5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 rear end availability

InfinitySurf

Reaction score
Is your truck 4x4? It isn't listed in your signature...thanks for filling it out though.

Interesting, I realized the other night that could not be right, when I saw others posting their payload and wondered why mine was at the very top end for that model and when looking at 4x4 with short bed, it did not go that high on towing. Before buying the truck, I asked dealer to send me confirmation of exactly what the payload and towing ratings were for this truck...the 1840 and 11,340 was what they sent me in the document, I looked at it again to confirm. Obviously they were wrong as I just looked at the door sticker and it says 1516 payload. How do I confirm the towing number for this specific truck?
Thanks for heads up as I am a bit OCD about stuff like this. Even tho I dont ever push the max, I want to know what it is.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, I realized the other night that could not be right, when I saw others posting their payload and wondered why mine was at the very top end for that model and when looking at 4x4 with short bed, it did not go that high on towing. Before buying the truck, I asked dealer to send me confirmation of exactly what the payload and towing ratings were for this truck...the 1840 and 11,340 was what they sent me in the document, I looked at it again to confirm. Obviously they were wrong as I just looked at the door sticker and it says 1516 payload. How do I confirm the towing number for this specific truck?
Thanks for heads up as I am a bit OCD about stuff like this. Even tho I dont ever push the max, I want to know what it is.
Towing number gets a little crazy to figure.

Basically GVWR is 7100 GCWR is 17000. So you have to weigh stuff or use the SAE J2807.

Read this thread for more explanation

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...et-my-needs-or-am-i-waiting-for-the-2500.437/

As you see, 150 lbs each for 2 passengers...I weigh 290 myself.

So 7100 minus your payload of 1516 gives you an estimated weight of 5584.
So 5584 from 17000 is 11416. So with nothing else in your truck the max tow is 11416...but there has to be a driver and other things.

So you can continue the math with your real numbers or use J2807 and get close, which would be 370 lbs and tongue weight...so 11416 minus 370 is 11046 so a 10 percent tongue would be 1105, but that will take from your trailer. So it looks like about 10000 lb trailer give and take your actual payload and actual tongue weight.

Hope that didn't confuse you and atleast gives you a real close idea.

jmr

Reaction score
I got one with 3.92 and Tow Package, now I am trying to find a solution to revert back to the power folding mirrors that are standard on Level 2 equipment group and deleted by adding the Tow Package.

On my Bighorn I have the same scenario as you and swapped the Tow mirrors for the standard Bighorn mirrors.
Trouble is the dealer can't enable the sales codes for heated mirrors, auto dimming drivers mirror
or power folding mirror. It's a pain that FCA won't allow these codes to be added afterwards.

runamuck

Reaction score
Towing number gets a little crazy to figure.

Basically GVWR is 7100 GCWR is 17000. So you have to weigh stuff or use the SAE J2807.

Read this thread for more explanation

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...et-my-needs-or-am-i-waiting-for-the-2500.437/

As you see, 150 lbs each for 2 passengers...I weigh 290 myself.

So 7100 minus your payload of 1516 gives you an estimated weight of 5584.
So 5584 from 17000 is 11416. So with nothing else in your truck the max tow is 11416...but there has to be a driver and other things.

So you can continue the math with your real numbers or use J2807 and get close, which would be 370 lbs and tongue weight...so 11416 minus 370 is 11046 so a 10 percent tongue would be 1105, but that will take from your trailer. So it looks like about 10000 lb trailer give and take your actual payload and actual tongue weight.

Hope that didn't confuse you and atleast gives you a real close idea.

I have a laramie 4x4 ccsb ORP 5.7 hemi. took mine to CAT scale and weighed in at 5960# with me (225#) and half a tank of gas and with a Bakflip folding cover. only leaves 1140# for 500# trailer tongue and wife (120#) and whatever gear we pack. not what I was expecting after reading all the glowing ads about increased capacity. the truck pulls my 28' trailer great but even with very little in the bed I am getting close to the max. I am hoping there is a nice amount of safety factor built into the factory numbers.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
not what I was expecting after reading all the glowing ads about increased capacity.
The increased capacity is the new Dana Super 60 axle. Of course, it is in a quad cab 2 wheel drive bighorn.

One of the reasons we have spent so much time explaining this in the payload thread.

Cause that max tow package...it isn't the truck with max payload either.

They can not be had with the same truck, and you can't be at max tow and max payload...one has to give for the other.

Thanks for posting your weight. There is some safety built in I am sure...but there are laws that say you can not go past these numbers...no matter what you add to the truck to "increase capacity"

The 5.7l Hemi is a good towing engine. It was the heavy duty Gas motor that replaced the V10 Magnum and it is still used in the 2500 series...but it may be going away there.

The motor and bigger brakes make the 1500 very capable, but it is still only a 1500 or "half ton" so you still have some respectable payload left. (As you still have more than a 1/2 ton) Just got to pack the truck and trailer proper and all will work out for sure.

Why I like the Heavy Duty. You don't have to think much about were you put stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread