5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285/60R20 on stock suspension + stock wheels 20x9

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Yes. The 285/60s are about an inch taller than the 285/55s. Hope I don’t have any issues.
Yeah these were slightly taller and wider than the falkens and I was worried about a small rub. Even the tire guy called and said they would rub, so I was like great. But he was wrong thank God!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Nittos installed this morning. I like them so far. The guy at Discount Tire showed me a slight rub in the front against a plastic piece of the wheel liner. But it's only in reverse and only during a full lock turn. I could trim the plastic a bit, but I'll probably just leave it alone.

A little more road noise than the street tires, but that's to be expected with AT tires. And the increased noise is really only noticeable at highway speeds of 65 and up. The ride is just as comfortable, if not maybe a little better than the street tires, and the Nittos track and handle very well. Plus, they look good. I'm pleased with them.

Attachments

• Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 7.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 952
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler 8.jpg
    Nitto Ridge Grappler 8.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 966

Kratz87

Reaction score
Got the Nittos installed this morning. I like them so far. The guy at Discount Tire showed me a slight rub in the front against a plastic piece of the wheel liner. But it's only in reverse and only during a full lock turn. I could trim the plastic a bit, but I'll probably just leave it alone.

A little more road noise than the street tires, but that's to be expected with AT tires. And the increased noise is really only noticeable at highway speeds of 65 and up. The ride is just as comfortable, if not maybe a little better than the street tires, and the Nittos track and handle very well. Plus, they look good. I'm pleased with them.
I cannot tell from the image, are these on the stock RAM wheels? Or did you trade them out as well?

toxicfusion

Reaction score
I'm looking to do same tire size on my 2019 Laramie, non off-road. However, have 3.21 gears (realized this at signing) otherwise truck has every other feature/package I wanted. Question if I should of purchased a rebel...

Which gear ratio you have with that setup? Looking to do same with mine 20x9 +18 or -14 offset, which ever will clear without a lift (Will do later). Much rather run 18" wheel, but not sure if will clear brake calipers. With 3.21 I'm worried that large of tire and gearing be too low, and will feel the performance loss?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to do same tire size on my 2019 Laramie, non off-road. However, have 3.21 gears (realized this at signing) otherwise truck has every other feature/package I wanted. Question if I should of purchased a rebel...

Which gear ratio you have with that setup? Looking to do same with mine 20x9 +18 or -14 offset, which ever will clear without a lift (Will do later). Much rather run 18" wheel, but not sure if will clear brake calipers. With 3.21 I'm worried that large of tire and gearing be too low, and will feel the performance loss?
Toxicfusion - I'm assuming your post was addressed to me? If so, I have 3.21 gears. I've not felt any performance loss. But I do have the Pulsar and I run it in Performance Mode. : ) I have noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage. Getting about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile less per gallon.

toxicfusion

Reaction score
Toxicfusion - I'm assuming your post was addressed to me? If so, I have 3.21 gears. I've not felt any performance loss. But I do have the Pulsar and I run it in Performance Mode. : ) I have noticed a slight decrease in gas mileage. Getting about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile less per gallon.

Was addressed to you, sorry for not clarifying! Just joined the forums :).

Originally was thinking about doing 295/60/r20 but the 285/60/r20 is not much difference, slightly skinnier and less tall. Pulsar drop-in module is on my radar of things to purchase as well. Perhaps run tow/performance mode with 89 octane. Are you running 91oct all the time in perf. mode?

I guess I'm just getting caught up and emotional on being stuck with 3.21 gearing; as was an oversight on my behalf. Didnt realize with the 3.21 in the ram truck and bigger tire combo could have such negative effect on this engine/gearing combo.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was addressed to you, sorry for not clarifying! Just joined the forums :).

Originally was thinking about doing 295/60/r20 but the 285/60/r20 is not much difference, slightly skinnier and less tall. Pulsar drop-in module is on my radar of things to purchase as well. Perhaps run tow/performance mode with 89 octane. Are you running 91oct all the time in perf. mode?

I guess I'm just getting caught up and emotional on being stuck with 3.21 gearing; as was an oversight on my behalf. Didnt realize with the 3.21 in the ram truck and bigger tire combo could have such negative effect on this engine/gearing combo.
We have 93 octane here in Central Texas so that's what I run. I never really thought about slightly bigger tires having a negative effect on performance. But that makes sense I guess. More unsprung weight with the bigger, heavier tires. But again, I don't really notice it performance wise.

Welcome to the forum.

Maga

Reaction score
I was not totally sure whether these tires would truly fit and function nicely on my stock suspension 19’ Big Horn Black Appearance Package. I read lots of posts on this forum but many seem to include tires of larger size coinciding with a level kit, full suspension lift, Ram Rebel, or air ride. Any of those can lend a great help to achieve proper ride heights for a larger A/T tire.

Today I pulled the trigger and had installed 285/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock 20x9 wheels. These have completely changed the looks of my Black Appearance package Ram, in a very good way.

View attachment 26342

View attachment 26334 View attachment 26335 View attachment 26336 View attachment 26337 View attachment 26338

I do have a slight tire contact with my fender flare plastic during “FULL” lock while in reverse. However, this is trivial and the contact sounds like a baseball card placed in the spokes of a bike, turning at low speeds. LoL. Eventually I will get a level kit, but for now I’m not in a hurry.

Also, my speedo was reading at 71 on the highway while my GPS was clocking me at 73/74 (fluctuation). So a 2-3 mph difference. I plan to get the Rough Country calibration unit to sync my speedo and tire rotations.

Thanks all!!
Looks Great !!! My 285/60/20's go on Saturday with the black lug nuts , of course ! Found the Toyo RT's on Amazon for $248.78 each

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Does your car come with ORG? and no level kit? Sorry to ask because i'm want to go the same route like you.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your car come with ORG? and no level kit? Sorry to ask because i'm want to go the same route like you.
Hi, ghidora. My truck does not have the off road group and it is neither leveled or lifted. Hope this helps you.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, so based on that and mine came with ORG so it shouldn't rub then.
I think you'll be fine. I get a slight rub but only when full turns with the steering locked either to the right or left and it's mostly when in reverse. But with the ORG, you should be fine because I think your truck sits a little higher than mine. You'll like the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for that info, makes me sure I can go with either 295/50/R20 or 305/55R20’s

Go with the 305/55, I went with the aggressive sport cooper zeon ltz since I do almost no off roading except for hauling boat to cottage.

20190812_110235.jpg 20190812_154900.jpg

Inle54

Reaction score
I just mad the switch from Ford to Ram. I just received my ordered 2020 Larime with every option available. For this thread the most important feature are the off road group with air ride option. I think those tires are amazing, and interested in purchasing the same ones/size, but have a question. My last truck, (F150) had 305/55R20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. On a positive note, they were quite on the highway and when I towed my travel 5,500 travel trailer they performed fine. My issue is that they were a 10ply tire and the ride quality significantly changed in the winters and bad road conditions.

I live up in the Northeast, so the roads are beat up here. I'm interested in your feedback on how the ride feels over chatter bumps, frost heaves etc., and how those tires run in the snow?

Thank you

I was not totally sure whether these tires would truly fit and function nicely on my stock suspension 19’ Big Horn Black Appearance Package. I read lots of posts on this forum but many seem to include tires of larger size coinciding with a level kit, full suspension lift, Ram Rebel, or air ride. Any of those can lend a great help to achieve proper ride heights for a larger A/T tire.

Today I pulled the trigger and had installed 285/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my stock 20x9 wheels. These have completely changed the looks of my Black Appearance package Ram, in a very good way.

View attachment 26342

View attachment 26334 View attachment 26335 View attachment 26336 View attachment 26337 View attachment 26338

I do have a slight tire contact with my fender flare plastic during “FULL” lock while in reverse. However, this is trivial and the contact sounds like a baseball card placed in the spokes of a bike, turning at low speeds. LoL. Eventually I will get a level kit, but for now I’m not in a hurry.

Also, my speedo was reading at 71 on the highway while my GPS was clocking me at 73/74 (fluctuation). So a 2-3 mph difference. I plan to get the Rough Country calibration unit to sync my speedo and tire rotations.

Thanks all!!

Users who are viewing this thread