5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light leak VS. cracked frame

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So why doesn't one just use a tube of black silicone and fill the gap between the rear window and body then smooth it out with your finger.
Very good question. After they installed the new rear window in mine it still leaked. However, there was visible evidence that they missed applying adhesive in a small area just below the third brake lamp assembly. Eventually, to avoid removing the window assembly again, I suggested just that. That worked. Now I did not have a cracked window frame as others have, so just applying adhesive or RTV along the top may not have been a permanent solution. The service tech. and I worked together with the third party glass repair guys to resolve it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044609 miles.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Good Evening. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not but here goes. My brake light leaked for about 6 months before a "water doctor" was called in and stopped the leak. My question is the dealer is willing to replace the headliner but I am afraid of damage being caused during the process. I cleaned it myself and it looks pretty good. Do you think the fabric may sag eventually from the glue getting wet. Like 80's and 90's vehicles. Is it worth the risk?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good Evening. Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not but here goes. My brake light leaked for about 6 months before a "water doctor" was called in and stopped the leak. My question is the dealer is willing to replace the headliner but I am afraid of damage being caused during the process. I cleaned it myself and it looks pretty good. Do you think the fabric may sag eventually from the glue getting wet. Like 80's and 90's vehicles. Is it worth the risk?
I've had three leaks (two 3rd stop light, 1 window leak) and the headliner got pretty wet. The dealer cleaned it each time and although there was repeated staining in the same area, you couldn't tell today.

Removing and installing the headliner is quite a process and its possible that if not done correctly or cautiously it could be damaged. Quite a few interior pieces must be removed, and if done by the service manual, the windshield must be removed. Too many possibilities of things not being put back together correctly.

I've not heard of a 5th gen Ram headliner material losing its bond to the backer. My suggestion would be to repeat the cleaning process on yours until it looks like it should.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045223 miles.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
I'm thinking that way as well. My wife just felt like we should get the headliner while it was being offered. She is leaning towards leaving it alone now. Appreciate the reply

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
I'm thinking that way as well. My wife just felt like we should get the headliner while it was being offered. She is leaning towards leaving it alone now.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm thinking that way as well. My wife just felt like we should get the headliner while it was being offered. She is leaning towards leaving it alone now.
My headliner was replaced due to mine being stained almost a year and a half ago now and everything worked out just fine.

YELOSUB

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 Ram Big Horn and stumbled upon this thread...Is anyone seeing this issue on the 21 models? I’m hoping not

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I'm fighting the stained headliner issue again. Had the cracks in the back glass, brake light leak, and stained headliner fixed under warranty.
They removed the windshield to replace the headliner, replaced the back glass and brake light. Now just out of warranty I've got water stains again and power fold mirrors are screwed up.
Called the dealer and talked to the service guy, told him what was happening, and says they aren't responsible for it leaking again. I said so I basically have a $65,000 truck that leaked and Ram service fixed it, now a year later it does it again and I'm just stuck with it. This guy chuckled and said yeah, that's about where you are.
In the last week, the power folding mirrors have shot craps, headliner is stained up again and now I smell antifreeze in the cab., at 40,000 miles. They've never fixed the rear brakes that sounds like you've hit a trash dumpster when you back up after a rain or when it's cold, A/C is mediocre at best. Bad as I hate to cause I'm sure I'll take a beating I think I have no choice but start truck shopping.

NewRam2019

Reaction score
Has anyone had the dealer tell you that the fix for the 3rd brake light leaking is to silicone it is place?
My story, I had a leak and took it to the dealer under warranty and they replaced the back glass. After that it leaked again and took back to them and they said it was the 3rd brake light. So the fix they did was to silicone the brake light in place. I do not like that fix as it does not let me replace the light down the road. I want a factory fix. The service manager told me he would put it back to factory but it would leak again and if I do not like that I can take it to another dealer. My truck is still under 3/36k warranty.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had the dealer tell you that the fix for the 3rd brake light leaking is to silicone it is place?
My story, I had a leak and took it to the dealer under warranty and they replaced the back glass. After that it leaked again and took back to them and they said it was the 3rd brake light. So the fix they did was to silicone the brake light in place. I do not like that fix as it does not let me replace the light down the road. I want a factory fix. The service manager told me he would put it back to factory but it would leak again and if I do not like that I can take it to another dealer. My truck is still under 3/36k warranty.
I read about a few dealerships doing the silicone in place "fix". It'll definitely stop the leak, but like you said, you're gonna have a hard time removing it to replace any bulbs that might burn out. If it were me, I'd just buy a new 3rd brake light and replace the factory gasket with this...

