5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Doesn’t have to be a trip. Just normal driving around for 100 miles over a few days. Let’s see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I went from 3.21 to 3.92 and if not for the trailer it will pull, I’d have stayed with 3.21. This truck is horrible on fuel, no matter what I do I can’t get beyond 12 mpg. Lots of get up and go if I need it, but that’s not very often. If I tromped on the 3.21s it felt a little sluggish, 3.92s are much better that way (in a heavier truck - from the cash I have to carry for fuel 😁).

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn’t have to be a trip. Just normal driving around for 100 miles over a few days. Let’s see it.

I've been home for two weeks.

This is how many miles I've put on my truck since:
20220516_135138.jpg

I'll put probably another 20 miles on it before there's a camper behind it again. But if I hit 100 miles, I'll be sure to let you know.

Dewey

Reaction score
That's probably true. I haven't made a trip yet that was more than 100 miles without a trailer behind me.
You may have already mentioned but I’m curious what you average mpg is while towing your trailer? You must have a bunch of data on that by now.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You may have already mentioned but I’m curious what you average mpg is while towing your trailer? You must have a bunch of data on that by now.
In 5,726 miles of towing, I'm averaging 10.2 mpg. I've seen averages on specific legs of our trips anywhere from 8-13 mpg depending on where we are. Florida has been good to the average. West Virgina, Tennessee, Virginia, etc. not so much.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol meaning you’re sitting in traffic stopped and your engine is off.

Yep. Somehow I drove 16 miles and the engine didn't turn on once. 3.92s even better than I thought. They don't even need an engine!

BowDown

Reaction score

This is mine towing a 2290lb tandem axle uhaul trailer with 3000lbs of stone loaded on it. This was from the stone yard back home, about 20 miles

2000x1500.jpeg

3.21's had no issues. One thing I did notice is that in tow/haul mode, it held the gear longer than I cared for and to me unnecessarily, turned tow/haul off and it shifted at more comfortable lower rpms. Seems like they programmed tow/haul to be a bit too aggressive or for a heavier load

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yep. Somehow I drove 16 miles and the engine didn't turn on once. 3.92s even better than I thought. They don't even need an engine!

16 miles in a half hr. Ether you were doing 30mph the entire time or you were sitting in stop and go traffic where the engine was shutting off.

You’re really trying hard to hide a real world long term average mpg with you’re “superior” gears eh.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
16 miles in a half hr. Ether you were doing 30mph the entire time or you were sitting in stop and go traffic where the engine was shutting off.

You’re really trying hard to hide a real world long term average mpg with you’re “superior” gears eh.

Or...hear me out...it was a mix.

You're trying so hard to cling to that fuel economy "advantage" you never had in the first place.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Oh the mpg advantage has already been had!

You’ve just failed to prove your point over a long term average.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh the mpg advantage has already been had!

You’ve just failed to prove your point over a long term average.

I dunno.

Feels like there's been enough math here for us all to know that 37.9 mpg is better than 21.5 mpg.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
37.9 mpg was over an average of 30 miles. The 21.5 was over 1500.

That silly math at it again.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
37.9 mpg was over an average of 30 miles. The 21.5 was over 1500.

That silly math at it again.

Well, that's why it's an average...

Dewey

Reaction score
In 5,726 miles of towing, I'm averaging 10.2 mpg. I've seen averages on specific legs of our trips anywhere from 8-13 mpg depending on where we are. Florida has been good to the average. West Virgina, Tennessee, Virginia, etc. not so much.
How heavy is your trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread