5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 rear end availability

azylstra3

Reaction score
Hi, I’m considering a Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi crew cab 4x4 Laramie to use as a daily driver and tow vehicle for a 7,500 lb travel trailer. I definitely want the 3.92 rear end option and any other towing options available. When visiting a local high volume dealer they didn’t have any 1500’s with the 3.92 rear end. I also didn’t notice any with a trailer brake control or towing mirrors. Are these options typically hard to find on the lot? Do most buyers have to order this configuration? Thanks in advance.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I’m considering a Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi crew cab 4x4 Laramie to use as a daily driver and tow vehicle for a 7,500 lb travel trailer. I definitely want the 3.92 rear end option and any other towing options available. When visiting a local high volume dealer they didn’t have any 1500’s with the 3.92 rear end. I also didn’t notice any with a trailer brake control or towing mirrors. Are these options typically hard to find on the lot? Do most buyers have to order this configuration? Thanks in advance.

When looking for mine, I didn't have much of a problem finding 3.92s..the trailer brake controller a little harder.

Make sure you understand the plus / minuses of the trailer package..many threads on here about it and what you gain / lose if you select that.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A quick look at our local dealers website and they have several with the Trailer Towing package. As long as that is what you want, it seems they are available. I ordered mine with the controller but not the trailer towing package to ensure I got what I wanted. If you get one with the Off Road Group, they come with the 3.92 gears.

It really depends on where you live as to what options the dealers tend to order. Around here, 4x4's are over 90% of sales. Most of the trucks with the 3.92 are the ORG, which seems to be attacking lots of buyers. Most do not have the Trailer Brake controller, which can be added by the dealer, so consider negotiating the addition.

azylstra3

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was able to find the 3.92 in all of the rebel models at my local dealer. Some are listed as 8,190 lbs towing and others at 11,120 lbs towing with no notable differences. I don’t need any off road features but if that’s how to get the 3.92 ratio I can live with it. It almost makes a 2500 seem better for my needs.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was able to find the 3.92 in all of the rebel models at my local dealer. Some are listed as 8,190 lbs towing and others at 11,120 lbs towing with no notable differences. I don’t need any off road features but if that’s how to get the 3.92 ratio I can live with it. It almost makes a 2500 seem better for my needs.

Where abouts are you located? The 8190 towing sounds like the 3.21 rear end (or maybe a V6 which is almost a unicorn). You're looking for a Laramie, correct?

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score

Honestly, if your needs include more than 800lbs of people and cargo when you pull that trailer, a 2500 may actually be what you should be looking at. Payload will probably be in the neighborhood of 1500 +/-100lbs with a 4x4 Lararamie crew cab.

RAM805

Reaction score
I got one with 3.92 and Tow Package, now I am trying to find a solution to revert back to the power folding mirrors that are standard on Level 2 equipment group and deleted by adding the Tow Package.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You were able to find it on the Rebel, because it is the only one it comes with.

The 3.21 is more populated on lots because A. It is standard and B. People are buying trucks more for mileage than work...and the 3.21 is percieved as the mileage gear.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like @MrHankbot has already said. There is a reason they make 2500s and that is payload while towing.

I have a few threads on here expressing my dilemma of wanting a 1500, needing a 2500, wishing for a Powerwagon, and that doesn't include the thoughts of 2018left over, 2019 refresh, or wait for the new HD.

Last edited:

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...The 3.21 is more populated on lots because A. It is standard and B. People are buying trucks more for mileage than work...and the 3.21 is percieved as the mileage gear.
I've included links to some of the better towing threads below. Members are towing 7000# trailers with the 3.21's with no issues (but not in the mountains). Both my new Laramie and it's predecessor, a 2012 Tradesman with towing package had the 3.21s. With the eight speed transmissions, the truck is always in the "right gear." I had no issues hauling a 6000# trailer from California to Missouri with the 2012, and it had the 4.7 engine.

If towing is your ultimate goal, or if a trailer "upgrade" is on the horizon, the 2500 is the way to go.

If you tow part time, and your current trailer suits your needs, the amenities of the new Ram make it the right choice. The 3.92 and tow package sounds right for you. It means you don't get the folding mirrors, but everything else you need, plus an adequate towing capacity. Let us know what you decide.

6500# report
7200 # report (member secondfloor)
5500# report

Also, do you need (or want) the crew cab over the quad cab? The QC weight reduction adds significantly to the load capacity of the truck. I've seen some Limiteds with payloads in the 1050# range. Mine is over 1750# and is very well equipped, IMO. Packages such as the Off Road Group and options such as the sunroofs also add a significant amount of weight, so give consideration to those matters related to payload.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What does the 3.92 mean over the 3.21?

Either will tow and drive just fine.

The big difference between the two is....GCWR

3.21 is 13900
3.92 is 17000.

So 3100 lbs is the difference

Ram 1500 Ranch

Reaction score
I got one with 3.92 and Tow Package, now I am trying to find a solution to revert back to the power folding mirrors that are standard on Level 2 equipment group and deleted by adding the Tow Package.
Have you already taken delivery of your Big Horn? I had a client who purchased a Linited with the trailer tow mirrors and wanted the power folding mirrors. We ended up having to switch out the mirrors.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Payload will probably be in the neighborhood of 1500 +/-100lbs with a 4x4 Lararamie crew cab.
Yep, in fact many non-Rambox Laramie Crew Cabs are around 1400ish, and with Rambox 1200s or lower. Just depends how option crazy you go with the heavy ones... Rambox, 33 gal tank, pano sunroof all knock payload down a chunk... especially Rambox (see sig block).

RAM999

Reaction score
You have to look, but they are out there. I also wanted the 3.92 for increased towing and with the other options I wanted, it significantly narrows the pool of what's available. I had to get mine from a dealer 300 miles away. Finally I found one with Black appearance package, 33 Gal Tank, Trailer Brake controller, Pano Roof, 12" Uconnct, Bed Utility Group. If you haven't already, try the RAM Inventory search feature on their web site. You can search within 150 miles of a zip code after selecting your trim/options you want. I ended up searching daily for my city and cites around me until I found ones like I wanted, then reached to those dealers to start a deal.

InfinitySurf

Reaction score
I found a Laramie CC with all the nice options I wanted, including folding power mirrors and the 3.92 gears and it did not have the stuff I didn't care about, like sunroof and few other things. Ended up with 1840 payload and 11,340 towing. Was also lucky to find the perfect interior, it was the only Laramie I found with options I wanted actually that did not have the Black leather interior (too hot in summer where I live). Only things I really wanted and it did not have were easy aftermarket things that I have already installed. So far, had zero issues and super happy with how it handles as well as available power when towing my 8000lb boat. I do want to add something to suspension to help the rear end sag like the Timbrens, just dont want to lose my very comfortable ride since I don't need to tow a whole lot and when I do, I dont have far to go since I live within a 1000ft of the lake I frequent the most.
I will say that even tho this dealer is high volume and had close to 100 of the 2019 trucks (I bought on 09/27), only 2 of the Laramie trucks had the 3.92 (1 had the etorque which I am still skeptical about since its 1st year) without stepping up to the Limited and that was more than I wanted to spend. So I felt lucky to be at right place at right time. Feel like I got an excellent deal too. 1st time Ram buyer converted from long time GM owner, they knocked it out of the park with this truck!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ended up with 1840 payload and 11,340 towing.
is this from your payload sticker, or one of the online configurators like build and price or the Ram site tow configurator.

I ask because A. That is a very high payload, and B. 1840 is what the configurator gives usually

Will be curious to know

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just order one

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
is this from your payload sticker, or one of the online configurators like build and price or the Ram site tow configurator.

I ask because A. That is a very high payload, and B. 1840 is what the configurator gives usually

Will be curious to know

Can't believe that a 4x4 crew cab would have a payload of 1,840 - would like to see the door sticker on that.

flffpm

Reaction score
If you go on Ram website, and search dealer inventory, you can set parameters. For example, living in Central FL, there are 16 Ram dealers within a 50 mile radius from me. When I was looking for a manual trans Challenger, I went on Dodge website, and searched for that parameter, found 8 manuals in a 50 mile radius most at two dealers. Same with the truck I just bought, dealer nearest me has a boatload of Bighorns, all with chrome and 3.21 rears. The dealer I bought the car from obviously has a buyer who knows how to spec vehicles, had exactly what I wanted including the Sport Appearance package and 3.92 rear in just about every color offered.

In other words, spec out the vehicle you want, then search dealer inventory. You can change the parameters as you search, helped me immensely.

EDIT: Or as other have said, order one the way YOU want it. It never bothers me to buy off the lot with a check on a weeekend because my go to "guy" works limited hours. So long as my parameters are met.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread