5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light leak VS. cracked frame

Albino3006

Reaction score
No, replacing the rear glass. The frame is cracked (common problem), and it can't be replaced separate from the glass. So, my dealer quoted $1,400 to replace the glass. I just bought a tube of Permatex and caulked it.
On the caulking, did you caulk up near the top of the inside channel of the window? or did you caulk the gap on the outside of the cab? I just bought a 2019 BH and noticed i have the crack on the frame above both sides (L & R) that are even with the sliding back glass frame. Would caulking there even matter as well? just trying to do like everyone else and fix the engineering mistake from Ram.

FWIW, my 2017 4th gen also leaked, just replaced the 3rd BL and no issues.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
On the caulking, did you caulk up near the top of the inside channel of the window? or did you caulk the gap on the outside of the cab? I just bought a 2019 BH and noticed i have the crack on the frame above both sides (L & R) that are even with the sliding back glass frame. Would caulking there even matter as well? just trying to do like everyone else and fix the engineering mistake from Ram.

FWIW, my 2017 4th gen also leaked, just replaced the 3rd BL and no issues.

I caulked the outside mostly. I did press a small amount of caulk into the actual cracks themselves on the inside. But that was unnecessary given the bead I laid down on the exterior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albino3006

Reaction score
I caulked the outside mostly. I did press a small amount of caulk into the actual cracks themselves on the inside. But that was unnecessary given the bead I laid down on the exterior.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Gotta wait for a couple of sunny days here and I'll knock this out on mine.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info. Gotta wait for a couple of sunny days here and I'll knock this out on mine.

If I may offer a couple suggestions...
- The Permatex 81173 is GREAT. The black color disappears in the window and 3rd light surrounds of my charcoal-colored truck. I recommend you buy the 12.9oz tube and load it into a caulk gun. And cut the tip as small as you can so you can pipe it into the tiny crevices above the window.
- The Permatex 81173 is STICKY. Have some disposable towels (like the blue shop towels) on hand to wipe up your mistakes while they are wet. Or get ready to spend some quality time with plastic razor blades scraping it off.
- Plan to use almost the full tube. Just keep piping the silicon into the crevices until it's nearly flush with the bodywork, then use your finger to smooth it out.
- I ran a bead from upper corner to upper corner of the window - just to the point where the window surround takes a turn downward at the sides of the glass. I also made sure the bead filled the very back of the two rain channels in the roof, just in case there was some kind of leak from water running down the channels onto the top of the window frame.

Best of luck. I hope you're as pleased as I am. A big hassle (and potential expense) is now off my shoulders.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I may offer a couple suggestions...
- The Permatex 81173 is GREAT. The black color disappears in the window and 3rd light surrounds of my charcoal-colored truck. I recommend you buy the 12.9oz tube and load it into a caulk gun. And cut the tip as small as you can so you can pipe it into the tiny crevices above the window.
- The Permatex 81173 is STICKY. Have some disposable towels (like the blue shop towels) on hand to wipe up your mistakes while they are wet. Or get ready to spend some quality time with plastic razor blades scraping it off.
- Plan to use almost the full tube. Just keep piping the silicon into the crevices until it's nearly flush with the bodywork, then use your finger to smooth it out.
- I ran a bead from upper corner to upper corner of the window - just to the point where the window surround takes a turn downward at the sides of the glass. I also made sure the bead filled the very back of the two rain channels in the roof, just in case there was some kind of leak from water running down the channels onto the top of the window frame.

Best of luck. I hope you're as pleased as I am. A big hassle (and potential expense) is now off my shoulders.
Thanks for the tip on permatex 81173. I would add a little painter's tape in place. I use the blue painter's tape when applying silicone and such on tubs to get the caulk line. I also use my fingers to work the line.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on permatex 81173. I would add a little painter's tape in place. I use the blue painter's tape when applying silicone and such on tubs to get the caulk line. I also use my fingers to work the line.

Yeah, your blue tape solution is the better one. That should do the trick.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
You need a new sticker on your rear window:
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Barqs

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that they revised the 3rd brake light part number again? I just went to order another one (I like to have a spare and they are cheap), and found 68298380AH in the system now. I had ordered the "AG" unit before with the revised gasket and it's been working well for me, but went ahead and ordered the "AH" to see what's different.

