5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5-6k Worth it? New vs Used

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Hi all, been in market and reading this site for months now, excited to be a part of the community soon. The negotiated from MSRP topic has been helpful. Here’s my situation.

Buying in next weekish(end of month or potentially waiting to see feb rebates). I know what I want options wise.

Big Horn crew cab
Level 2
Sport
LED lights
Pano roof (can’t go without)
Black/grey/white in color any will work
8.4 screen
No axle ratio preference
4x4

I have a few options used, 2019 with around 20k miles that fit the needs. Prices on them are all around 38k, with negotiation probably 37ish some maybe a little less.
Now I have also shopped new but I have twins coming (hence need for bigger truck ha) so my absolute max budget is 42 before TTL. I see new models same options for about 44ish but not knowing feb rebates it’s unknown where that price may go. I know market is crazy right now, new and used. Should I just pull the trigger on a good used and be done with it or try to ride out new rebates and hope to see prices go down or more negotiable in February? I’m in Illinois and don’t want to travel more than a few hours to purchase.

Thanks in advance!

fsjosh

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to go new. You don't know why that one got traded in so soon. Does it have a warranty that will match the one on the new? Another thing to consider is that interest rates will often be cheaper on a new truck. It might get the payment closer than the actual price suggests. I'd say if the advertised price with rebates is at 44, telling a dealer the 42 will get it done, very well might get it done. Especially if you are willing to walk and they know you'll go to another dealer.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go new, your probly going to be at your max budget.

Incentives might change on you depending on the time of month you are going.

I was in a similar situation. I shopped around for new/used trucks that have been sitting on the lot for a while (car guru helped on that front).

I had a dead set price...that price was the "out the door price"...which was 1-2k lower than my max. This includes tax and tags. I made them work for my business...regardless of the incentives.

Also...get pre-approved BEFORE you go in. You can get pre-apprived at Chrysler capital (but they don't show you your apr...which is a bummer), but I tried other places like capital one, and chase banks. I walked in with all of this info....and I STILL walked out that first day.

They called me the next day with a better deal, and I was home free :)

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

flyfingers

Reaction score
Warning: the following may be unpopular.

I see you "have to have" the Pano and I respect that however (just my .02), I've had vehicles where we "had" to have the sunroof. Part of us bought it for the kids to look out of as we drove, which they did, for about a week. After that, the dang thing was closed because it was too hot, too cold, too noisy, too bright, blah blah blah. Our current Lexus has it, ain't never opened it. Again, this is simply my experience with sunroofs and I know the pano is super cool and all but....
Eliminate the LED and the pano and you can have a great brand new truck at a price that doesn't push your budget. I know folks will say that when financed it only adds a few dollars a month but, in the end, it still costs more. There's more to life than payments.

fsjosh

Reaction score

I see you "have to have" the Pano and I respect that however (just my .02), I've had vehicles where we "had" to have the sunroof. Part of us bought it for the kids to look out of as we drove, which they did, for about a week. After that, the dang thing was closed because it was too hot, too cold, too noisy, too bright, blah blah blah. Our current Lexus has it, ain't never opened it. Again, this is simply my experience with sunroofs and I know the pano is super cool and all but....
Eliminate the LED and the pano and you can have a great brand new truck at a price that doesn't push your budget. I know folks will say that when financed it only adds a few dollars a month but, in the end, it still costs more. There's more to life than payments.

My last truck had a sunroof. I probably didn't open more than 2-3 times a year. Most of the time I kept the cover closed as the sunlight coming through the closed sunroof was still annoying. Windows down and rear slider opened gave me more airflow than I'd need otherwise. Now the T-tops in my Camaro when I was 18 spent more time in the trunk than on the roof. lol So YMMV

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
X2 above, never open the pano, worthless and heavy option for us. Others love theirs but its a what, $1700 option?

What do you mean you have no preference for axle gears? 🤔 That’s almost sacriligious on this forum, why you’ve just eliminated about 33% of the postings which argue one or the other! 😬🙄

I’d go new. New is, well, nice. 🌝
New smell, full warranty, ability to get an extended warranty for less. Also, you are/were the only driver. 👍
No previous owner who forgot to change oil till he traded it in 🙄
No burnouts or drifting “just because I can”.
No “Can this really go 100 mph?”
Etc...

obrien

Reaction score
How long are you going to keep it? If I wanted truck for 2-3 years I would go with used and I then probably sell it close to purchasing price. But if you plan to keep it for 5+ years I would recommend going with new since these trucks hold value so well that the difference between new and used is small. It is not worth it imho.

I was at the same place in December and I went with new. For me it was to go with used Rebel or new BigHorn... I even had the similar requirements as you - except I wanted off road package and bed utility instead of sunroof (I don't like those, my personal preference). On the end I found Built-To-Serve package on BigHorn, which is in the middle between Rebel and Bighorn so I went with new.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Good advice from all so far. Definitely a couple things to think about.

Pano is a no no on here got it haha!! My wife has it on her GMC and we love it but you could be right I could probably try to live without it especially if that was the only thing holding me back from new.

