5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21. vs 3.92 gear

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A 6.4L HEMI probably weighs 1,000lb less than the 6.7L Cummins ;)
The 6.4 and the Cummins have the same GVWR. It is ththe 5.7 l Hemi that has 1000 lbs less GVWR. (Due to duty cycle of engine)

That said the 6.4l Hemi is the max payload for 2500. The Cummins has...wait for it...about 890 lbs less because the Cummins does weigh more and takes away from payload...you know like we have been trying to explain for how a limited has less payload than a tradesman

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 6.4 and the Cummins have the same GVWR. It is ththe 5.7 l Hemi that has 1000 lbs less GVWR.

That said the 6.4l Hemi is the max payload for 2500. The Cummins has...wait for it...about 890 lbs less because the Cummins does weigh more and takes away from payload...you know like we have been trying to explain for how a limited ha less payload than a tradesman
Yes, I'm watching that discussion with some amusement. My old truck (2003 GMC 1500HD) was an unusual combination of a previous-generation 3/4-ton truck frame (roughly 1,000 lb lighter than the new generation HD) with the new generation's powertrain (6.0L V8 and HD transmission). It was badged as a "1500HD" because GM wanted to offer a "1/2-ton" crew cab without actually designing a new 1/2-ton chassis. Regardless, the result of using an older, lighter 3/4-ton frame in a 1/2-ton application was RIDICULOUS payload on the order of 2,800 lb.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So much great information to take in from every ones input here. But as stated it appears a 6.4 swap out for the 5.7 in the 1500 would be a much better pull coupled with a 3.55 or the 3.92. The answer most likely is bottom line profit and to make the MPG threshold mandated on the 1500 since MPG is not a required threshold for the 2500 series. Of course until the stockpiles of 5.7 is depleted FCA most certainly will pay mind to the stock pile to optimize the bottom line profits. Also as mentioned the 5.7 stock pile will deplete faster by utilizing in the 2500 series until depletion is accomplished.IMO the 6 bangers will replace the 5.7 and the 5.7 will be replaced by the 6.4 is the direction,but only imo.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Note also that the max-tow is only available with eTorque. Probably due to the way eTorque reduces transmission stress during shifts as well as the additional engine braking it can provide.

But only be a few hundred lbs. just over a persons weight difference is not much. But it seems the breaking is much appreciated and initial take off from a dead stop or hill pull from a dead stop.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So much great information to take in from every ones input here. But as stated it appears a 6.4 swap out for the 5.7 in the 1500 would be a much better pull coupled with a 3.55 or the 3.92. The answer most likely is bottom line profit and to make the MPG threshold mandated on the 1500 since MPG is not a required threshold for the 2500 series. Of course until the stockpiles of 5.7 is depleted FCA most certainly will pay mind to the stock pile to optimize the bottom line profits. Also as mentioned the 5.7 stock pile will deplete faster by utilizing in the 2500 series until depletion is accomplished.IMO the 6 bangers will replace the 5.7 and the 5.7 will be replaced by the 6.4 is the direction,but only imo.
I just hope that 7.0l Banshee gets some love for more than just a go fast offroader and gets the same deal the 6.4l BGE got from the 6.4l Dodge and jeep use.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For sure!!
I have an 8.0l V10 that was limited to the transmission of the day. So, transmissions don't have those limitations on gas engines anymore. A 7.0l BGE should be able to be at the Cummins range (mated to the G56) with torque and way more horsepower...and with MDS moving that 2500 HD should be much more economical on the fuel budget also.

Chris

Reaction score
A 6.4L HEMI probably weighs 1,000lb less than the 6.7L Cummins ;)
While probably true, it doesn’t explain why the truck frame with a 6.4l can handle 10k lbs while the same truck with a 5.7l can only handle 9k lbs, when on the other hand a 4x2 1500 with either a 3.6l or a 5.7l are both rated at the same 6900 lbs :p

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an 8.0l V10 that was limited to the transmission of the day. So, transmissions don't have those limitations on gas engines anymore. A 7.0l BGE should be able to be at the Cummins range (mated to the G56) with torque and way more horsepower...and with MDS moving that 2500 HD should be much more economical on the fuel budget also.
fantastic!

Chris

Reaction score
The 6.4 and the Cummins have the same GVWR. It is ththe 5.7 l Hemi that has 1000 lbs less GVWR. (Due to duty cycle of engine)
Is it easier on the engine to tow then to haul, since the GVWR is engine limited but the GCVWR is higher then that limited rating?

Chris

Reaction score
... as stated it appears a 6.4 swap out for the 5.7 in the 1500 would be a much better pull coupled with a 3.55 or the 3.92.
I disagree; current reviews already show that the tranny runs at the high end of its temp range under load, so to increase that load I think you would need to pair that 6.4l to a higher gear or a heavier duty tranny.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While probably true, it doesn’t explain why the truck frame with a 6.4l can handle 10k lbs while the same truck with a 5.7l can only handle 9k lbs, when on the other hand a 4x2 1500 with either a 3.6l or a 5.7l are both rated at the same 6900 lbs :p
Reread my post. I explained the 5.7 l Hemi in the post (duty cycle) and I said the 2wd is different...it has a max of 6900...the Hemi would be more if the truck could be

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reread my post. I explained the 5.7 l Hemi in the post (duty cycle) and I said the 2wd is different...it has a max of 6900...the Hemi would be more if the truck could be
And if you look the 2wd has a few different GVWR. 6800 for a quad cab and 6010 for the yet to be seen HFE.

If you look at th the 3500 series...dual rear wheels and the Aisin trans is what gives it the better numbers.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But only be a few hundred lbs. just over a persons weight difference is not much. But it seems the breaking is much appreciated and initial take off from a dead stop or hill pull from a dead stop.
The max-tow package is rated at 12750. That’s about 1100 more than any other configuration. Yes mostly due to the upgraded rear axle but eTorque must have something to do with that rating since max-tow is not offered without eTorque.

We know the transmission is good for 12750 towing with the 3.92 and eTorque. The standard rear axle, with 3.92, no.

We also know that the 5.7 can accelerate a 12750 trailer and still meet the Jxxxx towing standard. Same for stopping and maneuvering.

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
The max-tow package is rated at 12750. That’s about 1100 more than any other configuration. Yes mostly due to the upgraded rear axle but eTorque must have something to do with that rating since max-tow is not offered without eTorque.

We know the transmission is good for 12750 towing with the 3.92 and eTorque. The standard rear axle, with 3.92 no.

We also know that the 5.7 can accelerate a 12750 trailer and still meet the Jxxxx towing standard. Same for stopping and maneuvering.
Doesn't the 12750 Max-tow package come with a tranny cooler?

Chris

Reaction score
All Hemi trucks have a heavy duty cooling package standard.

V6 it is an option. Somewhere is the thread where I went into this in greater detail
Do you have a (Ram or non-forum) link for this? I was under the impression that only the max tow package and specific 4x2 packages included the tranny cooler.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will see if I can find my exact post.

But it is in the feature guide, probably since 2003...maybe not til the 4th gen in 09.

Screenshot_20181120-101606_Drive.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread