5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21. vs 3.92 gear

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do it. If you're really that concerned about fuel economy, use your right foot less and enjoy the actual benefits you get with a real truck. :LOL:
Well, can’t, and won’t use my right foot less. Let the Big Dog eat.
I would actually like to get some real numbers on lifetime mileages of 3.21 vs 3.92 (before I concede about the real truck thing), but it seems no one knows or wants to post that info.
Mileage does matter these days unfortunately for me.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because they know their numbers will be **** poor and it will kill their arguments.

I’ve already posted my 1500 mile trip average showing 21.5mpg

I’ve yet to see that from a 3.92 guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have 7,232 miles on my truck. 5,726 of those miles are with a camper behind it. I also have 68 hours of idle time (needed truck WiFi for work in a few places).

I'd stomp the **** out of 21.5 mpg if I used it like a minivan.

petersandler

Reaction score
The dude is a clown who clearly needs to over-compensate his gear ratio manliness for other shortcomings in his life. The math and science behind different gear ratios are real. The fact that he can't admit it, only proves how small-minded he is. If you spend a lot of time highway driving, then 3.21 will be better for you. Around town, there's no difference. Yeah, the 3.92 is a tad "peppier". When I want acceleration, I drive my Porsche. The reality is, if I was regularly towing something with the extra weight that a 3.21 couldn't handle, I'd buy a 2500.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dude is a clown who clearly needs to over-compensate his gear ratio manliness for other shortcomings in his life. The math and science behind different gear ratios are real. The fact that he can't admit it, only proves how small-minded he is. If you spend a lot of time highway driving, then 3.21 will be better for you. Around town, there's no difference. Yeah, the 3.92 is a tad "peppier". When I want acceleration, I drive my Porsche. The reality is, if I was regularly towing something with the extra weight that a 3.21 couldn't handle, I'd buy a 2500.
It's incredible how good you are at completely missing the point over and over again.

Like you, @Ramroo believed that screen showed something it didn't. Unlike you, he had no problem admitting he was wrong. That post was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of it.

But thanks for making the comments about Porsches and 2500s. Says more than I ever could...

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually sold my tow vehicle a while back, and I am currently looking at 3500 SRW to replace it.
I will admit however, I do like the current generation interiors of the 1500s vs the so called “ 5 gen HD “ interior. You can’t put a frikin telescoping steering wheel in the HDs … awful.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, can’t, and won’t use my right foot less. Let the Big Dog eat.
I would actually like to get some real numbers on lifetime mileages of 3.21 vs 3.92 (before I concede about the real truck thing), but it seems no one knows or wants to post that info.
Mileage does matter these days unfortunately for me.
Even if you get those numbers, I don't know how useful they'd be. Different trucks, trims, driving styles, road conditions, tires, etc, etc, etc make it pretty much impossible to make a real world comparison between the two.

And despite what "indisputable math and science" guy says, the theoretical differences are also going to be mostly negligible applied across the board.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate to keep whipping this horse, but I’ve only had my 3.21 truck for 3,203 miles and I do know the mpg of those said miles is 16.9 mpg. Are the 3.92 trucks getting lifetime mileages close, the same, better ?
I would like to know if I’m taking my son’s truck back 😧
Here's my lifetime mileage. I haven't looked at this screen until today and it's about where I thought it would be. I get about 17.5 mpg in the summer months and 15.5 mpg in the winter. I don't log very many miles on the freeway and I'm an aggressive driver. I use remote start a lot in the cold months and 4WD in the winter. My wheel and tire setup are in my signature.

20220514_143707.jpg

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's my lifetime mileage. I haven't looked at this screen until today and it's about where I thought it would be. I get about 17.5 mpg in the summer months and 15.5 mpg in the winter. I don't log very many miles on the freeway and I'm an aggressive driver. I use remote start a lot in the cold months and 4WD in the winter. My wheel and tire setup are in my signature.

View attachment 129481
Good info, thanks.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even if you get those numbers, I don't know how useful they'd be. Different trucks, trims, driving styles, road conditions, tires, etc, etc, etc make it pretty much impossible to make a real world comparison between the two.

And despite what "indisputable math and science" guy says, the theoretical differences are also going to be mostly negligible applied across the board.
I agree with you. That’s why I had the brilliant idea of comparing my 2 trucks, same driver, habits, tires etc. but I’m too stupid to figure out the lifetime mileages.
I owe you one

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you. That’s why I had the brilliant idea of comparing my 2 trucks, same driver, habits, tires etc. but I’m too stupid to figure out the lifetime mileages.
I owe you one
How many miles did you say you drove your son's truck?

Also, what's the payload on the two? Any heavy aftermarket stuff on either?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I think your correct. I don’t have the 3.21 truck to go through the screens, but my son said the trip b is only apprx. 250 miles. I assumed the other pic was lifetime mileage. I stand corrected, I’m sorry about that. Thanks for not getting nasty.
Im just trying to get to the bottom of the 3.21 vs 3.92 mileage debate.
If you or anyone else has lifetime mileage of 3.21 or 3.92 trucks to show please do.

I appreciate ya
See sig.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many miles did you say you drove your son's truck?

Also, what's the payload on the two? Any heavy aftermarket stuff on either?
Don’t know for sure but I would guess I drove sons truck 13,000 to 14,000 of the 22,000 miles currently on it.
My payload is 1,170 lbs. I think my sons is close to that but can’t verify with him.
Hitches on both, bed cover on his, topper on mine.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t know for sure but I would guess I drove sons truck 13,000 to 14,000 of the 22,000 miles currently on it.
My payload is 1,170 lbs. I think my sons is close to that but can’t verify with him.
Hitches on both, bed cover on his, topper on mine.
Gotcha. I think I'd ultimately have a hard time giving up that Longhorn interior. Unless the Laramie has the brown/beige interior. If it does, I don't even know why we're talking about gearing. Go get that Laramie! :LOL:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. I think I'd ultimately have a hard time giving up that Longhorn interior. Unless the Laramie has the brown/beige interior. If it does, I don't even know why we're talking about gearing. Go get that Laramie! :LOL:
Yea, I know what you mean about the all brown Longhorn. Mine is black and brown. The Laramie is all black, didn’t think I would like it but ended up really liking it. Either one is nice. What I like the most about the 3.21 is the long bed. I actually don’t think I will ever own a 1500 without the 6’4” bed again. I was mostly kidding about taking my son’s truck back, kinda.

Users who are viewing this thread