5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21. vs 3.92 gear

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is hard for me to believe you can’t figure the pictures out. My son took the pictures just moments apart while just sitting in his truck. The picture showing 13.7 mpg is the lifetime mileage after traveling 22,655.5 miles with most of those miles me driving. The trip A picture shows 13.6 mpg after traveling just 2,655.4 miles that is all my son driving. The 16.9 mpg is lifetime mpg after traveling 3,203.7 miles In the 3.21 that is all me.
I don't think you understand how the fuel mileage displays work. The page showing 13.7mpg isn't "lifetime" mileage. Maybe if you have never reset trip B it would be more correct

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I owned a 2014 w/5.7 Hemi & 3.21 and currently own a 2019 w/5.7 Hemi & 3.92. My mpg was similar to yours in both cases.

My preference was actually the 3.21. Especially for the numerous long trips I would make for business. It just drove more relaxed and got some hellacious mpg at hwy speed (21-23). I don't tow or race from stop light to stop light.

Don't get me wrong, I love both these trucks. Best long distance vehicles I've ever owned. Very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I think I have mentioned this before, but I prefer my 3.21 truck also. I also use my trucks as trucks. I have hauled max payload in both trucks along with towing, many, many times. I have put feed in 50 lb bags in the bed till it can’t hold anymore and then had to fill up the back seat area to the brim. Other trips same with seed and fertilizer, along with trailers with equipment to my different farms. All this traveling the hills of KY on interstate and small county roads up and down hills, and still prefer the 3.21, along with the increased mileage. Those that think a 3.21 truck cannot be used effectively as a truck are simply wrong.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
got-heem-laugh.gif

...and 13.6 mpg? I can damn near hit that when I'm towing.
Hey SB, hope all is well.
Can you please send in a pic of your lifetime mileage of your truck.
Thanks

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think you understand how the fuel mileage displays work. The page showing 13.7mpg isn't "lifetime" mileage. Maybe if you have never reset trip B it would be more correct
Ok I think your correct. I don’t have the 3.21 truck to go through the screens, but my son said the trip b is only apprx. 250 miles. I assumed the other pic was lifetime mileage. I stand corrected, I’m sorry about that. Thanks for not getting nasty.
Im just trying to get to the bottom of the 3.21 vs 3.92 mileage debate.
If you or anyone else has lifetime mileage of 3.21 or 3.92 trucks to show please do.

I appreciate ya

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
See we can agree on something. 👍🏻

One thing for sure is I’ll never be a “Fuel Economy Champion”. I like the gas pedal WAY too much. 😆

Like the old commercials say…….

I miss the old Hemi commercials. This one is my favorite. "Sweet!" They should resurrect the old commercials with the TRX.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
☠️☠️☠️ i see you with the tesla swap, you sly fox
I actually hacked the truck and am running entirely off the eTorque system. I can only go 4 mph for about 30 ft, but it will still haul my avocado tea and my hemp socks and I now get all the MPGs the 3.21 guys wish they had.

I have a switch for when a Camry wants to get spicy at the light and I need that Hemi.

petersandler

Reaction score
That's interesting considering the odometer mileage was exactly the same in the two pictures. So not sure how that would represent two different drivers.
I thought the same thing at first but then I realized, that one picture shows the life of the vehicle mpg and the other is mpg for a trip odometer, which is presumably since his son took the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the same thing at first but then I realized, that one picture shows the life of the vehicle mpg and the other is mpg for a trip odometer, which is presumably since his son took the truck.
The first display picture is not "life of the vehicle" display.

petersandler

Reaction score
The first display picture is not "life of the vehicle" display.
Ok, since it was last reset. I’ll take the OP at their word about what it represents. It’s fairly realistic considering a certain other poster won’t give any details about the trip (which is obviously a major downhill drive) for achieving 37mpg trailering.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, since it was last reset. I’ll take the OP at their word about what it represents. It’s fairly realistic considering a certain other poster won’t give any details about the trip (which is obviously a major downhill drive) for achieving 37mpg trailering.
Have you even bothered reading the thread?

Don't answer because you showed twice in one post that you haven't.

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate to keep whipping this horse, but I’ve only had my 3.21 truck for 3,203 miles and I do know the mpg of those said miles is 16.9 mpg. Are the 3.92 trucks getting lifetime mileages close, the same, better ?
I would like to know if I’m taking my son’s truck back 😧

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to keep whipping this horse, but I’ve only had my 3.21 truck for 3,203 miles and I do know the mpg of those said miles is 16.9 mpg. Are the 3.92 trucks getting lifetime mileages close, the same, better ?
This is my same display in my 3.92 truck. It has been reset more than once, and just in the last 15 minutes sitting at idle waiting on my daughter's friends to show up, it has dropped .2. if it was truly a "lifetime" monitor it would take a lot longer than that to change numbers.

Attachments

• PXL_20220514_200905310.jpg
    PXL_20220514_200905310.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 13

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it's been as high as 15.5 mpg within the last couple months. I really don't check that screen very often. I've also hand calculated over 19mpg in a 500 Mile trip to Oklahoma City last summer

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do it. If you're really that concerned about fuel economy, use your right foot less and enjoy the actual benefits you get with a real truck. :LOL:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is my same display in my 3.92 truck. It has been reset more than once, and just in the last 15 minutes sitting at idle waiting on my daughter's friends to show up, it has dropped .2. if it was truly a "lifetime" monitor it would take a lot longer than that to change numbers.
My 2017 has two trips. One I left since new and never reset. After 120,000 miles there’s no way it reflected true gas mileage over the last 5 years. I’ve watched it fluctuate quite drastically during that time. No way it’s an accurate depiction of long term MPG. Actually it seems to follow my other trip I reset at each fill up. Sounds like the 5th Gens are the same. The electronics must have a limit that automatically resets after a certain amount of time.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know if that thing has ever been reset in the 3.21 truck, I didn’t reset it. But I am done considering that screen any more for lifetime mileage. I guess no way to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread