5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21. vs 3.92 gear

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because if I drive 65mph only on a highway on flat terrain I can get over my estimated mpg as well.

I should have clarified. I’ve yet to see a long trip average of a 3.92 though the mountains including highway and town miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
are you referring to my post?
north bound on highway 99 around 70
NO mds, it was off.

what difference does it make?
So you were in the slow lane then. Cause speeds on the 99 averages about 80-85 when I was in Cali

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Because if I drive 65mph only on a highway on flat terrain I can get over my estimated mpg as well.

I should have clarified. I’ve yet to see a long trip average of a 3.92 though the mountains including highway and town miles.

oh changing the rules as you go

nothing will ever please you will it?

petersandler

Reaction score
I actually sold my tow vehicle a while back, and I am currently looking at 3500 SRW to replace it.
I will admit however, I do like the current generation interiors of the 1500s vs the so called “ 5 gen HD “ interior. You can’t put a frikin telescoping steering wheel in the HDs … awful.
That's surprising. I'm surprised that the telescoping wheel in the 1500 Limited is manual adjustment and not motorized.

petersandler

Reaction score
Like you, @Ramroo believed that screen showed something it didn't. Unlike you, he had no problem admitting he was wrong. That post was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of it.

It's incredible how good you are at completely missing the point over and over again.

Like you, @Ramroo believed that screen showed something it didn't. Unlike you, he had no problem admitting he was wrong. That post was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of it.

But thanks for making the comments about Porsches and 2500s. Says more than I ever could...
Again, you clearly can't read. I most definitely clarified my comment that it wasn't "life of vehicle" but from last driver reset, but that I took the OP's word as being accurate. Or the comment I posted that gear ratio DIDN'T have ANY significant effect on mileage on "city" driving compared to other factors (driver's right foot) which actually backed up your position and yet you still said I was "wrong". Normally when you engage in debate, you back up your comments with some evidence. Should I count the number of times you've claimed someone was wrong and never backed up the statement? Or the number of times you've told them to go get a real truck? If that's your sense of humor, it doesn't come through online.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Again, you clearly can't read. I most definitely clarified my comment that it wasn't "life of vehicle" but from last driver reset, but that I took the OP's word as being accurate.
mother-of-god.gif

What do you think "OP's word" was? You kept trying to argue that it represented something it didn't even after the dude said it was like 250 miles... :LOL:

FFS.

Or the comment I posted that gear ratio DIDN'T have ANY significant effect on mileage on "city" driving compared to other factors (driver's right foot) which actually backed up your position and yet you still said I was "wrong".
That's not the part I said was wrong. I even isolated the part that was wrong. Twice.

Here you go. Again.

Actually, the math and science are pretty much indisputable that 3.21's get better highway mileage.

Your own post showed that this statement is BS. Did you read what you posted?

Normally when you engage in debate, you back up your comments with some evidence. Should I count the number of times you've claimed someone was wrong and never backed up the statement? Or the number of times you've told them to go get a real truck?
Oh, I have. I even posted several snapshots to prove my point. If you missed the point, that's your problem. Still not a good reason for you to be a ******* about it.
If that's your sense of humor, it doesn't come through online.
I'm not sure you have a sense of humor.

But anyway, welcome to the internet.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, since it was last reset. I’ll take the OP at their word about what it represents. It’s fairly realistic considering a certain other poster won’t give any details about the trip (which is obviously a major downhill drive) for achieving 37mpg trailering.
It's not even from last reset. It's an average over a set number of miles. Not sure what the number of miles is, I would have to research that, but it is definitely not a "lifetime" or "since last reset" number.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If SB ever shows this screen with better mpg over a distance greater than 400 miles. I’ll concede, even if it was 23.5mpg before I spent a day in Nashville traffic.

f727a27ee8c55b1e5801e503c3f4d4be.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If SB ever shows this screen with better mpg over a distance greater than 400 miles. I’ll concede, even if it was 23.5mpg before I spent a day in Nashville traffic.

f727a27ee8c55b1e5801e503c3f4d4be.jpg

If I ever have a reason to drive my truck more than 400 miles with nothing in it and nothing behind it, you'll be the first to know.

petersandler

Reaction score
It's not even from last reset. It's an average over a set number of miles. Not sure what the number of miles is, I would have to research that, but it is definitely not a "lifetime" or "since last reset" number.
The multifunction display is near identical to a 2018 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel we had. The Grand Cherokee forums indicate it's the last 9999 miles if not reset.

hemigas

Reaction score
I bought a new 21 1500 Laramie, 3.92, 4x4, OFG, Hemi e torque, short bed, and I bought (Ordered and received) a new 22 1500 Longhorn, 3.21, 4x4, OFG, NON e torque, long bed, topper.
Both trucks are stock with the exact same size wheels and tires. Both trucks have been driven the same, pulled the same (occasional very light up to approximately 5000 lbs.), with the exception that the 3.92 truck I gave to my son and he has that truck in Alaska in the Army for the last 7 months. Most of the mileage on the 3.92, and all of the mileage on the 3.21 was from me.
I have 3 pictures. One showing the life mileage of the 3.92. One showing the last 2655.4 miles that was all my son driving, showing just a tenth of a difference in total mileage. And one showing the life mileage of the 3.21 truck.

3.21 showing 3.2 mpg better.
Thank you for your honest assessment.

Users who are viewing this thread