5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285/60R20 on stock suspension + stock wheels 20x9

lawlavigne

Reaction score
I was not totally sure whether these tires would truly fit and function nicely on my stock suspension 19’ Big Horn Black Appearance Package. I read lots of posts on this forum but many seem to include tires of larger size coinciding with a level kit, full suspension lift, Ram Rebel, or air ride. Any of those can lend a great help to achieve proper ride heights for a larger A/T tire.

Today I pulled the trigger and had installed 285/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock 20x9 wheels. These have completely changed the looks of my Black Appearance package Ram, in a very good way.

View attachment 26342

View attachment 26334 View attachment 26335 View attachment 26336 View attachment 26337 View attachment 26338

I do have a slight tire contact with my fender flare plastic during “FULL” lock while in reverse. However, this is trivial and the contact sounds like a baseball card placed in the spokes of a bike, turning at low speeds. LoL. Eventually I will get a level kit, but for now I’m not in a hurry.

Also, my speedo was reading at 71 on the highway while my GPS was clocking me at 73/74 (fluctuation). So a 2-3 mph difference. I plan to get the Rough Country calibration unit to sync my speedo and tire rotations.

Thanks all!!
Glad I ran across your post. I've been trying to decide between 285/60r20 and 285/65r20. Same tire. Definitely think I'm going with the 285/60's. I have the Bilstein' installed on the front so I shouldn't have any rubbing at all

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was not totally sure whether these tires would truly fit and function nicely on my stock suspension 19’ Big Horn Black Appearance Package. I read lots of posts on this forum but many seem to include tires of larger size coinciding with a level kit, full suspension lift, Ram Rebel, or air ride. Any of those can lend a great help to achieve proper ride heights for a larger A/T tire.

Today I pulled the trigger and had installed 285/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock 20x9 wheels. These have completely changed the looks of my Black Appearance package Ram, in a very good way.

View attachment 26342

View attachment 26334 View attachment 26335 View attachment 26336 View attachment 26337 View attachment 26338

I do have a slight tire contact with my fender flare plastic during “FULL” lock while in reverse. However, this is trivial and the contact sounds like a baseball card placed in the spokes of a bike, turning at low speeds. LoL. Eventually I will get a level kit, but for now I’m not in a hurry.

Also, my speedo was reading at 71 on the highway while my GPS was clocking me at 73/74 (fluctuation). So a 2-3 mph difference. I plan to get the Rough Country calibration unit to sync my speedo and tire rotations.

Thanks all!!
They look great!

I wonder if they ORP would clear without any rub?

BlckDT

Reaction score
Glad I ran across your post. I've been trying to decide between 285/60r20 and 285/65r20. Same tire. Definitely think I'm going with the 285/60's. I have the Bilstein' installed on the front so I shouldn't have any rubbing at all

Awesome. I have my front set of Bilstein sitting in the garage awaiting me to schedule the install date. How’s the ride after installing? I am all for leveling but would hate to feel a reduced ride.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Awesome. I have my front set of Bilstein sitting in the garage awaiting me to schedule the install date. How’s the ride after installing? I am all for leveling but would hate to feel a reduced ride.
It's actually much tighter now and allows you to feel the road a bit more so to speak but not in a bad way. Doesn't ruin the ride quality, makes it better in my opinion. Less lofted bounce feeling on bumps. I feel more in control now. I went with the 5 setting. Seemed to put me at almost 2". Leaving me with the rear up only a 1/4" now. Which is perfect for me because I feel it I would have went higher it would look nose high.

Attachments

• IMG_20200219_132304176_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200219_132304176_HDR.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 586

BlckDT

Reaction score
It's actually much tighter now and allows you to feel the road a bit more so to speak but not in a bad way. Doesn't ruin the ride quality, makes it better in my opinion. Less lofted bounce feeling on bumps. I feel more in control now. I went with the 5 setting. Seemed to put me at almost 2". Leaving me with the rear up only a 1/4" now. Which is perfect for me because I feel it I would have went higher it would look nose high.

Nice. Looks great. Thanks for the settings tip.

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score

View attachment 26342

Thanks all!!
Looks good, looking at same size in a Goodyear Duratrac

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score

View attachment 26342

Thanks all!!
Looks great, big difference from stock

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Got the Nittos installed this morning. I like them so far. The guy at Discount Tire showed me a slight rub in the front against a plastic piece of the wheel liner. But it's only in reverse and only during a full lock turn. I could trim the plastic a bit, but I'll probably just leave it alone.

A little more road noise than the street tires, but that's to be expected with AT tires. And the increased noise is really only noticeable at highway speeds of 65 and up. The ride is just as comfortable, if not maybe a little better than the street tires, and the Nittos track and handle very well. Plus, they look good. I'm pleased with them.
Sorry to bump an old thread.
Do you believe the 285/60r20 would work with gatorback mudflaps?
Interested as i also have air ride.

JDTruck

Reaction score
Hoping for a little help. Our daughter’s stock 2019 1500 Big Horn (black trim & wheels) without air ride or lift and 20” wheels, is in need of new tires. I’m hoping to go a little bigger without any rubbing issues. Looks like from what I’m reading is a 285/55/20 would do the trick. Any photos or confirmation on this would be very helpful. Want to pull the trigger on some Nitto Ridge Grappler’s asap. Thanks!

Oh… She also has the OEM mud holders… I mean mud guards! Lol!

Last edited:

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Hoping for a little help. Our daughter’s stock 2019 1500 Big Horn (black trim & wheels) without air ride or lift and 20” wheels, is in need of new tires. I’m hoping to go a little bigger without any rubbing issues. Looks like from what I’m reading is a 285/55/20 would do the trick. Any photos or confirmation on this would be very helpful. Want to pull the trigger on some Nitto Ridge Grappler’s asap. Thanks!

Oh… She also has the OEM mud holders… I mean mud guards! Lol!
You won’t have any issues with that size.

Users who are viewing this thread