5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light leak VS. cracked frame

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
The new and improved light came in today and the seal definitely looks much better. Unfortunately I still have a small leak after putting the new light in. So off to the dealer I go to see what they say it is but my guess is that I'll be getting new window.
Did you clean the spot where the 3rd brake light sits before putting the new one on? If it was leaking previously and dirt got behind the new gasket, it could leak again. If you don't have the rear window cracks that can leak, it may be the antenna leaking.

It's also possible that you don't have the inside window cracks, but have the external cracks. pull the 3rd brake light off again and look for hairline cracks just below where the 3rd brake light ends on either side. I am still waiting on the shop to get my new rear window in for replacement, but i saw the cracks there and filled them with a tiny amount of black silicone, and it's no longer leaking.

ws6guy

Reaction score
Yep I cleaned around the area where the light mounts. When I pulled the light off I didn't see any signs of water leaking around the light. I didn't think to look at the inside of the window frame while I had the light off. I have an appointment at the dealer, 4 weeks was the earliest they could get me in. As of right now the leak is very minor but if it gets worse before the appointment I might pull the light back off and take a look at the window.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a leak. Put FlexSeal tape inside and outside of the third brake light with silicone around the edges. Permatex flowable silicone in the crack on the outside. Silicone across the entire top of the window on the inside. Black window sealant in the corners. Silicone around the inside of the antenna connection. Finally woke up today after heavy rain with no water. Now just to clean up the excess silicone and put the headliner back.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The weather stripping from Lowe`s might not be all that it is cracked to be.
I have the new light on order.
I used the marine weather seal from home depot about 3 years ago and haven't had a leak since. Not saying this would be the case for everyone but so far so good for me🤞.

St-na

Reaction score
Few months after 3d brake light leak I noticed a small leak again, made a hose test, this time for sure different reason. Can not see top frame, because FCA from '21 build a nice gutter on top, in order to guide the leak to the corners! Truck is still under warranty, but to save my nerves and time, I would rather join "Permatex club". Still in love 🥰 with my truck!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys. As I was informing my brother today to check his headliner for leaks I figured I’d check mine again. Sure enough I’ve got the cracked frame and stained headliner in the corners by the speakers. Now I know this has been discussed to death in other threads which I’ve read.

My question though is this. To repair the cracks, is that where people have been getting their entire glass assembly replaced? Also, has anyone had an indigo frost headliner cleaned successfully? Just wondering if I can avoid a full replacement.

thanks for the info.
Actually - from my experience (and we posted photos to FCA to have the TSB changed as well) - the Antenna becomes loose and causes a MASSIVE leak such as yours. I replaced the rear 3rd brake seal, then the entire housing with the newer seal (2 separate TSBs), then the rear glass. While waiting 6 months for replacement carpets (due to mold/mildew), the truck was still leaking. Realized the antenna was being "played" with from the car wash. I used clear windshield seal on the new antenna (they use some 4 finger prong thingy as their retainer). No problems yet, but I refuse to run the truck through the dealer's wash (their roof cleaner has those drapped rags hanging down that go side-to-side). I'm looking at other car washes (either touchless or one whose roof cleaner is a rotating brush instead of side-to-side).

St-na

Reaction score
Actually - from my experience (and we posted photos to FCA to have the TSB changed as well) - the Antenna becomes loose and causes a MASSIVE leak such as yours. I replaced the rear 3rd brake seal, then the entire housing with the newer seal (2 separate TSBs), then the rear glass. While waiting 6 months for replacement carpets (due to mold/mildew), the truck was still leaking. Realized the antenna was being "played" with from the car wash. I used clear windshield seal on the new antenna (they use some 4 finger prong thingy as their retainer). No problems yet, but I refuse to run the truck through the dealer's wash (their roof cleaner has those drapped rags hanging down that go side-to-side). I'm looking at other car washes (either touchless or one whose roof cleaner is a rotating brush instead of side-to-side).
It's pretty easy to find the source of a leak. Garden hose is my friend. Antenna leak is not very common, but possible.

ws6guy

Reaction score
Getting my window replaced under bumper to bumper warranty. The service adviser said they had to order a part, I said a new window? His response was, no a window frame. Don't think he had any clue what was getting repaired. The service ticket says new window frame and a window shop to come on site to install. I wish I could have them put on non-slider in under warranty but I'm sure they have to fix it to how it came off the assembly line.

St-na

Reaction score
Getting my window replaced under bumper to bumper warranty. The service adviser said they had to order a part, I said a new window? His response was, no a window frame. Don't think he had any clue what was getting repaired. The service ticket says new window frame and a window shop to come on site to install. I wish I could have them put on non-slider in under warranty but I'm sure they have to fix it to how it came off the assembly line.
I went to Southfork Dodge Yesterday and they have replaced my rear window same day. There were no cracks, just bad seal at the corner. 2 Years warranty for the job. My 36/3years warranty is over after 500miles.

Attachments

• 20230425_111856.jpg
    20230425_111856.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21

ws6guy

Reaction score
I'll have to ask about the 2 year warranty as I'll be out of bumper to bumper in about 6 months

St-na

Reaction score
I'll have to ask about the 2 year warranty as I'll be out of bumper to bumper in about 6 months
They said it is a general rule, 2 years warranty on parts and a labor from the dealer.

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
cf22d906872b04365c6e164ef65916b5.jpg

07e67728dfa264004df2e4b92eab0bbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

Is XG1 the extension?? I didn't see this in my mopar account.

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
What year do you have? I believe it’s only for certain years right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

ok, it states. 2019 - 2021 RAM 1500 Pickup (certain ones by VIN).

Its been stated that they improved the gasket and assembly, so the 22's and 23's appear to already have the newer assembly and aren't included in the warranty extension.

frisby5

Reaction score
ok, it states. 2019 - 2021 RAM 1500 Pickup (certain ones by VIN).

Its been stated that they improved the gasket and assembly, so the 22's and 23's appear to already have the newer assembly and aren't included in the warranty extension.
I have a 22 built in July last year it does not have the upgraded gasket. I was installing LEDs in the chsml and looked at it mine does not have the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread