBEL for 3-4 months now.

Tim N

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am ordering the eTorque .. I drove both because I wanted to see how I liked each one (coming from a Durango R/T.)

I opted for the eT just "because" - it is something new and neat and I drive 20 miles each day normally (1/2 is 35-45MPH and stop lights and the other 1/2 is 50MPH highway), so I thought I could benefit from it. I told the dealer to go ahead and throw in the 33 gal tank but keep the stock axle ratios. I, myself, noticed a tad bit off the line (I know a different axle ratio would also do that for me), and was scared-to-death at the stop light when the engine "died".

I appreciate everyone's views on this forum - found it over the weekend while googling for place to answer my questions.

For those of us that grew up Chevy / Ford / whatever, please bare with us as we ask the questions most of you are so aware of .. I LOVE my R/T but could not pass up the deal I got for the build-my-own truck after wanting a REBEL for 3-4 months now.

Tim N
I’ve been reading up on the e-torque and it sounds fine, I just probably over-reacted to the several threads with issues on it/battery packs (shh, don’t tell SirSpeedy). I read about Fords possible mild hybrid for 2020, so it looks like more makers are going that way.
Like I said, “mum’s the word” that it may be ok... :oops:

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I know I'm a broken record, but I loved my eTorque this morning. I was enjoying an easy commute until I hit some traffic. I spent several minutes with the engine off which on my last truck would've been spent idling, wasting fuel. I love the auto stop/start feature on my new truck!

My lie-o-meter on the dash says I'm now averaging 17.0 MPG for the 1,250 or so miles on my truck, and 17.4 on this tank! Even if it's off by as much as my Ford was, it means I'm getting the same or better fuel economy than my last truck, and this one isn't even broken in yet!

-John

Yedi

Reaction score
Too much cost for E Torque to ever really save at the pump. If you want it should be for other reasons (like the tow help off the line). Other issue is the parts to replace. I doubt the hybrid battery is covered under the extended warranty. If it is, great, if not, you just know it will fail sometime in 3-6 years... spendy.
Agree on the sidewall issue with 22’s however the air ride negates the issue I believe. Now a non-air ride truck, I’d stay 18 or 20’s. Totally my opinion of course.
Lastly, snow tire choices, if needed, are not good yet. 20’s have lots of options. If you have 4x and anti-spin you may not care.

yes battery and every component of the E-torque system is covered under my warranty, with a zero dollar deductible.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
yes battery and every component of the E-torque system is covered under my warranty, with a zero dollar deductible.
That's great to know. Glad they don't consider the big battery a consumable, like the 12v starter batteries can be. I know the F150's were going through batteries every year for some people due to the battery management system issues, I read on the forums that Ford replaced battery after battery (Motocraft only) for owners.
Quote: from the F150 forum
Originally Posted by 2quik View Post
"It's known that the 11-14 have battery drain issues, search "battery drian".
Ur battery should last you more than 3 years. I have ever had my share of the infamous "battery drain" dying over night for no reason what so ever so far i have had 3 die, i am on my 4th. For me Ford service is useless.
Wife's edge 2013 lasted 3 yrs 2 weeks. Sons explorer 2014 went last month, 2 year s 3 months. My 13 F150 will be 3 years old in October, will change it then."
End of quote

For the record, my 2014 Edge has the original battery. I put it on the (I only buy the highest quality, ha ha) Harbor Freight 10/2 charger about monthly, and leave it on overnight. The Edge has a whole 50K on it, so it's not like it got driven a lot.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, no less.

That's the best news I've heard all day!

I am not an early adopter for most tech, but seem to really want the latest & greatest tech toys in my vehicles.

-John

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That's the best news I've heard all day!

I am not an early adopter for most tech, but seem to really want the latest & greatest tech toys in my vehicles.

-John
it's sounding more like the ET is the way to go, especially if you tow. Now for the non-towers, there was a little bit of discussion that the 3.92's made off the line starts kinda "grabby" or something, and you could try a 3.21 to see if it was more controlled/smoother.

Since I have a 3.21 non ET, I guess I'm already smooooooth.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
it's sounding more like the ET is the way to go, especially if you tow. Now for the non-towers, there was a little bit of discussion that the 3.92's made off the line starts kinda "grabby" or something, and you could try a 3.21 to see if it was more controlled/smoother.

Since I have a 3.21 non ET, I guess I'm already smooooooth.

Where I drive, if you ain't first, you're last! In actuality, quick starts come in handy, and yet there's so much idling at lights. Then, if you want to tow over 8k lbs, the 3.92s are needed... and now you see why my truck has the 3.92s and eTorque :D

-John

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
Visited my service dept today for simple reflash of computer for the V71 recall. Service guy asked if I had the e-torque. I said no. He said good thing. Lots of problems and now we (dealers) can’t order them. We have few on the lot but customers are buying the regular Hemi to avoid problems later. Replacement module parts for the e-torque very scarce. Modules are starting to fail. I’ve read that some are fine and then just fail. From low mileage up to 10k. I decided to pass on the e-torque because I didn’t like the auto start stop thing. Had that on a diff vehicle. Anyone having issues yet?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visited my service dept today for simple reflash of computer for the V71 recall. Service guy asked if I had the e-torque. I said no. He said good thing. Lots of problems and now we (dealers) can’t order them. We have few on the lot but customers are buying the regular Hemi to avoid problems later. Replacement module parts for the e-torque very scarce. Modules are starting to fail. I’ve read that some are fine and then just fail. From low mileage up to 10k. I decided to pass on the e-torque because I didn’t like the auto start stop thing. Had that on a diff vehicle. Anyone having issues yet?
There have been a few reported issues; you can find more info by reading through this thread.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I chose the non-eTorque for several reasons.

1) eTorque reduces payload by 80lbs. I need payload for the towing that I do regularly. I got a well optioned truck but not fully loaded. I needed to prioritize my options to provide for enough payload.

2) In my opinion, after much research, eTorque doesn’t significantly improve performance nor does it significantly improve mileage (less than 1 mpg based on Fuelly data). At least not enough to overcome the additional cost of the system in my case.

3) Not a fan of stop/start and rarely drive in heavy traffic.

4) I have heard of a few issues with the system. My main concern with this was that several of those issues left the vehicle undrivable. Another problem was reports of long waits for diagnosis and replacement parts.

I’m confident I made the right choice for me but everyone has different needs/priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread