5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Gen HD Rams and the end of a Manual gear shifter and 3rd Pedal

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It is the upgrade radio on the tradesman trim...

Got to do some research on the 5th wheel prep and the 20000lb 5th wheel.

With the LED Bed lighting...is it in all 4 corners or just the tailgate side?

Just the tailgate side, I can take photos of mine if you want.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure if you get a chance. Does it come on when you release the tailgate and/or is there a switch?

They come on with the cargo light switch, and also when you unlock the truck. They might come on when you drop the tailgate, I honestly can't remember since I have a tonneau cover on. I'll check today and take some pics.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They come on with the cargo light switch, and also when you unlock the truck. They might come on when you drop the tailgate, I honestly can't remember since I have a tonneau cover on. I'll check today and take some pics.
Thanks. I have never put so much thought into anything...then couple this with trying to figure out how to get the angry bee (challeged scat pack 1320)...I got to campaign on capital hill for a government order for more railcars...lol

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have never put so much thought into anything...then couple this with trying to figure out how to get the angry bee (challeged scat pack 1320)...I got to campaign on capital hill for a government order for more railcars...lol

That makes two of us. I'm trying to figure out how to get a 5thgen and a Challenger 1320.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Found my answer about the 5th wheel, it is actually cheaper after the fact as Mopar has it on sale right now.

Screenshot_2018-08-01-09-19-16.png
And this may be my first mod...make people question if it is a long bed powerwagon lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since we had so many 3.21 vs 3.92 discussions...one last thing to debate...3.73 or 4.10...since my V10 is 3.55 and the Hemi is pretty close to the same power...think I am going to go with the 3.73...as I don't plan on being near capacity with this truck...yet.

It has the anti spin and this off road package doesn't offer a locker...so that was easy:eek: :D

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since we had so many 3.21 vs 3.92 discussions...one last thing to debate...3.73 or 4.10...since my V10 is 3.55 and the Hemi is pretty close to the same power...think I am going to go with the 3.73...as I don't plan on being near capacity with this truck...yet.

It has the anti spin and this off road package doesn't offer a locker...so that was easy:eek::D
LOVE having a 4.10 in my current and previous trucks (6.0L and 8.1L V8s). Just thought I'd throw a wrench into your plans ;)

Rustydodge

Reaction score

It has the anti spin and this off road package doesn't offer a locker...so that was easy:eek::D

If you're going with the 6.4, get the 4.10. You'll never regret getting 4.10 but you may regret getting 3.73. Couple thousand pounds extra tow rating, and in my research for the HDs the 4.10 get as good or better mileage with the 6 speed. Helps move all that weight.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Uconnect 3 with 5 inch display...I know in the world of 12" screens this isn't that exciting, but I plan to get this radio.

Have the 5 inch screen in my 14 Outdoorsman. No problems with it so far. Had 1 update on it maybe a year after I got it. Only thing I noticed was it made the back up screen just a little smaller maybe 1/4 inch on either side so you only see 4 1/2 inches instead of the full 5 inches.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would try to go with the 4.10 if it was me, that said if you found a truck equipped exactly as you want but with 3.73s and there isn't a truck equipped the same but with 4.10s, go with the 3.73s if you don't think you'll be bumping up to its max capabilities.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would try to go with the 4.10 if it was me, that said if you found a truck equipped exactly as you want but with 3.73s and there isn't a truck equipped the same but with 4.10s, go with the 3.73s if you don't think you'll be bumping up to its max capabilities.

Well, truth be told, found the truck...actually 3 weeks ago...and have been trying to convince myself 3.73 would be ok. Of course I want 4.10s...but I have used my V10 for all kinds of weight in payload and trailers and never felt inadequate with 3.55 so I figure what the heck.

Then @SpeedyV threw that wrench and @Rustydodge gives the recommendation, so guess I will ponder it some more. Was gonna head to the dealer tonight...but I got a month...see if maybe the deal can get better...all I got is patience:cautious::cry::ROFLMAO::mad:;)

Thanks @Jared B for atleast making me feel that finding a truck with all I want but the 4.10s is worth getting...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, truth be told, found the truck...actually 3 weeks ago...and have been trying to convince myself 3.73 would be ok. Of course I want 4.10s...but I have used my V10 for all kinds of weight in payload and trailers and never felt inadequate with 3.55 so I figure what the heck.

Then @SpeedyV threw that wrench and @Rustydodge gives the recommendation, so guess I will ponder it some more. Was gonna head to the dealer tonight...but I got a month...see if maybe the deal can get better...all I got is patience:cautious::cry::ROFLMAO::mad:;)

Thanks @Jared B for atleast making me feel that finding a truck with all I want but the 4.10s is worth getting...
Either way, I imagine you'll have plenty of capability. Your old 488 provides 450 lb-ft @ 2,400 RPM...a good bit more twist down low than the 392 (429 lb-ft @4,000 RPM). The 4.10s would help you compensate for that off the line, but they're not a "must". You're also gaining an extra gear or two over your old truck, which will help keep you in the powerband. The 6.4 will likely just pull all day at a little higher RPM than your existing engine.

I've experienced the same thing, although I'm rarely towing. My 6.0L (with 4.10s) will rev all day at 3-4K RPM when pulling a load, but that's what it's designed to do. By comparison, my old 8.1L rarely felt the need to downshift. It took a minute to adjust to the change.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

And by the way, if I didn't have a '19 Ram 1500 on order, I'd be having a tough time deciding between the granite Power Wagon, a white Chevy 2500 HD "Custom Sport", and a ruby Super Duty Platinum...

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Well...a new truck in the driveway is better than not having a new truck in the driveway :) If you've found one on a lot that has everything except 4.10s, I'd say go get it! But get that dealer to come down first.

My approach with gearing is, I know i'll likely get slightly bigger/heavier than stock tires eventually, so with 4.10s to start with, i'd end up closer to a 3.73 final ratio after the new tires. But i've almost talked myself into getting a 3.21 geared 1500 just because it had almost all the other options i'm looking for, so i know where you're coming from.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the lights. They come on when you unlock the truck with the fob, have a door open or turn the cargo lights on. They don't turn on just by dropping the tailgate.

20180803_131526.jpg
20180803_131531.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Really want to get this truck, really want an Angry Bee, really enjoy no payments, what is the new powerwagon going to offer, what if, what if what if, lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I learned somethin (taught myself) at truck nationals. Really want the 60/40 split rear bench and woukd like the front storage in the center seat bottom cushion...but it isn't a tradesman option...isn't an slt option...have to go all the way to bighorn to get it.

Well, that was info I kinda knew, but guess I won't be getting those options.

Getting anxious about this truck...just can't pull the trigger yet.

Users who are viewing this thread