Several people have done this with great results. Just make sure you completely remove the factory gasket before installing the new seal.

Jako

Reaction score
I read about a few dealerships doing the silicone in place "fix". It'll definitely stop the leak, but like you said, you're gonna have a hard time removing it to replace any bulbs that might burn out. If it were me, I'd just buy a new 3rd brake light and replace the factory gasket with this...

Several people have done this with great results. Just make sure you completely remove the factory gasket before installing the new seal.
Another option is that the new version of the Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL, aka 3rd brake light, cargo light) has 2 gaskets and different screws. A few dollars over $30.00 last time I checked.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another option is that the new version of the Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL, aka 3rd brake light, cargo light) has 2 gaskets and different screws. A few dollars over $30.00 last time I checked.
Didn't know about this new design. My daughter had hers replaced on her 2019 Rebel about 2 months ago. I asked her if she saw the new one and she said the gasket looked just like the original one it replaced.

Jako

Reaction score
Didn't know about this new design. My daughter had hers replaced on her 2019 Rebel about 2 months ago. I asked her if she saw the new one and she said the gasket looked just like the original one it replaced.
see post 82 for the newer gasket, didn't seem to work for a poster, no issues for me or the original.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
My first dealer did that to mine and it worked. They replaced my headliner too and rear window as that is how they got the headliner out. Lol.
When I added my new led lights I changed the weatherstrip gasket to the one from Home Depot that is recommended by everyone.

NewRam2019

Reaction score
I just took it to the dealer today and they told me they have a revised part that should fix it. They are installing that now. I will give an update if it fixes the problem after the next hard rain. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I may have to fix it on my own down the road but not why it is still under warranty.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just took it to the dealer today and they told me they have a revised part that should fix it. They are installing that now. I will give an update if it fixes the problem after the next hard rain. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I may have to fix it on my own down the road but not why it is still under warranty.
Yeah, they've revised the rear window frame design at least once. Some time in 2020 I believe. But I've seen at least one of those crack as well so I don't have confidence they fixed the problem. Maybe they revised it again and that's what you're getting though. It's too bad they keep this kind of info on the DL. It's the opposite of what they should be doing to gain consumer trust.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the third brake light leaking seems to have been an issue all the way back to like 2010. my buddy has a ram, want to say maybe 2010-2012 give or take and even his third brake light has silicone all around the outside. seems to have been an issue back then.

Scram1500

Reaction score
the third brake light leaking seems to have been an issue all the way back to like 2010. my buddy has a ram, want to say maybe 2010-2012 give or take and even his third brake light has silicone all around the outside. seems to have been an issue back then.
Over ten years with the same problem, sounds like insanity.... They insist on using that stupid foam gasket instead of butyl tape or a closed cell marine gasket. If they didn't cheap out on 4 square inches of sheet metal it could have been a stamped pocket with a small hole for the wiring and zero leaks would happen

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Over ten years with the same problem, sounds like insanity.... They insist on using that stupid foam gasket instead of butyl tape or a closed cell marine gasket. If they didn't cheap out on 4 square inches of sheet metal it could have been a stamped pocket with a small hole for the wiring and zero leaks would happen
that gasket is actually very common. my 08 Mercedes ML350 uses the same gasket for the rear taillamps. They eventually leak but not that quickly. ive had the car for 7 yrs now with no issues. Unless they are using a cheaper quality of the same gasket.

yellowboy

Reaction score
see my thread " My truck going in for the 4th time....................., these leaks become a life altering issue for some like me. Phone calls, wasted time at dealer ,removing valuables and switching essentials from truck to loaner, waiting for rental car company to pick me, and over and over again. This POS truck is not worth the money I saved on it when they were on sale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread