5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92

Ksilva211

Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
I have, back to back. Can't really tell a difference. Getting out of my F150 and into the Ram, I could.
you could tell a difference between your f150 and the ram? Tell us more...lol

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
you could tell a difference between your f150 and the ram? Tell us more...lol
F150 has the 2.7l EcoBoost and is a rocket. VERY fast off the line. The 2.7 is quicker 0-60 than the 3.5 ecoboost.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
F150 has the 2.7l EcoBoost and is a rocket. VERY fast off the line. The 2.7 is quicker 0-60 than the 3.5 ecoboost.
Yeah, those 2.7's are a great little motor if you arent doing a ton of towing. They punch way above their weight for the average use conditions.

The 5.7 with 3.92 and the 8speed isn't nearly as "surgey" for lack of better term than my 2011 withthe 5 speed, it's just a constant strong pull all the way to the point of getting a ticket.

The shifts are ridiculously seamless in this truck, also havent noticed any gear searching.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
Yeah, those 2.7's are a great little motor if you arent doing a ton of towing. They punch way above their weight for the average use conditions.

The 5.7 with 3.92 and the 8speed isn't nearly as "surgey" for lack of better term than my 2011 withthe 5 speed, it's just a constant strong pull all the way to the point of getting a ticket.

The shifts are ridiculously seamless in this truck, also havent noticed any gear searching.
I love the motor. Tows my 7500lbs boat no problem - although they have had plenty of issues with the plastic oil pan and a bad batch of motors/heads (mine was built in that time frame) I have been unaffected. Surgey is a good word to describe these EcoBoosts...they take off and once you get into boost your pushed into your seat. However, when that happens, you can watch the MPG lie-o-meter drop!

DSOOBY

Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
I love the motor. Tows my 7500lbs boat no problem - although they have had plenty of issues with the plastic oil pan and a bad batch of motors/heads (mine was built in that time frame) I have been unaffected. Surgey is a good word to describe these EcoBoosts...they take off and once you get into boost your pushed into your seat. However, when that happens, you can watch the MPG lie-o-meter drop!
Haha yeah, most folks dont realize most turbos these days are less for the power and efficiency, and more of an emissions hack. Marketing spins will tell you otherwise. I've tried to explain this to a budy of mine with the 3.5 10000 times but he still doesn't get it. You don't get the power without completely tanking the fuel economy,. We get the same mileage...

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
Haha yeah, most folks dont realize most turbos these days are less for the power and efficiency, and more of an emissions hack. Marketing spins will tell you otherwise. I've tried to explain this to a budy of mine with the 3.5 10000 times but he still doesn't get it. You don't get the power without completely tanking the fuel economy,. We get the same mileage...
Prime example: Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. The ecodiesel turbo is for efficiency/emissions too. This truck is slow as mud but great MPG

Ksilva211

Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
so do you think the 2.7 is a lot faster than a ram with hemi and 3.92

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
so do you think the 2.7 is a lot faster than a ram with hemi and 3.92
Not sure I'd say a lot faster, but definitely faster. Can't say I've ever had a Ram pull away from me after leaving a stoplight.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
I'm going to have to agree with @BobbiBigWheels go with the 3.92s especially if you ever plan on adding bigger tires or a lift etc.
Last I checked - yesterday - when building a Big Horn with the V6/eTorque; you CAN choose any of the 3 options - 3.21, 3.55, 3.92 and either are just $95 more ! Who knows maybe If I get lucky I could have the opportunity to test drive all 3 and "see" if I feel a difference ! ?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah the V6 also gets the option of the 3.55s, V8 trucks don't. I always recommend people to try every configuration they are considering, that way you find what works for you and don't second guess your choice.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
i wonder what (if any) the gears on a truck make a difference for re-sale. BBW (if he isn't sleeping in that new laramie on his lot) might give us some insight.
icon_rolleyes.gif
263a.png

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
Yeah the V6 also gets the option of the 3.55s, V8 trucks don't. I always recommend people to try every configuration they are considering, that way you find what works for you and don't second guess your choice.
YUP, what he said, I mean you said ! For me, the 3 options I mentioned were just for the V6 ! And as I said earlier IF (hoping it's a BIG If) the eTorque's have issues - then I would choose the STD V8 as a 3.21 ! That is what I had back then & suited me just fine - even towing ! And now with the "new stuff" - well, as I said earlier, the "Pedigree" is "The Finest" money can buy IMO ! Just add an AFE Free Flow Fllter system and you'll SEE a nice improvement in On Highway MPG - I DID back then ( 2003 >2015 ) !

Rustydodge

Reaction score
mikemcfarland said:
i wonder what (if any) the gears on a truck make a difference for re-sale. BBW (if he isn't sleeping in that new laramie on his lot) might give us some insight.
icon_rolleyes.gif
263a.png
Every single person should order a 3.92 with either e-locker or anti-spin so it is easier for me to find a decently equipped used truck
263a.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rustydodge said:
Every single person should order a 3.92 with either e-locker or anti-spin so it is easier for me to find a decently equipped used truck
263a.png
yes. Just check the off road package and make sure they got the trailer brake too.

@Rustydodge this is what I hope happens with powerwagons. I hope alot of people buy 2018 powerwagons and then just have to have the redesign. 2500 lightly used miles and a drop in price cause the new one is so spectacular.

Oh...3.21 vs 3.92...well 3.73 seems to be the sweet spot they have found for the Heavy duty. 3.55 works excellent behind my Ole V10.

Still wondering why they don't offer the 3.55 if they do have the axle available for the V6.
1f615.png

1f60e.png

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I'm guessing they were just trying to simplify all the programming/shift maps. Eliminating one gear ratio selection probably eliminated some work.there. High level you can probably split 1/2 buyers in 2 categories - those that need to tow, and those that dont. 3.55 may be good all around ratio but it neither gives Ram the best EPA economy numbers nor the highest tow rating configuration.

D

Deleted member103

devildodge said:
yes. Just check the off road package and make sure they got the trailer brake too.

@Rustydodge this is what I hope happens with powerwagons. I hope alot of people buy 2018 powerwagons and then just have to have the redesign. 2500 lightly used miles and a drop in price cause the new one is so spectacular.

Oh...3.21 vs 3.92...well 3.73 seems to be the sweet spot they have found for the Heavy duty. 3.55 works excellent behind my Ole V10.

Still wondering why they don't offer the 3.55 if they do have the axle available for the V6.
1f615.png

1f60e.png
They DO . . . all 3 available for the V6 at just another $95 . . . for the Big Horn, that is . . . not sure about any other models !

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The truck I drove yesterday had the 3.92's. Even at highway speeds it was sitting around maybe 1800 RPM. it also spent a lot of time in ECO mode and coming from a 4thGen when you know MDS is active, I literally could not even tell when it was driving the 2019 aside from the light on the dash.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
The truck I drove yesterday had the 3.92's. Even at highway speeds it was sitting around maybe 1800 RPM. it also spent a lot of time in ECO mode and coming from a 4thGen when you know MDS is active, I literally could not even tell when it was driving the 2019 aside from the light on the dash.
There's even an option to make that light not even show up on the dash in the uconnect system. You can only barely hear it if youre listening as hard as you can with the radio off. I was somewhat skeptical of how effective the noise reduction modules would be but it truly works, along iwth ht eincreased amounts of sound insulation. I wonder how it is effected with an aftermarket exhaust.

I honestly never really noticed MDS until I put my exhaust on my 2011. I plan on picking up the Carven Progressive once available, if not that doing the magnaflow 18 again.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
There's even an option to make that light not even show up on the dash in the uconnect system. You can only barely hear it if youre listening as hard as you can with the radio off. I was somewhat skeptical of how effective the noise reduction modules would be but it truly works, along iwth ht eincreased amounts of sound insulation. I wonder how it is effected with an aftermarket exhaust.

I honestly never really noticed MDS until I put my exhaust on my 2011. I plan on picking up the Carven Progressive once available, if not that doing the magnaflow 18 again.
The active noise cancellation works wonders. I can't believe how quiet the truck is inside. Outside it still has a nice growl that I will be posting a video of.

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
The active noise cancellation works wonders. I can't believe how quiet the truck is inside. Outside it still has a nice growl that I will be posting a video of.
May I suggest when you do the video, be sure to accentuate the Differences with the engine noise & the 'NC sound-system' while driving - Windows Up & all Windows Down ! A TRUE test experience for ALL of us at Once ! ps, be sure the batteries are all charged, no glitches present and Sound turned Up on your Camera or device used !
263a.png
263a.png

Users who are viewing this thread