5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3:21 vs 3:92 Gears

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If major towing or hauling was my goal I’d be ordering a Cummin’s.

Heaviest thing I tow is my 2000 lb boat and 3.21’s do just fine. Never once felt like I needed a steeper gear ratio. In the end it’s purely dependant on the user and what their needs are. Not everyone needs 3.92’s. That’s why they have options when ordering. If I’m ever in a sticky situation off road and need more gear that’s what they make 4 LOW for. Hasn’t failed me yet.😆

I gotta laugh at the 3.21 vs 3.92 arguments. If you guys were really serious you would ditch that crappy 3.92 factory ratio for a much steeper aftermarket rear end built for extreme use that will really get the job done. Why mess around with the factory junk?🤔

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Heaviest thing I tow is my 2000 lb boat and 3.21’s do just fine. Never once felt like I needed a steeper gear ratio. In the end it’s purely dependant on the user and what their needs are. Not everyone needs 3.92’s. That’s why they have options when ordering. If I’m ever in a sticky situation off road and need more gear that’s what they make 4 LOW for. Hasn’t failed me yet.😆

I gotta laugh at the 3.21 vs 3.92 arguments. If you guys were really serious you would ditch that crappy 3.92 factory ratio for a much steeper aftermarket rear end built for extreme use that will really get the job done. Why mess around with the factory junk?🤔
I used to haul a 2000lb boat with my Chevy Colorado 200hp I5 and 3.05 gears. So yea, you're good there.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

3.21s aren't an option. That's what Ram threw in for people who don't know any better. The bare minimum needed to move the "truck" out of its own way...

Dewey

Reaction score
3.21s aren't an option. That's what Ram threw in for people who don't know any better. The bare minimum needed to move the "truck" out of its own way...
OK. You keep believing that. 😆

I’m hoping your just joking around and not actually serious. I’ll give you that benefit. Either way no hard feelings on my part.

Dewey

Reaction score
My truck has 3.21 rear...but because of this thread, I'm going to write 3.92 in sharpie on the diff cover so anyone following me will see it and be fooled.
You’ll be much cooler if you do. 😆

Better not have loud exhaust though. The experts will be able to differentiate those few extra rpm’s flowing out your pipes.

petersandler

Reaction score
I went with 3.21 with my order for the same reason. If I do end up towing, it'll be a small trailer for extra room for moving furniture or something random. I may tow my parent's boat, if needed, where the 3.92 would be way better. But thats likely to be a once a year occurrence if that. The 1-2 mpg's add up in my opinion.

I'm kind of upset that I ordered a 3.21. Even though I rarely ever tow (especially since I sold the boat last year), knowing that the biggest travel trailer I can tow is limited to a 33 footer really has me bummed. What was I thinking?!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I'm kind of upset that I ordered a 3.21. Even though I rarely ever tow (especially since I sold the boat last year), knowing that the biggest travel trailer I can tow is limited to a 33 footer really has me bummed. What was I thinking?!
Don't be bummed. The 3.21 gears go perfectly with your Wonder Bread PJ's. 🤣

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My truck has 3.21 rear...but because of this thread, I'm going to write 3.92 in sharpie on the diff cover so anyone following me will see it and be fooled.
You'll add at least 50 hp with that one simple trick alone!

Islander

Reaction score
This is an entertaining thread to say the least :)...however I do have a question since I am new to the world of trucks & gearing options.

Does the slight mpg advantage of the 3.21 I keep reading about really only occur when driving at hwy speeds like 65mph+ or even at much lower speeds?

Where I live the "hwy" speed limit is 40 lol and most other roads are 20...so all my driving is like 25-50mph tops. I ordered a 3.92 just because I thought it would feel a bit more more fun to drive on pavement and when I hit some of the hilly dirt roads we have...and in case I eventually buy a boat and need to tow once in a while.

Not concerned really about mpg...but just curious?

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is an entertaining thread to say the least :)...however I do have a question since I am new to the world of trucks & gearing options.

Does the slight mpg advantage of the 3.21 I keep reading about really only occur when driving at hwy speeds like 65mph+ or even at much lower speeds?

Where I live the "hwy" speed limit is 40 lol and most other roads are 20...so all my driving is like 25-50mph tops. I ordered a 3.92 just because I thought it would feel a bit more more fun to drive on pavement and when I hit some of the hilly dirt roads we have...and in case I eventually buy a boat and need to tow once in a while.

You made it into the he-man club then. Way to go!

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You made the perfect choice!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

You are not getting any better milage with taller gears driving around on a rock in the ocean. You got the right gears. You have flexibility to do as you please.

Users who are viewing this thread