5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gal tank

850rider

Reaction score
I notice there’s an option for a 33 gal tank. What is the standard tank size? 26 gal?

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Yes, 26 gallons and I think there's even a 20 gallon option.

And to answer you're next question...

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you are ordering, choose the option. Some will decry that the fuel weighs so much their trucks can't handle pulling the extra gallons up a hill. Shhhh.... don't let them in on the secret. They don't have to fill it up all the way. Yea, I know, that is a tough one to figure out isn't it? 😅

The truck is a gas pig. I fill up often enough with the big tank, I would hate the little one.

Clv22p

Reaction score
The 23 Gallon is standard with eTorque. For the 2023 year model can you even get a 26 gallon since eTorque is the only hemi option?

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
If you are ordering, choose the option. Some will decry that the fuel weighs so much their trucks can't handle pulling the extra gallons up a hill. Shhhh.... don't let them in on the secret. They don't have to fill it up all the way. Yea, I know, that is a tough one to figure out isn't it? 😅

The truck is a gas pig. I fill up often enough with the big tank, I would hate the little one.
LOL I always fill 33 gal up and have never had a problem pulling any hill.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
33 gallon always.
0 reasons why not to get it and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Besides the weight of the tank (which is made of plastic not metal), gas is only roughly 6lbs a gallon, so going from a 23 to a 33 gallon tank completely filled up is 60lbs. My backpack weighs 25lbs with no tools in it, and 45lbs when loaded with tools. If a truck struggles to drive with an extra backpack or 2 then you got bigger problems, and should stop buying 4 cylinder trucks.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the 26 gallon, I rather have the extra 7 gallons. But sometimes when you buy on the lot, you don't have a choice, probably the only option my truck doesn't have that I regret. But at 25% off MSRP, I'm not going to complain.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I just picked up my new to me 2021 1500 Big Horn with the 26 gallon fuel tank. We don't like to do more than 300 a day when pulling the travel trailer. After a couple trips, I'll see how I feel about the 26 gallon tank.

Jray22

Reaction score
Coming from a Sierra 3.0 diesel, I would love the 33 Gallon tank. It’s one aftermarket mod that will most diffently happen after the warranty expires.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited ED with the 33 gal tank. At least that's what the sticker says. Yesterday I was at 1/8th tank and filled up. It only took 22 gallons. Is there a way to crawl under the truck and verify that I have a 33 gal tank vs 26?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I have the 33 gallon and cannot imagine not having it. If you have the option to order with, I recommend doing so.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a 33 gal tank you can still operate it like it's a 26 gallon tank. But if you only have a 26 gallon tank.......

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited ED with the 33 gal tank. At least that's what the sticker says. Yesterday I was at 1/8th tank and filled up. It only took 22 gallons. Is there a way to crawl under the truck and verify that I have a 33 gal tank vs 26?
You can check your build sheet to be sure. Window stickers can be wrong, but the build sheet is as right as any documentation can be about what your truck came with. Click on the link below. Enter your VIN and click on Search to get your build sheet.

I also seem to remember reading that the tanks have a sticker which states the size, but I haven't verified this myself. Raise your air suspension to OR2 and crawl underneath and take a look for yourself.

GMetal

Reaction score
If you have a 33 gal tank you can still operate it like it's a 26 gallon tank. But if you only have a 26 gallon tank.......
You can carry 2, 5 gallon gas containers?

GerryS

Reaction score
I have the 33 gallon and cannot imagine not having it. If you have the option to order with, I recommend doing so.
I guess I'm going to be the contrarian. In my case, I run with a light load when taking trips with our Ram. I get over 400 miles to the 23 gal tank, and by that time I need to take a break. The other irritating thing is that with high gas prices, filling that 33 gal tank takes another swipe of the credit card. I really don't know why most gas stations have that $100 limit for credit card purchases. I hope that will change soon.
That being said, those that run loaded heavy and/or with a travel trailer and regularly drive long distances nonstop, I can definitely see opting for the 33 gal. tank. But for me it seemed like an expensive option for not enough return.

Cheers!
Gerry

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to be the contrarian. In my case, I run with a light load when taking trips with our Ram. I get over 400 miles to the 23 gal tank, and by that time I need to take a break. The other irritating thing is that with high gas prices, filling that 33 gal tank takes another swipe of the credit card. I really don't know why most gas stations have that $100 limit for credit card purchases. I hope that will change soon.
That being said, those that run loaded heavy and/or with a travel trailer and regularly drive long distances nonstop, I can definitely see opting for the 33 gal. tank. But for me it seemed like an expensive option for not enough return.

Cheers!
Gerry
Spends $50,000+ for a truck.
Doesn't want to spend $445 on extended range.

When it comes down to it as long as YOU are happy with YOUR truck thats all that matters.

Also the $100 limit is per station. None of the ones around me have the limit EXCEPT for BJs (where I always fill up)

TSL

Reaction score
Related to tank size discussion is a question on how much range is left when the truck says "empty" ?
I have the EcoDiesel motor in a Rebel with 33gal tank and I've run it down to single-digits of range left, like 5 or 7 or something before I filled up.
However, I only got 30 gals back into it before the pump shut off. Do I really have 3 gallons of reserve after the truck says I'm empty ? That would be around 22x3 = 66 miles of mixed driving range or 26 x3 = 78 miles of highway range left for me typically.
I guess I need to put a 5 gallon can in the bed of the truck and drive till I run out to prove how much is really left.

Users who are viewing this thread