5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Off Road

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have paddles. I think you can fully disable by holding down the TC button, but not sure. I know we don't need to do this for the test, but just for curiosity sake.
Actually you DO need to turn off Traction Control for the test. I thought everyone had a ESC toggle. Yea, just push TC button. Or hold down. Should get TC off message.

If you don’t, the truck with apply brakes and cut engine power to reduce wheel slip, and BLD test will not work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but another thread about an aftermarket rear locker got me thinking about the BLD again.

Will you please just verify for me in grass or dirt, ESC partial off / TC off, 2WD, floor it and see if get 2 constant rears skids. I know you have an open diff, I just want to verify for myself that ALL differentials have it.

I have had a verification of rear locker rear (not locked) doing burnouts on pavement and my truck on grass, the LSD is always going to be limited slip, just no verification on “Conventional Diff Rear Axle”.

If you don’t want too, or if not convenient, no problem.

Thanks!
I can verify that with TC off(single push of button) and using my TazerDT for line lock, my truck will only spin one wheel on pavement, unless I use my e-locker.

Can also verify that, as you said, the nannies need vehicle speeds not wheel speed. My e-locker will stay engaged in the snow doing donuts even though rear wheel speed will get up to 60mph.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can verify that with TC off(single push of button) and using my TazerDT for line lock, my truck will only spin one wheel on pavement, unless I use my e-locker.

Can also verify that, as you said, the nannies need vehicle speeds not wheel speed. My e-locker will stay engaged in the snow doing donuts even though rear wheel speed will get up to 60mph.
Interesting.

I am wondering why Dewey got continuous dual wheel spin for a loooong while on asphalt
road, where you only get 1 wheel spin. Both trucks with locker not locked, TC off. He DID confirm that his axle was not locked.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting.

I am wondering why Dewey got continuous dual wheel spin for a loooong while on asphalt
road, where you only get 1 wheel spin. Both trucks with locker not locked, TC off. He DID confirm that his axle was not locked.
Exactly. All I did was disable traction control and let her eat with a slight brake torque.

B7A49285-1ED7-477D-A405-A0F37E4ECEA0.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting.

Wonder if the TazerDT line lock played a part?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn’t have my Tazer back then. Just a PedalCommander which I doubt made any difference.

Edit:Sorry guess you were talking about yours.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try some braking initially while petal to the floor. Also try without Tazer first.

I know with my truck, axle not locked, TC off, let the big dog eat with no braking and I’m digging 2 ruts in dirt and grass.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Actually you DO need to turn off Traction Control for the test. I thought everyone had a ESC toggle. Yea, just push TC button. Or hold down. Should get TC off message.

If you don’t, the truck with apply brakes and cut engine power to reduce wheel slip, and BLD test will not work.
I see. I don’t have an ESC button just TC. On some trucks you can hold the button to turn off everything, not sure if ours to that. I’ll just press it once and mash the gas

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see. I don’t have an ESC button just TC. On some trucks you can hold the button to turn off everything, not sure if ours to that. I’ll just press it once and mash the gas.
Yep,
Im interested to see how your truck does. Should be able to “break the rear end loose”, and dig 2 ruts, do dognuts, and have some fun. But I would just like to know if you get dual ruts.

Sooo,
Note to all wanting to get your 2WD or 4WD to perform in all conditions OFF ROAD - turn TC Off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Try some braking initially while petal to the floor. Also try without Tazer first.

I know with my truck, axle not locked, TC off, let the big dog eat with no braking and I’m digging 2 ruts in dirt and grass.
Pavement and dirt are different mediums to be trying on. Easier on dirt

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Easier on snow, easier on ice also.
Are you getting at something, or think I didn’t know?
You're saying how easy it is to spin both wheels on dirt. You can do that with an open diff without BLD.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're saying how easy it is to spin both wheels on dirt. You can do that with an open diff without BLD.
No you can’t.

I am just verifying how the BLD works on my truck with the locker not locked with TC off. Not bragging on how easy to get dual wheel spin… what the heck. Check it on ice, snow, mud, snot, pavement.

I am trying to confirm that the BLD works on ALL axle types, that’s all.

I have confirmed on every axle type except the Conventional Open Axle.

I have confirmed some other things when it comes to you.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No you can’t.

I am just verifying how the BLD works on my truck with the locker not locked with TC off. Not bragging on how easy to get dual wheel spin… what the heck. Check it on ice, snow, mud, snot, pavement.

I am trying to confirm that the BLD works on ALL axle types, that’s all.

I have confirmed on every axle type except the Conventional Open Axle.

I have confirmed some other things when it comes to you.
I have most definitely spun both wheels on dirt/gravel with vehicles that had open differentials. It's not hard.

Trying to verify BLD by doing burnouts isn't an ideal method. That's not really how it's designed to work. And if you say an open diff can't spin both wheels, the BLD isn't going to allow it to, it will just switch back and forth which wheel is spinning

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have most definitely spun both wheels on dirt/gravel with vehicles that had open differentials. It's not hard.
I would love to see an open axle dig 2 continuous ruts in grass, dirt. Not just spin both for a nano second. The wheel with the least resistance determine the torque applied to the other wheel.
Once 1 wheel starts spinning, or in the air, etc, the other will get that same torque and usually not going anywhere in mud, ice, etc. or 1 wheel airborn. On pavement usually 1 wheel burnout, except in the very very rare instance of both wheels getting the Exact same resistance on a straight line.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Trying to verify BLD by doing burnouts isn't an ideal method. That's not really how it's designed to work. And if you say an open diff can't spin both wheels, the BLD isn't going to allow it to, it will just switch back and forth which wheel is spinning

Attachments

• E2EC0B47-847A-4655-A9BB-5690F3D2E9E0.jpeg
    E2EC0B47-847A-4655-A9BB-5690F3D2E9E0.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 25

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep,
Im interested to see how your truck does. Should be able to “break the rear end loose”, and dig 2 ruts, do dognuts, and have some fun. But I would just like to know if you get dual ruts.

Sooo,
Note to all wanting to get your 2WD or 4WD to perform in all conditions OFF ROAD - turn TC Off.
Cool. and in 4 low tc and esc are completely off for 4wd

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

We are spinning and keeping torque to both wheels continuously due to the BLD axle. The BLD tries to keep both wheels spinning at the same speed.

I’m going to wait on info showing your position, and would love a video of dual rear continuous burnouts with open diffs!!!

Attachments

• F0F9A7C4-4D35-4739-B262-E23B8EB7AB5A.jpeg
    F0F9A7C4-4D35-4739-B262-E23B8EB7AB5A.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 13

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here’s my attempt. It’s a nasty foggy morning so pics aren’t too good. Gravel road. Spun them for about 3 seconds but both wheels were definitely spinning. Made two piles of gravel at the start.
A2A401E1-8FF5-4C88-BC35-4261C0A66999.jpeg 94CDAB1D-9C7A-454C-9266-3C604950EEF2.jpeg 2AB51A8A-F35B-45D3-B6BB-84D580EA0748.jpeg 61EA788F-2759-4A0C-937C-395D2CB520E0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread