5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Gen HD Rams and the end of a Manual gear shifter and 3rd Pedal

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, as I ponder the lose of 3 pedals and a stick shift in a truck, I have ran into some decisions that are getting confusing. In the realm I just buy what I want things are easy, check the Cummins box and the G56 box. Well, that brought up more thoughts and well, a trip to build and price where the confusion begins.

2017 and 2018 are listed. Hmm, as I build one of each, the packages make no sense.

Now 2019 orders will be coming soon, and that adds to the choices.

Ultimately, I am not interested in the Cummins this go around, but a Manual disappearing has me thinking I should grab one...a 2019.

Too many decisions.

I have seen a few others are in this boat.

Thoughts....

Last edited:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally I would say wait and see the new HDs and make your decision from there. Where that gets sticky is I don't know if you will still be able to order a 2019 after the 2020 is shown and with such a low take rate of the G56, finding one you like on a lot could prove difficult. You can base a lot of the technology etc that the 2020 will get off the 2019 1500s and really I'd say the best thing to do would be decide which is more important to you, having the manual truck, or the technology that will be coming.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Snow Chief and Off Road package. Each one has something the other doesn't but they share some options. Can you get both? Could the price be less if you do?

On the 2017 it lists the off road package, but on 2018 it didn't.

Is build and price really that bad?

Probably going to get a Tradesman...with Powerwagon package.

But I really want to have that G56.

But now we got new Powerwagon pics and still have to wait til January to get all the good details for sure.

Meanwhile, speculation looks good and bad.

Decisions.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks, all ours is at double time and while we still get a bit if we want it, awhile ago it was pretty much a free for all. We were writing our own checks.
Ours was too, you decided your yearly wage. Good times...they may be back soon, or it will get worse lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still pondering this debacle. Not really wanting a Cummins, all but decided on a longbed, and have been Reading some good things about the 6.4l Hemi.

Offroad package and Snow chief package are must haves.

The 99 is due for inspection and she really needs some new metal added...

Time will tell.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Still pondering this debacle. Not really wanting a Cummins, all but decided on a longbed, and have been Reading some good things about the 6.4l Hemi.

Offroad package and Snow chief package are must haves.

The 99 is due for inspection and she really needs some new metal added...

Time will tell.

If it was me I would say wait until January and then make your decision. If you're not digging the new HD, pick up a 2018 on the lot for a bigger discount if the configuration you're looking for isn't rare in your area, but if you do like the new HD you could order and not kick yourself for not waiting. ;)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if we go 2018 I have decided on 2500...the 3500 doesn't get the off road package.

Think we are gonna try granite crystal.

Kicked around the idea of a regular cab, but we are gonna go Crew Cab...8 foot bed.

Pretty sure we are getting the 6.4 Hemi

5th wheel prep package...just in case.

Does anyone know if the 5th wheel which lists at $1050 can be bought later on at that price?

Anyone have any experience wiring up the I/P mounted auxiliary switches...we are getting the Snow Chief package.

Got this camping/truck show trip to make, and then I think the 99 will have to have some surgery performed...

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if we go 2018 I have decided on 2500...the 3500 doesn't get the off road package.

Kicked around the idea of a regular cab, but we are gonna go Crew Cab...8 foot bed.

Does anyone know if the 5th wheel which lists at $1050 can be bought later on at that price?

Anyone have any experience wiring up the I/P mounted auxiliary switches...we are getting the Snow Chief package.

Got this camping/truck show trip to make, and then I think the 99 will have to have some surgery performed...

I've really become a fan of granite crystal over the past year or so. The 2500 with off road package is a nice choice if you're staying with a gasser.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've really become a fan of granite crystal over the past year or so. The 2500 with off road package is a nice choice if you're staying with a gasser.
Yeah, I want a Powerwagon, but it doesn't have the capacity I need. After realizing we are always using the bed extender...we need the 8 foot bed...and then will probably still use the extender.

As much as I want a 5th Gen HD...I think we will be waiting a year or 2 after the launch, so I think one more 4th Gen will be in the drive way. To be honest...if the deal I want comes through...I found the truck and the 99 will go to the restoration Phase of life.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

the wife's granite crystal is gorgeous.!! she has a 2017 jgc summit with the appearance package. you will not be disappointed. good call(y)

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Uconnect 3 with 5 inch display...I know in the world of 12" screens this isn't that exciting, but I plan to get this radio.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Uconnect 3 with 5 inch display...I know in the world of 12" screens this isn't that exciting, but I plan to get this radio.

I personally haven't used one but know people with it. From what I've heard it shouldn't give you any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread