5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21. vs 3.92 gear

UnLimited

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents :For the extra 3,100 lbs towing capacity, for me, I'll gladly give up 1 mpg. I have the 3.92 in my Rebel, and only have about 1200 miles on it. I get a solid 18 MPG with ~90% city driving.

I’m at 2800 miles, 3 weeks in and about 2100 towing. This past week without tow and mixed driving 15% highway, I can’t get past 12 mpg and I’m easy on the pedal. Disappointing.

Grayfuji

Reaction score
I have the 3.92 with just over 1000 miles and 15.2 mpg average, haven't reset the counter though planning on doing that next fill up....... edit...... driving in 2wd and definitely not like a granny, having a bit of a hard time keeping my foot light on the throttle.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My lifetime (~2,300 mi) average is just over 15 mpg with a "heavy" truck and 3.92 ratio. Interestingly, I was running 93 octane (out of habit) and seeing north of 16 mpg on my last couple of tanks, whereas I switched to 89 octane this tank and am seeing just under 15 mpg. I'll keep an eye on this and see if it's just an anomaly, or if the computer needs time to adjust, or if my engine just happens to be a little high on the compression side and does better on premium.

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Man, I hope this is because of the time of year and that these trucks aren't broke in well yet. My 2011 3.92 Outdoorsman got 17 - 18 and 2016 3.92 Bighorn gets 18 - 19 on a trip. It did seem to take the 16 a while to get to that point. Can't imagine why a truck with better aerodynamics with the same powertrain would get less

Autoplay

Reaction score
I’m at 17.4 mpg,and that’s on a 900 mile average. Driving conditions are about 50-50,city/highway.

All the miles in RWD,Florida weather,mostly flat terrain.

th3duke

Reaction score
Sorry, I find this very hard to believe. You must drive 45MPH down hill and never hit a stop light.

Log your mileage and tank fills on Fuelly.com.

Believe what you wish but that was the mileage I was getting (based on the in dash MPG), and I was definitely driving it like a granny. Although with the recent change to winter gasoline, I'm getting terrible mileage now - only 14 MPG on average.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Believe what you wish but that was the mileage I was getting (based on the in dash MPG), and I was definitely driving it like a granny. Although with the recent change to winter gasoline, I'm getting terrible mileage now - only 14 MPG on average.

On my trip to WI and back, the dash MPG was generally overly optimistic by 1-2 mpg... Fuelly does not lie. Highly recommend the app for true mileage tracking.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m at 17.4 mpg,and that’s on a 900 mile average. Driving conditions are about 50-50,city/highway.

All the miles in RWD,Florida weather,mostly flat terrain.

Your truck is similar to mine. What is your highway speed and what octane are you using?

Autoplay

Reaction score
Your truck is similar to mine. What is your highway speed and what octane are you using?

On I75 65-78 mph. And I’m using 89 octane.

I leave for a cruise on Saturday. When I begin my trip on freeway,I’ll reset MPG and try to get average for a 220 mile trip,exclusive highway miles.

If I let my wifey drive,I might set a record for MPG I.E. 25+ lol(she runs trauma at hospital here,so she sees lots of accident victims etc,and drives overly safe).

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On I75 65-78 mph. And I’m using 89 octane.

I leave for a cruise on Saturday. When I begin my trip on freeway,I’ll reset MPG and try to get average for a 220 mile trip,exclusive highway miles.

If I let my wifey drive,I might set a record for MPG I.E. 25+ lol(she runs trauma at hospital here,so she sees lots of accident victims etc,and drives overly safe).

Thanks...still need to calculate the trip back from WI, but I used 89 on the way down and it seemed to do better.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
I have put 2,257 miles on my truck (50/50 highway/city) and I am getting 16.70 mpg's with the 3.21. I was honestly expecting much better out of the 3.21 but I'm hoping its just because the engine needs to break-in more, time will tell! I am in Texas so we don't switch to winter gas mixture that I am aware of.

I don't use Fuelly very much but only because I have an app on my phone that I have been using since 2010 but it still accomplishes the same goal.

Attachments

• mpg.png
    mpg.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 89

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Past week or so i change my commute from home to the office.
i added 2.5 miles, ~ 4 mins total travel time, and lost 5 traffic signals.
Old route i averaged 15.3 mpg, new route, averaging 17.6 mpg.
4X2 / 3:21 with 2560 miles on the clock.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
One other thing I thought about this morning is how much would a tonneau cover help with fuel economy. I'd expect on the highway it could matter. I have one of the Gator Tri-Folds on mine, which is super lightweight. I guess if/when ARE gets their CX-REVO in production, I'll find out if the added weight affects it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread