5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First dealership I went to told me it was a "3 year wait for corrosion repairs unless you bought it from them" the other one said "looks like rock chips, what do you want us to do about it?"
Ramcares, FCA customer service is the face of Ram weather they outsource it or not it is "Ram" the company.

My communication with FCA customer service has been phone tag at best, and at worst saying the dealership looked at it and yeah the paint is coming off but we don't cover paint problems.

You keep saying stuff about your dealership that I don't see at any I have ever been to so either you work at the #1 service department in the country or something else is afoot...
If you say so.... it is tough to be the standard of customer service. We are in the people business, we strive everyday to give the customer the best experience possible. Nobody in this industry is perfect. It's difficult convincing some people that just because some rando on the internet said it was the battery in the radio and then trying to fix that mess.

Door dings happen, misdiagnosis happens, pissed off customers happen(I have many stories) some rightly so and others not so much. It's all in how it's handled, we have great leaders that can handle it.
First dealership I went to told me it was a "3 year wait for corrosion repairs unless you bought it from them" the other one said "looks like rock chips, what do you want us to do about it?"
Ramcares, FCA customer service is the face of Ram weather they outsource it or not it is "Ram" the company.

My communication with FCA customer service has been phone tag at best, and at worst saying the dealership looked at it and yeah the paint is coming off but we don't cover paint problems.

You keep saying stuff about your dealership that I don't see at any I have ever been to so either you work at the #1 service department in the country or something else is afoot...
It is tough being the standard of customer service, great experiences every person, every day.

The hardest part is trying to convince the people "who read it on the internet" that there isn't a battery in the radio.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
These painted steel bumpers are unacceptable in the paint department even a bugstrike can chip the paint. My 2022 ram with less than 4000 miles had a chip on the front bumper and the driver's door handle I touched up. Makes me even think the car wash can take off the paint on the front bumper. So I went to the used car lot and Ford, GMC and Chevy all have these issues. Cheap prep/primer and paint adhesion. Try touching up 200 spots with touchup paint will look ridiculous. My two 1997 eclipse's and 97 saturn still have factory paint and no chips.
20230320_085220.jpg 20230320_085201.jpg 20230320_085034.jpg 20230320_084852.jpg 20230320_084928.jpg 20230523_031517.png 20230320_084905.jpg 20230320_084835.jpg 20230404_114027.jpg

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I didn't want to go through this and I hate ppf, I think its stupid (my opinion) and will cause delamination long-term with the paint... I'm old school so I still buff and wax my vehicles. Two months later my part came in... a little expensive but oh well, I can always remove it if I decide too. When it arrived.. it looked like fisher price quality so I took raptor bed liner to it and wired up a switch for the lights near the dash rather than tap into existing wiring due to the can bus network.... hopefully this will help with the rock chips over the entire bumper. 20230516_121544.jpg

20230213_065124.png Screenshot_20220907-162131.png 20230523_034232.png

20230520_162144.jpg 20230520_172654.jpg
20230512_170515.jpg 8 20230520_161845.jpg
20230520_162238.jpg 20230520_162416.jpg

Littlejoe81

Reaction score

Took almost two months to get it, a little expensive though, then I sprayed it with bedliner and ran my own switch and wires rather than tap into the drl's. I thought about raptor lining my front bumper but I chose this route and ran my wires through conduit and tapped into F65 under steering wheel (add a circuit) when acc is on... for the lights rather then have them on with drl's as the company designed it to work. Really didn't care for the lights but I decided to wire them up anyway, took me a little bit to figure it out but once I figured it out I ran most of the wiring though conduit and secured everything with zipties to make it look like a factory install. 20230520_163234.jpg

20230520_163259.jpg 20230518_162749.jpg 20230519_133353.jpg 20230518_162748.jpg 20230518_162730.jpg 20230516_113847.jpg 20230520_163239.jpg 20230520_162144.jpg

Attachments

• 20230520_163316.jpg
    20230520_163316.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 6

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is reinforcing my decision to stick with 'chrome' bumpers. I am old school I guess as I like chrome on a truck (especially with silver) but also don't have any issues with paint chipping. Hopefully they fix this - how do the painted bumpers on the Fords and chevy's fair comparatively?

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
This thread is reinforcing my decision to stick with 'chrome' bumpers. I am old school I guess as I like chrome on a truck (especially with silver) but also don't have any issues with paint chipping. Hopefully they fix this - how do the painted bumpers on the Fords and chevy's fair comparatively?
All the same with ford and chevy in the used car parking lot. I don't think chrome has these issues.. only thing with chrome if you see brown spots small specs or brown streaks like with work vans clean it up bc its surface rust and surface rust turn to rust but hopefully chrome is still chrome like the 90' for bumpers and stays looking good for a long time... this is what I use for surface rust made back in the 80's wipes right off. Always looking for this on ebay, one of the best products made by turtlewax for oxidation now discontinued.

