5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gal tank

TSL

Reaction score
I like to guestimate how much fuel I will be putting in my 33-gal tank. I usually come up 3 gals was in tank beyond what my range said.

Example: I've driven 539 miles @ 20.51 mpg I've burned 26.28 gals and my range is at 80. Range of 80 divided by 20.51=3.90. Burned 26.28 gal adding my range 3.90 gal=30.18, so 2.82 was left in 33-gal tank, about a 3-gal "reserve".

I've calculated this several times and always come close to the 3-gal "reserve". With this said I usually fill up when I between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.
Prior to doing my rather unfortunate running out of diesel experiment, I usually filled up no later than when the 50mile range light came on. I would never get more than 29 gallons or so into the tank. So that's 4 gallons left. Lately the trips I've been doing have me averaging around 22mpg. 22 mpg * 4 gal = 88 miles. Well, I got about 86 miles after the light came on until...."the lights went out" ! ( or more to the point a whole bunch more warning lights came on ! ). So, that's indicates the range meter is making sense. Except when it gets critically low in the tank it seems to me it's not accurate. But nobody should be down in that range so it's not a big deal.

Reactions: c3k

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that were remotely true, the 33 gallon tank wouldn't be an optional add on.

Quite the opposite. They've always held the better card back like this so they can make even more profit off it. 3.92 gear and 3.21 gear cost identical amounts to install on the line, but if you want that 3.92 you have to open the wallet. It's like this for everything that's desirable. They know that there is zero reason to NOT want the 33 gallon tank, and that is precisely why they can get away with charging more for it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In high school, I would use our "extra" car, a gas guzzling '73 Buick Regal. Being a poor high school student, I would run it near empty before being able to scrape together enough gas money to fill it. I was frequently scolded about it.

One day, I ran out of gas, about 5 miles from home. A kind lady let me into her house to call home. (This was in early '80s, well before cell phones.)
I called home, and my Dad answered.

Me: "Dad. I'm about 5 miles from home. I ran out of gas".
Dad: "Have a nice walk." Click. Dial tone.

I walked 5 miles home. I then had to get on my 10-speed bike. (The kind with curly handlebars.) I grabbed a 2 gallon gas can, and peddled 8 miles to the gas station. Then I peddled, with the sloshing gas can clutched to the handlebar making life very difficult, 4 miles or so, to get to the car. Put 2 gallons in, drove back to the gas station, filled it.

I have never run out of gas since.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quite the opposite. They've always held the better card back like this so they can make even more profit off it. 3.92 gear and 3.21 gear cost identical amounts to install on the line, but if you want that 3.92 you have to open the wallet. It's like this for everything that's desirable. They know that there is zero reason to NOT want the 33 gallon tank, and that is precisely why they can get away with charging more for it.
:LOL:

$95 is why they made 3.92s an option. :rolleyes:

I had 71 reasons to skip the bigger tank.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Still find it amazing that it has not been discovered while fueling up, if you have so much crap in the camper that you can't pull a full tank of gas, the muscles on the back of your forearm contract and your fingers will extend. When this happens, the fuel flow to the tank shuts off. Heck you can run around doing 5 gallons at a time from station to station! Think of all the extra beer you could take if you used that technique!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure. Could take the back seats out, remove the spare tire, and make my wife and dogs ride in the trailer, too.

I wish they would just invent something that holds fuel. I could carry it around with me when I might need it and use it for my generator. Maybe we'd call it a fuel can. Who's in?

I can fit 5 gallons in my 23 gallon tank, too.

doing-math-wrong-answer.gif

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Sure. Could take the back seats out, remove the spare tire, and make my wife and dogs ride in the trailer, too.

I wish they would just invent something that holds fuel. I could carry it around with me when I might need it and use it for my generator. Maybe we'd call it a fuel can. Who's in?

Hey! Now you're coming up with some good ideas! 😁

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Could you explain more about this crazy "fuel can" theory, and how we sign up for it?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm just an engineer. You'll have to talk to prod and marketing. :LOL:
You need to let us know if you have the inside scoop on the "engineer" is that invented the spout that would save the planet from fuel spills. I'd like to show him another use for that safety spout. It's sure not a safe use!

I would have to say I have spilled way more gas and kerosene since these have come out than in all the preceding years.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You need to let us know if you have the inside scoop on the "engineer" is that invented the spout that would save the planet from fuel spills. I'd like to show him another use for that safety spout. It's sure not a safe use!

I would have to say I have spilled way more gas and kerosene since these have come out than in all the preceding years.
I like it. I always end up with like 18 gallons in the tank when it clicks.

All the payloads are mine!

Users who are viewing this thread