5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do not expect miracles from the paint but the point for me is that the painted bumpers seem to chip overly easy. I have NEVER had a vehicle (truck or otherwise) that seems to allow chips as easily as this one. I think part of the problem is the steel bumper under the paint since the plastic parts do not seem so prone to chipping as my chips are only confined to the painted metal parts.

I would be curious to hear from owners of Rebels with the powder coat looking/textures paint to see how that is holding up. It seems like it would be tougher.

Painted plastic parts can absorb so of the kinetic energy from a rock by flexing on impact. A steel bumper isn't going to absorb any energy from a rock so the paint gets knocked off. Powder coating is far stronger and would stand up to rock strikes better but would still chip with enough energy and a large enough stone. I've seen powder coated wheels with rock chips

ws6guy

Reaction score
My truck as 35k miles and the bumper is still in pretty good shape. I'm actually surprised how good it still looks. It has about 4 or so good sized chips and several smaller barely noticeable ones. I just used some Dr. Color Chip and from a couple feet away you'd never know it had and chips.

Now I'm deciding if I'm going to PPF the bumper. Prices for PPF near me is $500 - $700. Anyone have experience with the cost of repainting a chipped bumper? It's about the same as the PPF I might just touch up the paint every year and if it gets bad enough have it repainted.

Also thinking about DIY PPF. I did the rockers on my previous truck but those are easy. The bumper would a lot harder but there are precut kits online from around $200 - $350. At $200 i'm tempted to try it but at $350 might as well have a pro do it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does not make sense. If a truck in front of you drops a rock, you will hit it at the speed you're traveling, maybe less at it still has forward momentum.
This horse has been beaten to death already, but it seems like you still don't understand. A rock truck is traveling 70 mph heading east. You are traveling 70 mph heading west. A rock falls off the rock truck just before he passes you (in the opposite direction). That rock would be traveling approximately 140 mph relative to your speed because the speeds combine when you're traveling in the opposite direction. make sense?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This horse has been beaten to death already, but it seems like you still don't understand. A rock truck is traveling 70 mph heading east. You are traveling 70 mph heading west. A rock falls off the rock truck just before he passes you (in the opposite direction). That rock would be traveling approximately 140 mph relative to your speed because the speeds combine when you're traveling in the opposite direction. make sense?
You're both talking about a rock truck in front, but traveling opposite directions.

soljrgriffin

Reaction score
Ram cares have replied; hopes this helps someone with paint issues or having Ram fix the defects with paint quality.

Hey there,

We'd love to look into this for you. If anyone is experiencing paint chipping on their newer Rams please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares
I am experiencing paint chipping on my 2021 Ram Bighorn every since I bought it brand new. I have received the same treatment from the dealership as these people in this forum have been treated. This is not right!

RamCares

Reaction score
I am experiencing paint chipping on my 2021 Ram Bighorn every since I bought it brand new. I have received the same treatment from the dealership as these people in this forum have been treated. This is not right!

This certainly isn't the experience we want for you! Please send our team a private message with mor details on this situation, we'd like to provide support.

Kate
Ram Cares

6of36

Reaction score
This certainly isn't the experience we want for you! Please send our team a private message with mor details on this situation, we'd like to provide support.

Kate
Ram Cares
It happens on every truck with painted bumpers. Nothing is going to be done about it. Why doesn't Ram put urethane coating on colored bumpers?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I own and have owned many cars, and to date I have never owned a vehicle that was sooo prone to chips than my Ram.
I thought Hyundai paint was the worst until owning this thing

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a few but nothing too crazy. I do a lot of hwy miles too. I think it's hit or miss with these just like a few other things on these trucks.

I got the exhaust leak and rear window leak problem. I'd rather have the paint chip problem.

It would be nice not to have any of these problems considering we've been making windows, exhaust manifolds and painting vehicles for years.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
My issue with this is not the inevitability of rock chips on my painted bumper. i fully expected it to happen. But, i wanted to get it protected immediately and was told to wait a month for the factory paint to cure (offgassing). Makes sense, unless oem paint is baked after application, right ?
Should have temporarily ppf'd it before leaving the dealer and parked it in my garage for a month - yeah right, thats not happening.
Currently at the detailers getting PPF and ceramic, and yep, he had to touch up the bumper first !

6of36

Reaction score
My issue with this is not the inevitability of rock chips on my painted bumper. i fully expected it to happen. But, i wanted to get it protected immediately and was told to wait a month for the factory paint to cure (offgassing). Makes sense, unless oem paint is baked after application, right ?
Should have temporarily ppf'd it before leaving the dealer and parked it in my garage for a month - yeah right, thats not happening.
Currently at the detailers getting PPF and ceramic, and yep, he had to touch up the bumper first !
As a former Chrysler tech, who went to the factory training center a few times, we learned there, factory paint, is fully baked in the factory. Any repairs, even in the plant, are not. The original paint is baked at a very high temperature, DOT regulations, say a built car, can only be heated to a limited temperature. There are funny regulations, that you would never dream of. The little diamond shapes, in the inner lenses, and reflectors, are highly regulated. If the vehicle is heated above the maximum allowed temperature, they can deform from the heat. Info straight from engineers.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As a former Chrysler tech, who went to the factory training center a few times, we learned there, factory paint, is fully baked in the factory. Any repairs, even in the plant, are not. The original paint is baked at a very high temperature, DOT regulations, say a built car, can only be heated to a limited temperature. There are funny regulations, that you would never dream of. The little diamond shapes, in the inner lenses, and reflectors, are highly regulated. If the vehicle is heated above the maximum allowed temperature, they can deform from the heat. Info straight from engineers.
Wonder if my original bumper was repainted at the factory that I had to get repainted due to having over 150 rock chips in under a year.
Been a while now and no chips since the repaint (they baked the bumper after painting it)

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Wonder if my original bumper was repainted at the factory that I had to get repainted due to having over 150 rock chips in under a year.
Been a while now and no chips since the repaint (they baked the bumper after painting it)
Interesting. That would certainly seem to indicate the baking matters. Also indicates the factory procedure isnt good enough considering your successful repaint and bake.
I was well on the way to your 150 count with 18 in the first month.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting. That would certainly seem to indicate the baking matters. Also indicates the factory procedure isnt good enough considering your successful repaint and bake.
I was well on the way to your 150 count with 18 in the first month.
I only had chips in my bumper, none of the other trim pieces, or sides of my truck, or hood.
I would expect to see chips elsewhere if the entire truck was done the same way, but nada not a single other chip I could find.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I only had chips in my bumper, none of the other trim pieces, or sides of my truck, or hood.
I would expect to see chips elsewhere if the entire truck was done the same way, but nada not a single other chip I could find.
Maybe the bumper is painted separately and in a different manner. ?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Normally the steel bumpers are made to spec by a third party supplier, and would be painted off site. The is true for all the manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread