5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light leak VS. cracked frame

raygun9

Reaction score
For anyone interested. This is the AH 3rd brake light. Skip g and go h. This gasket isn’t the same foam anymore and it’s substantially taller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89b042a7cc5df58213f61073bfbcb7a8.jpg
Now thats a gasket.... got a link?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
Now thats a gasket.... got a link?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
This is the one I purchased \/. Do yourself the favor even if you don't have a leak, just get the new one and replace it. It looks like it'll sit way up from the cab roof before you screw it in, but it has a positive seal feeling when screwing it in. going to water test it here shortly.

LINK!!

U

User_3336

This is the one I purchased \/. Do yourself the favor even if you don't have a leak, just get the new one and replace it. It looks like it'll sit way up from the cab roof before you screw it in, but it has a positive seal feeling when screwing it in. going to water test it here shortly.

LINK!!
DAMN, $13 shipping?

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
BTW: I water tested it for over an hour and no leaks. just leaked 2 days ago from a rain storm with the old one, so I think she's water tight again. Even used a scope to watch behind the headliner. no drips!

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
Do you need to purchase the whole assembly to get the gasket? That's what it looks like.

That would be my guess, yes. the mounting surface appeared wider also, like they changed the light mold to fit a wider gasket.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like closed cell foam, like marine gasket that has been used as a diy.

So they admit the previous gasket wasn't sufficient, yet if you're out of the 3/36 warranty, and have a leak due to the original gasket, you get to pound sand. Good times.

frisby5

Reaction score
Is most of the issues on back windows with sliding rear window? My truck is one solid piece no sliding glass. I have a BH 2022

St-na

Reaction score
On my 14' RaM 3d brake light started to leak when the truck turned 2.y.o, exactly the same happened with my 21', so seems like no improvements from FCA. I got a habit in 2016, every time I am leaving carwash, I check my back window from the cabin mirror. Good gasket with silicone normally fixing the issue for 6+ years, but considering possibilities of the cracked frame, still makes sense to check. Many people finding this leak, when the truck is almost flooded.

yellowboy

Reaction score
On my 14' RaM 3d brake light started to leak when the truck turned 2.y.o, exactly the same happened with my 21', so seems like no improvements from FCA. I got a habit in 2016, every time I am leaving carwash, I check my back window from the cabin mirror. Good gasket with silicone normally fixing the issue for 6+ years, but considering possibilities of the cracked frame, still makes sense to check. Many people finding this leak, when the truck is almost flooded.
I get it but we should not have to check for leaks everytime we get in our trucks. That is why I am dumping my POS soon. I'm tired of it, I want to start it and go.

St-na

Reaction score
I like my RaM very much, I was with f150 before and not even thinking to switch back to Ford or any other brands.

U

User_3336

I like my RaM very much, I was with f150 before and not even thinking to switch back to Ford or any other brands.
Good lord no! I would never switch back to the F150.

If I had a choice and was going to trade, I'd trade for a Nissan Titan Pro-4X

ws6guy

Reaction score
Just purchased my 2021 3 weeks ago and today I noticed the slightest amoutnt of water behind the interior plastic trim on passenger rear corner of the window. It looked a little damp so I pushed on the trim and that's when a few drops of water came out. I couldn't find a trace of water anywhere else and my window frame isn't cracked. Could the 3rd brake light cause a leak all the way at the corner window or would it be more than likely the window itself?

Also attached pic is what the 3rd brake light gasket looks like. Looks like the upper gasket is coming loose. Regardless if it's the cause of the current leak I'm going to by the new version since it's cheap.

I still have about 10 months of warranty left but spending $23 is easier for me than dropping off at the dealer. But if it still leaks I'll take it in to see what they say.

PXL_20230312_215500476.jpg

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
Just purchased my 2021 3 weeks ago and today I noticed the slightest amoutnt of water behind the interior plastic trim on passenger rear corner of the window. It looked a little damp so I pushed on the trim and that's when a few drops of water came out. I couldn't find a trace of water anywhere else and my window frame isn't cracked. Could the 3rd brake light cause a leak all the way at the corner window or would it be more than likely the window itself?

Also attached pic is what the 3rd brake light gasket looks like. Looks like the upper gasket is coming loose. Regardless if it's the cause of the current leak I'm going to by the new version since it's cheap.

I still have about 10 months of warranty left but spending $23 is easier for me than dropping off at the dealer. But if it still leaks I'll take it in to see what they say.

View attachment 154444
Looks like 3d brake. I had the same leak.

ws6guy

Reaction score
The new and improved light came in today and the seal definitely looks much better. Unfortunately I still have a small leak after putting the new light in. So off to the dealer I go to see what they say it is but my guess is that I'll be getting new window.

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
So is this the new gasket used in newer trucks?
Yes. this is what comes on the 2022+. Works on 2019+ though without issue. At first it feels like the light is going to stick up. once you torque it down though, it's flush.

Users who are viewing this thread