5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
but at what speed and over how many miles? IIRC your 20 mpg pic was based off 49 mph whereas mine 21.5 was based off 73 mph and we all know the trickery in the above pic

View attachment 130418

That's an average speed of 72mph driving Dallas through Houston (at 9AM), not 49mph or a quick reset of the fuel mileage screen while driving slow.
Prior to getting into Houston during morning rush hour, I was at 22.x
I haven’t had the opportunity to drive several hundred unloaded miles on the highway. My truck is generally either towing something, hauling something, or sitting in the garage.

But, if I'm getting 24.7 mpg in the city...can't wait to get it on the highway someday.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I heard your truck was one of the rare prototypes that was accidentally released from the factory with 2.29 gears but was mistakenly listed as 3.92’s. 😬
Impossible. I tow with it and it didn't blow up immediately.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
4 Lo and I don't think it would have mattered what rear end you had...
Yup. 4 Lo does wonders. I’ve pulled out a bunch of smaller stumps in my yard after a tornado and with 3.21 gears even. Only damage was to my lawn. 😆

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mines off since I got my 33’s. Never got my ecu corrected. I’m usually average 18+ Mixed driving

BowDown

Reaction score
Can someone clue me in on how you are getting the mileage numbers you are posting? I have searched and found nothing. I reckon I am missing some inside joke or something.

Some of these guys are messing with you by resetting the mileage while driving a slow steady speed then snapping a pic. Don't be fooled, look for an average MPG over a 100 plus miles then divide the distance traveled by the time and see what the average speed was. 22mpg at 40mph ain't impressive 20201110_173507.jpg

This is an average over the 1st 6700 miles, mixed city driving

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4 Lo and I don't think it would have mattered what rear end you had...
Maybe. Probably. But still fun. Actually I did put it in 4LO because I was on gravel and didn't want to sling it everywhere.

Turns out the metal basket was still around the root ball. I'd forgotten all about that being on there.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
but at what speed and over how many miles? IIRC your 20 mpg pic was based off 49 mph whereas mine 21.5 was based off 73 mph and we all know the trickery in the above pic

View attachment 130418

That's an average speed of 72mph driving Dallas through Houston (at 9AM), not 49mph or a quick reset of the fuel mileage screen while driving slow.
Prior to getting into Houston during morning rush hour, I was at 22.x

View attachment 130420

Here's a full tank average, mixed city and highway in North Dallas, avg speed is 39 mph over 435 miles

Looks like a CEL in the second photo.

BowDown

Reaction score
Looks like a CEL in the second photo.

The engine is off with the ignition in the run position, knock on wood, this truck has been flawless and with the new Uconnect 4 12" update, the 12" screen is working perfectly with no SiriusXM freezes.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
What’s trailer gain?

"Trailer gain is the amount of power a brake controller applies to the trailer brakes. It is equal to the maximum amount of stopping force for the trailer. As the vehicle brake pedal is applied, the gain tells the brake controller how much electrical power to apply to the trailer brake electromagnets."

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Some of these guys are messing with you by resetting the mileage while driving a slow steady speed then snapping a pic. Don't be fooled, look for an average MPG over a 100 plus miles then divide the distance traveled by the time and see what the average speed was. 22mpg at 40mph ain't impressive View attachment 130451

This is an average over the 1st 6700 miles, mixed city driving

Mr blazer will never show this screen with over 100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mr blazer will never show this screen with over 100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's probably true. I haven't made a trip yet that was more than 100 miles without a trailer behind me.

Users who are viewing this thread