16848541607501484268866.jpg

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I really like chrome too, didn't know of the paint issues when I ordered the truck... check this member out... this is why chrome is so cool. Screenshot_20230523-235313.png

Nels

Reaction score
Paint chips on painted front bumper? Of course I have those. But I'm more concerned about the paint peel on a fender flare. Started dime-sized for about a year. Over the past year it's turned to this. Peels more daily now.

Attachments

• 20220515_090607.jpg
    20220515_090607.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 63

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Paint chips on painted front bumper? Of course I have those. But I'm more concerned about the paint peel on a fender flare. Started dime-sized for about a year. Over the past year it's turned to this. Peels more daily now.
Man that's crazy, now I know I'm not the only one who knows there are issues in the paint department and Ram should warranty their issues instead of blaming customers rock chips, normal wear and tear and oh.... the customer is washing it wrong.. ... ex. I'm 60 now so your telling me I don't know how to wash my car.... I have 5 more vehicles, 2 classics in pristine condition. Ram Cares... the problem is not me... its your paint quality!! Sorry for the rant but it is unfair for what people pay for a vehicle nowadays, I paid for a T-bone steak not a cheeseburger.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn't want to go through this and I hate ppf, I think its stupid (my opinion) and will cause delamination long-term with the paint... I'm old school so I still buff and wax my vehicles. Two months later my part came in... a little expensive but oh well, I can always remove it if I decide too. When it arrived.. it looked like fisher price quality so I took raptor bed liner to it and wired up a switch for the lights near the dash rather than tap into existing wiring due to the can bus network.... hopefully this will help with the rock chips over the entire bumper.
PPF doesn't cause paint delamination, poor prep work causes paint delamination.

BowDown

Reaction score

I've had PPF on my truck all but its 1st 300 miles, still looks new and when it gets beat up, I'll replace it with new PPF and the bumper will still look brand new

BowDown

Reaction score

That's been repainted. Did you buy the truck new?

BowDown

Reaction score
Man that's crazy, now I know I'm not the only one who knows there are issues in the paint department and Ram should warranty their issues instead of blaming customers rock chips, normal wear and tear and oh.... the customer is washing it wrong.. ... ex. I'm 60 now so your telling me I don't know how to wash my car.... I have 5 more vehicles, 2 classics in pristine condition you telephone person
....outsourced working from home Ram Cares... the problem is not me... its your paint quality!! Sorry for the rant but it is unfair for what people pay for a vehicle nowadays, I paid for a T-bone steak not a cheeseburger.

It is paint chips and normal wear. I painted cars all through college for Ted Prohaska auto refinishers, cars had the same paint chips then. The difference between then and now are:
  1. Traffic density
  2. Non flex bumpers that don't absorb some of the impact
  3. No flex agents in paint because of number 2
  4. EPA mandated waterborne paint although I'm not sure how much a role that plays
Most automakers get their paint from the same source, PPG. Some europeans still use Glasurit. The only difference may be in the application layers

RamCares

Reaction score
One month after getting my 2022 Ram I easily had 10+ paint chips on the bumper, grill and hood. Now May 2023, I have more than 50 paint chips and the paint is peeling and chipping off. The dealership said it was rock chips and from tailgating, but my 2019 black ram had maybe 5 paint chips after 3 years. My 2022 is graphite gray and there is definitely a paint issue. Is there anything I can do? It is getting worse and worse.
Hey there,

We'd love to look into this for you. If anyone is experiencing paint chipping on their newer Rams please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Littlejoe81

Reaction score

Ram cares have replied; hopes this helps someone with paint issues or having Ram fix the defects with paint quality.

Hey there,

We'd love to look into this for you. If anyone is experiencing paint chipping on their newer Rams please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Nels

Reaction score
That's been repainted. Did you buy the truck new?
I did not buy it new. I bought it Certified feom a Ram dealer when it was a year old. It could have been repainted, but no accidents on record for the truck.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Has RamCares actually ever resolved an issue or simply open a Case?
Having RamCares participating on the board seems more like a taunt then anything helpful.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has RamCares actually ever resolved an issue or simply open a Case?
Having RamCares participating on the board seems more like a taunt then anything helpful.
They only open the case. Different team that makes us spin our wheels going nowhere. My last case manager quit her job last week LOL (she told me the day before so I knew)

Users who are viewing this thread