5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Off Road

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BLDS is not designed for high speed anything.

I want so badly to join in on the conversation...but not having a 5th Gen, the route to get there is different than my 4th Gen HeftyDuty.

Man, some very interesting stuff gets discussed in some very odd ways at this place.

Carry on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was a good video. He said basic 4WD without locker. I’m assuming it didn’t have limited slip, (said “without goodies”).

The BLD worked great, first off.

HIS terminology was a little off, he always referred to the Traction Control, even when traction control was turned off (4WD Low), but that does not matter. Never mentioned BLD but we know truck had it.

In 4WD LOW (where we know the traction control is off) the front and rear axle was able to get torque through the BLD by applying wheel braking, even when the other wheel was airborne. The front axle obviously has no LSD or locker, and the rear no locker and we have to assume no LSD also.

So from that video, the BLD works great.
Not a reason to not have locker or limited slip.

Note to self:
The best test for BLD with the switchology, is have one wheel on the axle in question
airborne.
Yes, I hope we all understand the feature that was doing the work was the BLD, which is part of traction control. And it was a very good video showcasing it. I'm glad I was able to find it again. The roller test really showed it in action the best. And was glad he mentioned that applying steady movement of gas pedal to keep power to wheels was needed for it to properly work. A lot of people try to gun it, or will stop and start to try and get it going

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people try to gun it, or will stop and start to try and get it going
These are the key things to avoid with it.

Which is why I can not figure out why there is such a need to try doing a burnout to prove it works. Makes no sense...but who am I.

Put the truck in something slippy, get the tires spinning, remain even and steady in the accelerator, the BLDS does its magic and out you come.

This is why it works best in 4wd low.

It is the single best thing, next to a Locked PowerWagon.

In numerous posts, I have explained to hold steady. Do not start/stop or Gun it.

Most Everytime, someone comes and says BLDS does not work...and Everytime they are shown to hold that throttle steady...wow...it works.

Great stuff.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happy to see to see how the truck performed on the rollers and wheel airborne tests.

The truck in 4WD Low, the BLD works awesome on BOTH front and rear. I know Ram said all trucks have it and nice to see confirmation on the front also.

The first test in 2WD on a single roller (didn’t turn TC off), it did not move off the rollers.
It was kind of a quick test. Maybe didn’t give it enough time, or maybe needed to turn off TC, but the BLD didn’t work. Any ideas?

I bet the truck with Power Reduction and braking on spinning wheel (TC On), was unable to pull off the rollers , especially the power reduction. I wish he tried just turning TC off and try again in 2WD as opposed to going straight to 4WD.

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I grew out of this phase of life 😉
Never too old to do donuts.😆

Just the other day I turned of TC and had some fun in the snow spinning a few. Miss the old days when we didn’t have all the extra crap to turn off. Takes the fun out of it.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just the other day I turned off TC and had some fun in the snow spinning a few. Miss the old days when we didn’t have all the extra crap to turn off. Takes the fun out of it.
Does take some fun out of it for sure. I still get too crazy in the mud. That’s why I always carry at least 1 chainsaw with me, prefer 2.
I have slid down too many off camber hills into the woods from the field. Cut my way out.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Just the other day I turned of TC and had some fun in the snow spinning a few. Miss the old days when we didn’t have all the extra crap to turn off. Takes the fun out of it.
Well, I had a corvette years ago and the rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles and I had to change them. Ever since then no burnouts or donuts haha. If I had s field to do it it maybe. But my subdivision frowns upon that

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I had a corvette years ago and the rear tires only lasted 5,000 miles and I had to change them. Ever since then no burnouts or donuts haha. If I had s field to do it it maybe. But my subdivision frowns upon that
Back in the day, I went through a full set of four tires every 6 months in my Dakota R/T for three years

LouNY

Reaction score
Happy to see to see how the truck performed on the rollers and wheel airborne tests.

The truck in 4WD Low, the BLD works awesome on BOTH front and rear. I know Ram said all trucks have it and nice to see confirmation on the front also.

The first test in 2WD on a single roller (didn’t turn TC off), it did not move off the rollers.
It was kind of a quick test. Maybe didn’t give it enough time, or maybe needed to turn off TC, but the BLD didn’t work. Any ideas?
It was impressive in that test.
However put that truck on a 25-26% slope on snow and ice and that system doesn't seem to work near that well.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
48-11 AWD t-case sucks for off road use in ANY range selection. That's something I learned 30 seconds after leaving a roadway for the first time. Never again will I buy a truck with AWD or "Auto".

In fact if I end up keeping this truck the t-case may get swapped out for a 48-12 at some point.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can see BLD working on this jeep. Not sure what diff he has, what traclock is, or if he had TC disabled, but he did get out of the ditch without grips.

Users who are viewing this thread