Barqs

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that they revised the 3rd brake light part number again? I just went to order another one (I like to have a spare and they are cheap), and found 68298380AH in the system now. I had ordered the "AG" unit before with the revised gasket and it's been working well for me, but went ahead and ordered the "AH" to see what's different.
Well I ordered the "AH" but still received the "AG". I wonder if they are showing as interchangeable in the system? Oh well.

Max

Reaction score
Has anyone determined what is different with the 68298380AH ? I had the AG version with the addition upper weather strip installed under warranty 1 year ago on my 2019 and I have new stains on both sides. I just stopped at the dealer and was told sorry we don't warranty the warranty repairs that continue to leak. Time to pay a minimum of $150 for a new leak test. If the third brake light ids the problem they might warranty the $25 part. What a great customer service response for truck that cost $60K plus with 26,000 miles that is mostly garage kept. I cannot see any rear window cracks on the inside. Funny thing I removed the brake light to confirm AG version and it doesn't seem to show a leak path.

Has anyone determined what is different with the 68298380AH ? Anyone have a better idea than replacing bulbs with Leds and caulking the third brake light in place?

Barqs

Reaction score
Has anyone determined what is different with the 68298380AH ? I had the AG version with the addition upper weather strip installed under warranty 1 year ago on my 2019 and I have new stains on both sides. I just stopped at the dealer and was told sorry we don't warranty the warranty repairs that continue to leak. Time to pay a minimum of $150 for a new leak test. If the third brake light ids the problem they might warranty the $25 part. What a great customer service response for truck that cost $60K plus with 26,000 miles that is mostly garage kept. I cannot see any rear window cracks on the inside. Funny thing I removed the brake light to confirm AG version and it doesn't seem to show a leak path.

Has anyone determined what is different with the 68298380AH ? Anyone have a better idea than replacing bulbs with Leds and caulking the third brake light in place?
Has anyone seen an "AH"? My AG has been working well, but as soon as I see the first sign of another leak I'll be replacing it with the AG I just received when ordering the AH. Maybe by that time they'll have an "AI" or an "AJ", LOL!

Max

Reaction score
My AG fron Nov 2021 is leaking after 1 yr. RAM dealer refuses to warranty the prior warranty repair that clearly didn't work. Short sighted OEM warranty fixes that don't work loose customers!!!

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Update on my Permatex solution:

My truck just spent one week at -25 C and two weeks in driving rain (40+ mph winds). NO LEAKS.

Seriously, don’t bother with RAM trying to fix it. Get out the caulk gun and do it yourself.

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
My (I believe) brake light just starting peeing on the rear seat. Water was coming from the airbag badge (near the middle) in the headliner, so I'm assuming 3rd brake light vs window frame, as the only water on the frame interior was from the airbag badge leaking well above the frame. Just ordered an AH 3rd brake light. Likely get an AG based on other responses. Will let you know how that looks when it comes in. I may just silicone it up also as @Handmeawrench did, after replacing the bulbs with reputable LED's that won't burn out.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My (I believe) brake light just starting peeing on the rear seat. Water was coming from the airbag badge (near the middle) in the headliner, so I'm assuming 3rd brake light vs window frame, as the only water on the frame interior was from the airbag badge leaking well above the frame. Just ordered an AH 3rd brake light. Likely get an AG based on other responses. Will let you know how that looks when it comes in. I may just silicone it up also as @Handmeawrench did, after replacing the bulbs with reputable LED's that won't burn out.
Hey!

If you're in need of any assistance with this, please reach out. We're available via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
Took my limited into the dealer for an oil change and mentioned it to them and they’re just going to replace the rear window and brake light for 200$ to cover one hour labor.

It’s two weeks out and then they need their window guy in, so for now they filled the cracks in the window with silicone and the 3rd brake light with an extra gasket.

If you’re in northern Virginia and don’t mind a drive to an awesome dealer service center, come to Warrenton, Va and talk to James. He is the man

Users who are viewing this thread