5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3:21 vs 3:92 Gears

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is an entertaining thread to say the least :)...however I do have a question since I am new to the world of trucks & gearing options.

Does the slight mpg advantage of the 3.21 I keep reading about really only occur when driving at hwy speeds like 65mph+ or even at much lower speeds?

Where I live the "hwy" speed limit is 40 lol and most other roads are 20...so all my driving is like 25-50mph tops. I ordered a 3.92 just because I thought it would feel a bit more more fun to drive on pavement and when I hit some of the hilly dirt roads we have...and in case I eventually buy a boat and need to tow once in a while.

Not concerned really about mpg...but just curious?
Any alleged fuel savings for the 3.21s on the highway are easily wiped out when the truck is overworked trying to accelerate with those inferior gears.

Besides, I still haven't seen 3.21s hit these numbers...
20220327_141240.jpg

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any alleged fuel savings for the 3.21s on the highway are easily wiped out when the truck is overworked trying to accelerate with those inferior gears.

Besides, I still haven't seen 3.21s hit these numbers...
View attachment 127929
I coasted down the Beartooth in Yellowstone and easily doubled that with 3.21’s. 😆

Going up was a ***** and would be with 3.92’s as well.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Post what? Me coasting downhill and never touching the gas?

It was a joke. 😉
0e6ceac3-43a1-440d-a51b-e84df9188009_text.gif

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Replace the Prius tires with truck tires and you are at 200-300 rpm different. Keeping it from lugging along. If you believe that is killing you go for it.

@SnowBlaZR2 pointed out earlier that you are saving gas by not working so hard to get moving.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is an entertaining thread to say the least :)...however I do have a question since I am new to the world of trucks & gearing options.

Does the slight mpg advantage of the 3.21 I keep reading about really only occur when driving at hwy speeds like 65mph+ or even at much lower speeds?

Where I live the "hwy" speed limit is 40 lol and most other roads are 20...so all my driving is like 25-50mph tops. I ordered a 3.92 just because I thought it would feel a bit more more fun to drive on pavement and when I hit some of the hilly dirt roads we have...and in case I eventually buy a boat and need to tow once in a while.

Not concerned really about mpg...but just curious?

Sure, it'll do just like you want, and in your case it's a great choice. However, and I'm speaking as a 3.21 EcoDiesel guy...you'll be stopping for gas about every 2,000 feet. But, for those 2,000 feet, you'll feel the oomph.
;)

ChrisID

Reaction score
I own both. '21 3.2 and '20 3.9. I tow 6500 TT w/3.2 and it did great, only little compliant is it shifts 3 through 7 all day up and down in the mid-Atlantic hills. Not the end of the world. My 3.9 does this much less, that's all.
The way I drive, with a heavy foot, my 3.9 actually gets 1-2 better mpg overall.
My next rams will always be 3.9, but only cause it's a little better (for me). And the 3.9 does feel a little snappier all around.
Either way, put your foot down and enjoy.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I own both. '21 3.2 and '20 3.9. I tow 6500 TT w/3.2 and it did great, only little compliant is it shifts 3 through 7 all day up and down in the mid-Atlantic hills. Not the end of the world. My 3.9 does this much less, that's all.
The way I drive, with a heavy foot, my 3.9 actually gets 1-2 better mpg overall.
My next rams will always be 3.9, but only cause it's a little better (for me). And the 3.9 does feel a little snappier all around.
and what kills transmissions?
heat from shifting "all day up and down"

to each their own
what I do not understand is why the 3.21's are knocking the 3.92's and vice versa
if you are happy with what you have leave us 3.92's alone

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's why if you are towing heavy, the 3.92s are better. If not, 3.21s are fine and get a little better mpg if you drive normal.

petersandler

Reaction score
and what kills transmissions?
heat from shifting "all day up and down"

to each their own
what I do not understand is why the 3.21's are knocking the 3.92's and vice versa
if you are happy with what you have leave us 3.92's alone
I’d say it’s the other way around. The 3.92 posts here claim they get faster acceleration, heavier towing AND better gas mileage. If all three of those statements were indeed true, they wouldn’t offer a 3.21.

The absurdity of the entire debate is the inability of both sides to just admit that each option has a real purpose. It’s why they offer OPTIONS.

Next thing you know is people will be arguing 33 gallon gas tank vs 26 gallon tank.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If all three of those statements were indeed true, they wouldn’t offer a 3.21.
You don't think they'd offer an option that's not quite as good as something else?
Next thing you know is people will be arguing 33 gallon gas tank vs 26 gallon tank.
You didn't even list the right answer. :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread