5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5-6k Worth it? New vs Used

Wsmith

Reaction score
Warning: the following may be unpopular.

I see you "have to have" the Pano and I respect that however (just my .02), I've had vehicles where we "had" to have the sunroof. Part of us bought it for the kids to look out of as we drove, which they did, for about a week. After that, the dang thing was closed because it was too hot, too cold, too noisy, too bright, blah blah blah. Our current Lexus has it, ain't never opened it. Again, this is simply my experience with sunroofs and I know the pano is super cool and all but....
Eliminate the LED and the pano and you can have a great brand new truck at a price that doesn't push your budget. I know folks will say that when financed it only adds a few dollars a month but, in the end, it still costs more. There's more to life than payments.
I had one in my last truck, opened it once, it annoyed the hell out of me. Never opened it again.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering in your OP you mentioned the used trucks you
I’d buy new for sure, I’ve had problems with my 19’ ram. Ram is buying back tomorrow and I built a 2021. The full 3 year warranty and lemon law option would be worth the extra money to me buying new. As someone else said you never know why someone traded it so early? I trade mine every 3-4 years with around 30,000 miles and besides needing tires there has been nothing wrong with any of the trucks I’ve traded in, however that’s not always the case. As far as the pano roof goes, it’s not for me, but I would rather have the 12” screen and air ride. Everyone has their opinion, however when your spending this much money, buy what you want. Even if you only use it a few times a year, if it makes you happy that all that matters. Just like I smile when I look at my 12” screen, did I need it, no but I wanted it! If you can swing the payments I’d definitely buy new unless you find a hell of a deal! Good luck in whatever you decide👍🏻
were looking at were around 38k, I’d say it sounds like a pretty good deal. If it’s got everything you want and a clean carfax I’d say go ahead and pull the trigger.
Have you checked the Kelly blue book price? Clean car fax is good, but could be ways to hide things there too. I guess if it seems like a good deal and you get them down 500 more might be worth it?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
If you have a trade-in there may be tax benefits to buying new. That's the case where I live and it's an added incentive that doesn't cost the dealership anything.

86grand

Reaction score
Think I’m going to lock down this deal.

2019 big horn
Level 2 equip
North edition
LED Lights
19k miles
Mats and wheel liners but Bedliner
34,900 plus TTL

asking was 35,900. They have told me 34900 is absolute best. If I go for 500 more off or walk away it will sell everything I have looked at has sold in 3 days or less.

versus new this is just too good to pass up. Thoughts?
Is is used or CPO? My previous was a CPO and added 100k power train and added 3k bumper to bumper warranty so made it a better choice at the time. If you are getting a good deal, you could always get extended Mopar warranty since the factory will be up in less than a year for 2019s.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
To answer above questions. It was a lease trade in. Still one year left on warranty. I’m saving 8k+ versus new so I can easily get extended warranty if I feel it is necessary.

I will be trading in and you get up to 10k of trade in value off of the sales tax of new purchase so I will get that too.

price is below Kbb/nada/truecar

I think this is way to go, with twins coming I can put that money elsewhere.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Update. I walked away (virtually) although I didn’t want too and they called back and came down another $250. So $34650 and I took it. Would have taken the 34900 but had to give it one more shot. Pending a visual inspection Friday the deal will be done.
No pano but everything else I wanted with low miles and less then I planned to spend. I feel good about the deal and can’t wait to learn more from this forum. Thanks all!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update. I walked away (virtually) although I didn’t want too and they called back and came down another $250. So $34650 and I took it. Would have taken the 34900 but had to give it one more shot. Pending a visual inspection Friday the deal will be done.
No pano but everything else I wanted with low miles and less then I planned to spend. I feel good about the deal and can’t wait to learn more from this forum. Thanks all!
Happy for you, I hope you have great luck with it. I looked it up and I think that was a very fair price. I really enjoy driving the hemi👍🏻

Ramtrx

Reaction score
I wish I had the 2019 I have when I first had kids. Even with my 13 it sucked with having car seats. But the 5th gen crew cab has 4” more space and I’m telling you it’s amazing. Flat bottom in the back. No bump. Back seat is larger and can accommodate 3 full size car seats. I absolutely would recommend a new model for the convenience with kids.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
do they provide you with any warranty?
It has 14 months and or 17k miles left on factory bumper to bumper(I only drive maybe 9k annually) With the money I am saving may look into extended bumper to bumper warranty but I hear it’s cheaper to get aftermarket. Anyone have experience w that?

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
It has 14 months and or 17k miles left on factory bumper to bumper(I only drive maybe 9k annually) With the money I am saving may look into extended bumper to bumper warranty but I hear it’s cheaper to get aftermarket. Anyone have experience w that?
Go with the FCA backed Maximum Care, it’s bumper to bumper. Really good rates through Zeigler auto group. Put PAYINFULL in the promotional code box for maximum discount. I think you should be able to get a 100k total miles and 8 total year from new coverage with a $200 deductible for about $1900. Or 8 year 85k mile for less than $1400.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Go with the FCA backed Maximum Care, it’s bumper to bumper. Really good rates through Zeigler auto group. Put PAYINFULL in the promotional code box for maximum discount. I think you should be able to get a 100k total miles and 8 total year from new coverage with a $200 deductible for about $1900. Or 8 year 85k mile for less than $1400.
Ya know if ol’ Joe in DC wants to send me a couple K that I never worked for, maybe I will get the extended warranty, at those prices...

Users who are viewing this thread