5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light leak VS. cracked frame

NewRam2019

Reaction score
Update: So we had a hard rain yesterday and the window did not leak. So it took replacing the full back window and the 3rd brake light. I the 3rd brake light had to be an updated part as they first to just wanted to silicone it in and I would not let them do that as that is not a factory fix. So I guess ram put out a new design for the 3rd brake light with an extra gasket at the top of the light. So if your 3rd brake light is leaking ask for the updated part.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
I took my 2020 in for a leak on the upper right drivers side rear window. He just left me a message that they are replacing the third brake light (TBL). What is the part number for the NEW design with the better gaskets so I can check to see if they are doing me right?

No hurry. Truck is down hard with an oil leak so...

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my 2020 in for a leak on the upper right drivers side rear window. He just left me a message that they are replacing the third brake light (TBL). What is the part number for the NEW design with the better gaskets so I can check to see if they are doing me right?

No hurry. Truck is down hard with an oil leak so...
68298380AG

Benny1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please know that our team is available via private message and we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support if you address this concern with your dealers. Do not hesitate to reach out!

Mark
RamCares
I just took it to the dealer today and they told me they have a revised part that should fix it. They are installing that now. I will give an update if it fixes the problem after the next hard rain. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I may have to fix it on my own down the road but not why it is still under warranty.
Is the leak fixed?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It can be found a few places, it's a marine type of weather strip with an adhesive on one side

If I had to do it over again I'd use butyl tape instead

Jako

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm new here. What is this Home Depot weatherstrip gasket you speak ot?

Members have had leaks and replaced the seal with the above product.

The CHMSL has been updated with a new "dual" seal. The new light and screws (also updated) cost me approximately $40.00, not sure of the cost today. I did not have any leaks but decided to upgrade the light while changing bulbs to LEDS.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
UPDATE: After dinner tonight I took a new tube of Permatex 81173 black silicon and ran a thick bead all along the top of the rear window. There’s a bit of a channel between the window and the truck body and I filled that gap completely.

Then, just to be sure, I ran a bead around the 3rd brake light. These two steps nearly took the entire 12.9 oz.

I honestly don’t see how water can get in now. But it’s supposed to rain this weekend so I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregHBNA

Reaction score
UPDATE: After dinner tonight I took a new tube of Permatex 81173 black silicon and ran a thick bead all along the top of the rear window. There’s a bit of a channel between the window and the truck body and I filled that gap completely.

Then, just to be sure, I ran a bead around the 3rd brake light. These two steps nearly took the entire 12.9 oz.

I honestly don’t see how water can get in now. But it’s supposed to rain this weekend so I’ll report back.

Now you're gonna have a mess when you have to change a bulb in third brake light.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I'm curious, did Ram ever acknowledge or address this issue in newer Rams?

My 2022 was delivered about a month ago, I live in a VERY wet climate. Is this something I need to worry about or be proactive about?

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
I’m not an expert, but I’ve seen a few photos of newer Rams with a reinforced window frame.

I don’t know if that means “fixed” or just “less prone to fail”.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
I’m not an expert, but I’ve seen a few photos of newer Rams with a reinforced window frame.

I don’t know if that means “fixed” or just “less prone to fail”.

How does it look different from the older ones?

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
How does it look different from the older ones?

A bit hard to describe. If you're inside the truck looking at the glass, the stock 2019 frame is just flat all the way across on the top edge. The replacements (and I assume newer ones) have what looks like a thick rib molded horizontally across the top. Like a brace that was cast into the part.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. If you do some searching online you can find pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread