5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gal tank

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How do the pump jockeys in jersey deal with the fuel cutting off multiple times that I hear complaints of?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
How do the pump jockeys in jersey deal with the fuel cutting off multiple times that I hear complaints of?

Nightmare. Worst is when it clicks off at like 1/2 full and they immediately jam the nozzle back into the pump thinking it's full and then I have to give them the card again.

Most people in NJ have no problem at all pumping their own gas. A lot of times I end up doing it anyway when the stations are busy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nightmare. Worst is when it clicks off at like 1/2 full and they immediately jam the nozzle back into the pump thinking it's full and then I have to give them the card again.

Most people in NJ have no problem at all pumping their own gas. A lot of times I end up doing it anyway when the stations are busy.
I did that once when driving through Oregon. The attendant seemed to be ignoring me and was helping people who got there after I did. So I got out and started pumping my own gas. He ran over and threatened me. Said the fine for pumping your own gas in Oregon is $700. I get it, he was "just doing his job", but I wasn't going to sit and wait forever. I try to plan any trips through that state to fuel up in WA, CA, or ID. A 33 gallon tank helps with that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I avoided fueling up in Oregon just for that reason .. full tank right before I got out of California and right as soon as i reached Washington. I did forget when I left to go back and had ro stop in some small town at around 3am and wasn’t a attendant in sight so i pumped my own oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wire4money

Reaction score
I did that once when driving through Oregon. The attendant seemed to be ignoring me and was helping people who got there after I did. So I got out and started pumping my own gas. He ran over and threatened me. Said the fine for pumping your own gas in Oregon is $700. I get it, he was "just doing his job", but I wasn't going to sit and wait forever. I try to plan any trips through that state to fuel up in WA, CA, or ID. A 33 gallon tank helps with that.
Fun fact, it is perfectly legal to pump your own diesel in Oregon. When I’d fill my Sprinter, I’d get the dirtiest looks from the other drivers. Also, some smaller towns are allowed self serve because they can’t staff the station at all hours.

Wire4money

Reaction score
I avoided fueling up in Oregon just for that reason .. full tank right before I got out of California and right as soon as i reached Washington. I did forget when I left to go back and had ro stop in some small town at around 3am and wasn’t a attendant in sight so i pumped my own oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Small towns are allowed self serve.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
COSTCO Gas
Staten Island Costco has run out of regular and I bought 93 at the 87 price, It also did not have 87 on the website the other day. I believe the Bayonne NJ Costco has a $175 limit, emphasis on believe.
Staten Island has a great location and other than very early or very late has lines to gas up. Self serve which makes things worse for advancing. Bayonne is a large station and NO self service by NJ law but you can if you want to. Barnegat NJ Costco stops me from pumping gas.
$100 limit (n).
(y) for the Bayonne Costco workers, great people and hustlers. Don't go planning to gas up before the store opens and than go shopping, a lot of people do that.
Bayonne finally put a stop to non members gassing up.
I'm always in Bayonne Costco (y) They open their pumps at 6am. I'm so glad when they started to require membership to get gas.

killerformula

Reaction score
Got to love NJ... leads the way ending the $100 limit, still won't let people pump it themselves.
Yep, and sometimes you’re sitting there for 10 extra minutes because you’ve got to wait for the guy to start filling 4 other cars and then make the rounds to take the nozzles out. On top of that, because none of the union guys want to work at night, the majority of gas stations are closed after 10pm. Such a dumb system.

TSL

Reaction score
It's a digital calibration.
Sounds like yours is off. You can check it with Alfaobd.
I have put in 31.something gallons before in mine.

General when a fuel gauge turns on you have 1.5-3 gallons of gas left to get to a station, and it would stop reading how many miles and just say low range or somehting.
I don't recall what the Ram did when I was almost empty, I know my light came on.
I'd like to update my own question and report back that I found out - the hard way - how long I can go after the light comes on. Yeah, I ran it out of fuel < sigh > ( knucklehead etc ! )
In my defense, the truck claimed it still had 16 miles of range left when it shuddered, sputtered, said "service electronic throttle body", and then died.
I should have been suspicious though because I'd gone about 12 miles with it saying 16 miles left and the range hadn't moved one bit. ( another data point that my calibration is off perhaps? )
While I didn't have the foresight to zero a trip meter when the light came on for this unplanned, erm, "experiment" I just did, I do recall more or less where I was when it came on and I do know what I've done with it since, so I just retraced my steps on Google maps and it looks like I did 86 miles after the light came on saying I had 50 miles left.
I finished up calling my wife to bail me out and run into town for 5 gallons of diesel but before she got back a kind neighboring farmer gave me about 5 gallons from a can, for which I was thankful because I was stopped in a pretty bad spot, I managed to get half way off the road before it died completely but once it died it was dead. At first he;'d offered to tow me to a safer place, but I couldn't figure out any way to put the truck in neutral without the motor running.
Anyway, when I got to the fuel station, I put 29.7 gallons in. I'm not sure how full the farmer's can was, but it was 4 or 5 gallons anyway, it was pretty full. So now I'm convinced I have a 33 gallon tank and I know how long it will run after the light comes on, and I don't plan to repeat the experiment to get additional data :)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I could have ordered the 50 Gal tank I would have. But that option is only for the HD trucks
Because it requires the 8' Bed too. The HD trucks are a 4.5 Gen.

I have a couple of final tasks on an AUX tank to go in my Bed Before I can get it to the Welder.
This will add an additional 72 Gallons to the 33 Gallon Tank on my EcoDiesel. So 105 Gallons total.

Malodave

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd like to update my own question and report back that I found out - the hard way - how long I can go after the light comes on. Yeah, I ran it out of fuel < sigh > ( knucklehead etc ! )
In my defense, the truck claimed it still had 16 miles of range left when it shuddered, sputtered, said "service electronic throttle body", and then died.
I should have been suspicious though because I'd gone about 12 miles with it saying 16 miles left and the range hadn't moved one bit. ( another data point that my calibration is off perhaps? )
While I didn't have the foresight to zero a trip meter when the light came on for this unplanned, erm, "experiment" I just did, I do recall more or less where I was when it came on and I do know what I've done with it since, so I just retraced my steps on Google maps and it looks like I did 86 miles after the light came on saying I had 50 miles left.
I finished up calling my wife to bail me out and run into town for 5 gallons of diesel but before she got back a kind neighboring farmer gave me about 5 gallons from a can, for which I was thankful because I was stopped in a pretty bad spot, I managed to get half way off the road before it died completely but once it died it was dead. At first he;'d offered to tow me to a safer place, but I couldn't figure out any way to put the truck in neutral without the motor running.
Anyway, when I got to the fuel station, I put 29.7 gallons in. I'm not sure how full the farmer's can was, but it was 4 or 5 gallons anyway, it was pretty full. So now I'm convinced I have a 33 gallon tank and I know how long it will run after the light comes on, and I don't plan to repeat the experiment to get additional data :)
This is for next time. How to put your truck in neutral ...

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I've observed that regardless the make or model of vehicle, there is typically about 80 miles left in the tank once the needle enters the red. Not sure if this is mandated or written down somewhere in a designers handbook but it's held true for me over the years.

TSL

Reaction score
This is for next time. How to put your truck in neutral ...

Thanks ! My '22 doesn't look exactly like the video ( doesn't appear to have the extra tab to be slid to the right to allow the strap to be pulled ), but other than that, it's there. AND it's described on P.392 of my manual ! Yesterday on the road side I was reading P.394, 'Towing a disabled vehicle' and failed to see the final sentence on that page 'If the keyfob is unavailable or the vehicle's battery is discharged, find instructions on shifting the transmission out of Park in order to move the vehicle on P.392' I just needed to turn back one page and there it was !
Now I need to keep a small screw driver or similar pry object in the truck in order to open the panel, although I think the valet key would do it

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
23 gallon tank in mine. I tow and haul more than any of these wannabe truck owners like @Mountain Whiskey.

After towing our camper all over the country for the past year, I'll tell you that 33 gallons isn't needed. If you want it, go for it, but if I ordered another 1500, it'd have the 23 gallon tank again.

Anyone who says otherwise should be in a Prius.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
23 gallon tank in mine. I tow and haul more than any of these wannabe truck owners like @Mountain Whiskey.

After towing our camper all over the country for the past year, I'll tell you that 33 gallons isn't needed. If you want it, go for it, but if I ordered another 1500, it'd have the 23 gallon tank again.

Anyone who says otherwise should be in a Prius.
You can delete the picture in your signature you ripped from the RV site. I saw you heading to the Walmart parking lot the other day and snapped a pic of the camper. 🤣😅😂
VIP_single_trailer_restroom_rental_toilet.jpg

For the rest of you that drive in real world conditions, perhaps commuting or something, a 33 gallon is just convenient. If your porta potty is so full you need the extra payload, just get half a tank and be happy!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can delete the picture in your signature you ripped from the RV site. I saw you heading to the Walmart parking lot the other day and snapped a pic of the camper. 🤣😅😂
View attachment 145399

For the rest of you that drive in real world conditions, perhaps commuting or something, a 33 gallon is just convenient. If your porta potty is so full you need the extra payload, just get half a tank and be happy!
Well, we did stay at a ******* Barrel Saturday.

"Commuting." Dudes using their trucks out here like minivans. :LOL:

73e8ud.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread