5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3:21 vs 3:92 Gears

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just for giggles I did a few 0-60 runs with my lowly 3.21’s. I was pretty surprised.

3DD714AF-D9A4-4DD5-BD92-068843897D05.jpeg 92BD8A3A-1CD1-4FBB-839C-D56099483217.jpeg
Brand new my truck was 7.1 sec. Seems everything loosened up a bit at 120,000 miles. 😲

It’s no TRX but that nothing to sneeze at either for a fully loaded crew cab Laramie with a 6’4” box. Only mods are air intake and exhaust. Also put in 4 wd lock so very little wheel spin at launch.

Obviously towing’s a little different story but it’s always interesting seeing some real world numbers.

Curious what you 3.92 guys are seeing 0-60? I’m guessing low to mid 6’s if you can hook up. G/T’s should be easy with the Performance Pages available.

This site is interesting but wish they broke down by gear ratio.

Last edited:

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Just for giggles I did a few 0-60 runs with my lowly 3.21’s. I was pretty surprised.

View attachment 127995 View attachment 127996
Brand new my truck was 7.1 sec. Seems everything loosened up a bit at 120,000 miles. 😲

It’s no TRX but that nothing to sneeze at either for a fully loaded crew cab Laramie with a 6’4” box. Only mods are air intake and exhaust. Also put in 4 wd lock so very little wheel spin at launch.

Obviously towing’s a little different story but it’s always interesting seeing some real world numbers.

Curious what you 3.92 guys are seeing 0-60? I’m guessing low to mid 6’s if you can hook up. G/T’s should be easy with the Performance Pages available.
I am still waiting on my Limited Longhorn with the 3.92 gear ratio, but via youtube, I have seen the 0-60 being in the ~5.8-6.0 range.

Also - the argument is hilarious and I am loving it. MPG is important for me, but obviously it wasn't the be-all-end-all for me, or I wouldn't have went with the 3.92. If MPG is your top priority, then the Ford powerboost might be a better route for you. The RAM won out for me where it counts, but there are solid options out there that get better MPG without sacrificing power.

klammer

Reaction score
Yup. They tease us with the 3.55’s listed on the Build & Price but then tell you it’s only for the V6 only it appears. I think they would be a nice happy medium for those on the fence between 3.21 and 3.92.
In 2013, I ordered my first Ram Sport. I ordered it with 3.55 gears. They were a nice medium but for some odd reason they stopped the 3.55's with the Hemi a year later. Tried to order my 17 with them and no go with the 5.7. The 3.21's have worked fine hauling an enclosed 7x12 trailer with my Street Glide in it. I do use tow/haul for most of the towing. Probably wouldn't have to with 3.92.

Dewey

Reaction score
I am still waiting on my Limited Longhorn with the 3.92 gear ratio, but via youtube, I have seen the 0-60 being in the ~5.8-6.0 range.

Also - the argument is hilarious and I am loving it. MPG is important for me, but obviously it wasn't the be-all-end-all for me, or I wouldn't have went with the 3.92. If MPG is your top priority, then the Ford powerboost might be a better route for you. The RAM won out for me where it counts, but there are solid options out there that get better MPG without sacrificing power.
Looks like the 5th gens picked up another half second faster over the 4th gens. (See the 0-60 website I added above)
Is this due to E-Torque? Does it give you a bit more boost at takeoff? I honestly don’t know as I have never driven one. 🤔

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I learned about diff gearing long ago when tinkering with corvettes, camaros, etc. Did a 3.23 to 3.73 swap on one of them. acceleration was way better, but cruising rpm was almost 2k. So mpg went down. still holds true today.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I learned about diff gearing long ago when tinkering with corvettes, camaros, etc. Did a 3.23 to 3.73 swap on one of them. acceleration was way better, but cruising rpm was almost 2k. So mpg went down. still holds true today.
How much milage did you loose? I swapped 3.27s out to 3.73s in my Town Car and only lost 1/2 mpg.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
found another thread with almost the same title

Users who are viewing this thread