LED lights I wouldn’t give up.

Warranty is fair and I too have to be ok with decision of probably 2”1 year left vs 3 on new. Although used may have things fixed already that I would run into w new.

I think if I can get a used at 35k it’s worth it and the 7k difference over new. But any less maybe not but that’s assuming I can get a new into my range.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
How long are you going to keep it? If I wanted truck for 2-3 years I would go with used and I then probably sell it close to purchasing price. But if you plan to keep it for 5+ years I would recommend going with new since these trucks hold value so well that the difference between new and used is small. It is not worth it imho.

I was at the same place in December and I went with new. For me it was to go with used Rebel or new BigHorn... I even had the similar requirements as you - except I wanted off road package and bed utility instead of sunroof (I don't like those, my personal preference). On the end I found Built-To-Serve package on BigHorn, which is in the middle between Rebel and Bighorn so I went with new.
Great point!! I’m usually a every 3-4 year guy. Hmm and the waters get muddier. Haha

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I would suggest increasing your search area and then using the prices you find to try to convince a local dealer to match if you aren't willing to travel a bit. Dealers around me often advertise 17+% off MSRP, I see a new 2021 Big Horn Built to Serve edition for 43k right now with the only "non-dealer" discounts being what look to be standard offers that add up to $4500.

The Pano is definitely not something you should hold off hoping to get, but it's one of those things you either won't do without or will and it's totally personal. Personally I live around too many trees that are prone to dropping branches in storms that just so happen to hit while I'm on the road instead of in the garage.

With regards to the LED headlights, do NOT go without those unless you immediately plan to drop in new housings with LEDs. You are asking for literally dangerous driving with how ridiculously dim the stock halogens are in every FCA (most others too if we're honest) line. If you don't believe me go look up the IIHS rankings that separates out the different headlights and see how dismal it is on curves.

Also don't forget the fact that you will at a minimum be getting a $4k tax credit once they are born, maybe even more depending on how some current legislative ideas pan out. So factor that into your monthly budget too.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I would suggest increasing your search area and then using the prices you find to try to convince a local dealer to match if you aren't willing to travel a bit. Dealers around me often advertise 17+% off MSRP, I see a new 2021 Big Horn Built to Serve edition for 43k right now with the only "non-dealer" discounts being what look to be standard offers that add up to $4500.

The Pano is definitely not something you should hold off hoping to get, but it's one of those things you either won't do without or will and it's totally personal. Personally I live around too many trees that are prone to dropping branches in storms that just so happen to hit while I'm on the road instead of in the garage.

With regards to the LED headlights, do NOT go without those unless you immediately plan to drop in new housings with LEDs. You are asking for literally dangerous driving with how ridiculously dim the stock halogens are in every FCA (most others too if we're honest) line. If you don't believe me go look up the IIHS rankings that separates out the different headlights and see how dismal it is on curves.

Also don't forget the fact that you will at a minimum be getting a $4k tax credit once they are born, maybe even more depending on how some current legislative ideas pan out. So factor that into your monthly budget too.
All good info above.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
LOL. I’m the same as the OP on the pano sunroof.
I would not get another vehicle without it. Just love opening it, even if it’s just the shade. Totally changes the feel of the vehicle, specially on trips.

Rexx

Reaction score
If you already have a sun roof on your other vehicle and love it, don’t let others talk you out of getting it. It’s your money and your truck. I have the sun roof and I love it as well. I probably only open it a few times a month, but I really enjoy having it those times I do open it, so to me, it’s worth the money.

As far as new vs used, I’d toss my vote towards new unless you get a really good deal on a used (little tough in the current market). Peace of mind with a new vehicle vs wondering if the 1-2 year old truck was a lease return or a lemon someone gave back.. the extra $ is worth going new to me.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a sunroof fan. But you basically need to separate your needs and wants.

When I started my search, everything on my list was a "must have", like pano, rambox, off road package and color.

When when i stared my shopping and reached out to dealers, life smacked me upside my head, because of course I can't "afford" all my options. I did even start the order process of a bighorn, with rambox, but no pano, LED headlights, and offroad package. It was a 2021, but the pricing was still high.

At the end, my dealer wanted to get rid of a 2020 ram laramie that matched my color...and got it for 15% off MSRP...thats out the door. I could say that I settled, but I got alot more features in the laramie that makes me very happy.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

jneto9508

Reaction score
Got mine used and got a better deal and interest rate with used. At the end of the day you know what you want and could afford.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Heck, for me the entire truck was a “want”, certainly not a “need”...
ha ha. The old “trusty rusty” I had before was still moving...🚚
1st world problem. 🤔🙄

Now that I’m trying to buy a house, I’d like my $56K back... 😫

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree with this. My last vehicle had the full sunroof and it was rarely opened - and at that time I HAD to have it. If the hubby was in the car he wanted the shade over it because the sun was too much on his bald head. LOL! When it came time for the truck I was find not having the pano roof. To each his own, but that's a ride I don't have to get back on.

Users who are viewing this thread