5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 Limited .no wheel locks?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They must not live in West O. then. 😆

.... it's a joke. Nothing bad is ever supposed to happen in West Omaha.
He actually livs in NW Omaha. But his car was at Baxter off 180th when it happened.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its not all about looks all the time sometimes function > form especially as a deterrent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Some of us care about looks just as much as function.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He actually livs in NW Omaha. But his car was at Baxter off 180th when it happened.
It's not really any surprise.

I used to live on 74th ave for 10 years, just one block north of the former Crossroads Mall.
As I was installing a glass-break sensor for my security system on my back door, a *person came running through my yard and jumped the back fence and dropped his jacket.
I ran and grabbed his jacket and looked in it and found some CDs (this is back in 2004), then I was approached by some cops that were chasing after the thief from the mall.

* I can't be more descriptive without coming across as, well, insensitive.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then lock it or hide it somewhere else where you’re comfortable with.

Again a thief usually goes for something quick and easy. Now you think they’re going to break the window then pull the glovebox apart to grab the lock then steal your wheels.. thats a lot of time. Not saying everyone wouldn’t do it but increases the chance of getting seen or spooked.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thats cool then stick with Mcgards or the other options

I don't use wheel locks because even the "normal" ones look out of place. The ones linked above didn't actually look bad

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Then lock it or hide it somewhere else where you’re comfortable with.

Again a thief usually goes for something quick and easy. Now you think they’re going to break the window then pull the glovebox apart to grab the lock then steal your wheels.. thats a lot of time. Not saying everyone wouldn’t do it but increases the chance of getting seen or spooked.
Smashing a window and opening a glovebox takes a lot of time?
You must of never seen any videos of these criminals doing stuff like this. It takes 5 seconds and a single hit to smash a window and reach your arm in to open the door. Same thing with a glovebox.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is terrible advise.
The glovebox is the first place to look for the lug lock socket.
May as well just leave it in your center console cup holder.
People steeling wheels usually aren't concerned with trying to find the wheel lock. They already have ways to remove them that are just as quick.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Smashing a window and opening a glovebox takes a lot of time?
You must of never seen any videos of these criminals doing stuff like this. It takes 5 seconds and a single hit to smash a window and reach your arm in to open the door. Same thing with a glovebox.

Drawing more and more attention to themselves If they’re doing that they looking to be in and out a quick snatch and grab. Then another however long it takes to screw with the glovebox lock and retrieve the lock. Then more time to get the wheels off.

You can find flaws in anything if your thats what your trying to do. Its up to you or whoever to make their own decision.. run wheel locks, don’t run wheel locks, hide the key in the glovebox or somewhere else, lose the key and not have a spare, curse wheels locks forever because of your own stupidity, hate them because of a idiot tech, risk someone taking your wheels and dealing with insurance..

Point is make your decision…

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People steeling wheels usually aren't concerned with trying to find the wheel lock. They already have ways to remove them that are just as quick.

Thats one reason I linked the advance wheel locks ones. Not saying they cant be defeated but typically locks can be as you know with a universal key or oversized socket/hammer/impact.

I used Mcgards and Gorilla is the past. Mcgards has held up better then the Gorillas. Yes the color will eventually take a beaten especially from techs and their must use a impact for everything mentality and just using a standard socket to remove lug nuts instead of the ones available with the sleeve. No coating is 100% but replacement lug nuts are cheap so if you have to swap a few years down the road so be it or go the red lug nut cover route if thats your cup of tea. As they say to each his own.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thats one reason I linked the advance wheel locks ones. Not saying they cant be defeated but typically locks can be as you know with a universal key or oversized socket/hammer/impact.

I used Mcgards and Gorilla is the past. Mcgards has held up better then the Gorillas. Yes the color will eventually take a beaten especially from techs and their must use a impact for everything mentality and just using a standard socket to remove lug nuts instead of the ones available with the sleeve. No coating is 100% but replacement lug nuts are cheap so if you have to swap a few years down the road so be it or go the red lug nut cover route if thats your cup of tea. As they say to each his own.
I've tried finding a 22mm socket with the plastic sleeve inside and I must not be using the right search words. All I could find were ones with plastic on outside to protect the wheels

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the color will eventually take a beaten especially from techs and their must use a impact for everything mentality and just using a standard socket to remove lug nuts instead of the ones available with the sleeve
I resent this. 🤣

We have a couple of customers that request hand tools only on their lugs. That is what they get. In this industry and the way they pay, time is everything.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I resent this.

We have a couple of customers that request hand tools only on their lugs. That is what they get. In this industry and the way they pay, time is everything.

Lmao oh I know I use to work at a dealer years ago lol. Time = money and most customers didn’t wanna pay for the additional time so they got a impact most of the time. You have a couple customers that you can tell cared which didn’t mind the little additional cost I can relate to those group of people.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lmao oh I know I use to work at a dealer years ago lol. Time = money and most customers didn’t wanna pay for the additional time so they got a impact most of the time. You have a couple customers that you can tell cared which didn’t mind the little additional cost I can relate to those group of people.

The thought at paying more for the job to be done right?
Why should someone pay more to have hand tools used when that is what the job requires?

I have the proper sockets and torsion bars which I check occasionally so my impact wrench shouldn't cause and damage and be accurate enough to torque spec.
Just using impacts without setting torque spec manually is not the proper way to do the job and will likely mar the wheel unless proper care is taken (which is unlikely from the sounds of it)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thought at paying more for the job to be done right?
Why should someone pay more to have hand tools used when that is what the job requires?

I have the proper sockets and torsion bars which I check occasionally so my impact wrench shouldn't cause and damage and be accurate enough to torque spec.
Just using impacts without setting torque spec manually is not the proper way to do the job and will likely mar the wheel unless proper care is taken (which is unlikely from the sounds of it)
What who said anything about paying more? Time=money is that if a job pays .5hr and it takes you 1.0hr you only are paid .5hr.

Users who are viewing this thread