5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
My truck gets driven on the road and I have gotten a ton of chips in my bumper only really. The rest of the area is fine, so I think the problem is the paint and the bumper. Interestedly (or maybe not) the primer underneath is fine. They dont look like typical chips, so I dont know what is going on with these. I am probably going to get it painted like a Rebel is with that wrinkle finish/powder coat. Pretty disappointed that it is happening on a year old truck.
Which is why I went my route after seeing Ford, Chevy, GMC trucks all chipped up in the used car lot. Cheap/thin paint. Pretty sad that bugs and washing the car can take paint off the bumper, just noticed a chip on the painted mirror today, lol. ARE THESE REALLY ROCK CHIPS! NO just cheap quality paint on the bumper..

Screenshot_20230818-004321_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230818-004314_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230818-004308_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230818-004300_Chrome.jpg 20230818_004750.jpg

beetlespin

Reaction score
I had a first year Ford Ranger that was doing the same thing. They told me it was from someone weed wacking near my truck that was parked in the garage when not it use. I told them they were wrong and they had an issue with their paint. I got no further with it.

RAL

Reaction score
After reading this whole saga, one takeaway for me is that the manufacturers should probably provide some disclosure to the customers about the vulnerability of painted bumpers to rock chips. As someone who used to professionally detail cars while I was in school the idea of an unprotected painted bumper on a truck inherently seems like a bad idea, but many people would not think of it. And you get the kind of reactions you get here.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After reading this whole saga, one takeaway for me is that the manufacturers should probably provide some disclosure to the customers about the vulnerability of painted bumpers to rock chips. As someone who used to professionally detail cars while I was in school the idea of an unprotected painted bumper on a truck inherently seems like a bad idea, but many people would not think of it. And you get the kind of reactions you get here.

That or buyers should use some common sense but that's asking too much.

Amazes me that people think a jagged rock bouncing down the road should cause little to no damage to a painted steel surface traveling 30-70mph towards the object.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Amazes me that people think a jagged rock bouncing down the road should cause little to no damage to a painted steel surface traveling 30-70mph towards the object.
It could actually be traveling twice that. If you and an opposing vehicle are each traveling at 70 the rock could be hitting upwards of 140 mph.

RAL

Reaction score

I think you are being too harsh, with all respect. I think you are correct in terms of the “physics” so to speak, but if it is not something they have experienced or dealt with before, it is unpleasant to discover. My truck has all chrome in the front because I am a traditionalist but the manufacturer is in the position of offering a style that is, in my opinion, an objectively bad idea (flying a painted glossy barn door into a 65-70mph wind) and some disclosure to the customer (eg “protective film package recommended to prevent chips”) would be better than having a litany of disappointed and well heeled customers who just paid between 50k to 80k on a truck. To me, it’s the same issue as offering leather wrapped dashboards - looks good when new, not likely to age well, and the manufacturer should consider that when offering the product and probably offer some disclosure to the customer (eg, “recommended for garaged cars only.”)

Take care.

BowDown

Reaction score
It could actually be traveling twice that. If you and an opposing vehicle are each traveling at 70 the rock could be hitting upwards of 140 mph.

I didn't want to over complicate the topic with closure rates, some already feel its unreasonable for a rock striking a bumper at 30+ mph to cause damage

6of36

Reaction score
I didn't want to over complicate the topic with closure rates, some already feel its unreasonable for a rock striking a bumper at 30+ mph to cause damage
It's unreasonable to not expect chips. Throw rocks at the side of your truck and see what happens. Why would anyone order painted bumpers? It make it look cheap, like a work truck.

BowDown

Reaction score
I think you are being too harsh, with all respect. I think you are correct in terms of the “physics” so to speak, but if it is not something they have experienced or dealt with before, it is unpleasant to discover. My truck has all chrome in the front because I am a traditionalist but the manufacturer is in the position of offering a style that is, in my opinion, an objectively bad idea (flying a painted glossy barn door into a 65-70mph wind) and some disclosure to the customer (eg “protective film package recommended to prevent chips”) would be better than having a litany of disappointed and well heeled customers who just paid between 50k to 80k on a truck. To me, it’s the same issue as offering leather wrapped dashboards - looks good when new, not likely to age well, and the manufacturer should consider that when offering the product and probably offer some disclosure to the customer (eg, “recommended for garaged cars only.”)

Take care.

I don't, maybe harsh, maybe brash but its also the truth. We've known that rocks cause broken windshield's since the 1st car, its unreasonable to not expect rocks to knock paint off painted surfaces or those surfaces to be able to withstand a rock strike and more than 20-30mph. You cannot baby proof the world, critical thinking has to begin at some point followed by accountability and personal responsibility. That's not occurring here.

6of36

Reaction score
? How can an opposing vehicle throw a rock at you at 70 mph ?
Trucks are known to haul rocks. If one falls off, it's traveling at you, at the same speed the truck is driving.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trucks are known to haul rocks. If one falls off, it's traveling at you, at the same speed the truck is driving.
Does not make sense. If a truck in front of you drops a rock, you will hit it at the speed you're traveling, maybe less at it still has forward momentum.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone is driving toward you at 70mph and you're doing 70mph and they threw a rock at your windshield as you passed each other by, how fast is the rock traveling?

Hint: the person throwing the rock is Roger Clemens.

BowDown

Reaction score
? How can an opposing vehicle throw a rock at you at 70 mph ?

Rock bouncing in the street, rock takes an errant bounce and hits an oncoming car then ricochets to you. Happened to me during covid and broke my windshield; no other cars on the road in front of me aside from oncoming traffic on the other side of a concrete highway divider.

BowDown

Reaction score
Does not make sense. If a truck in front of you drops a rock, you will hit it at the speed you're traveling, maybe less at it still has forward momentum.

Coming from the opposite direction

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many years ago I saw a quip about how painted bumpers are a sure sign of the Bourgeoisie.

Fancy indeed.

That said, yes I definitely intend to get painted bumpers on my next Ram. I just love the look too much, and life is too dang short.

If I’m swinging for the new truck, and Lord knows I’ll waste plenty of money on mods, a bit of PPF is a quite reasonable.

Maybe that makes me a fancy boy.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love my painted bumpers. I do a lot of highway driving but not too many chips. I got a few decent ones though. Nothing I wouldn't expect with all that front end. Also had my windshield replaced already.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not expect miracles from the paint but the point for me is that the painted bumpers seem to chip overly easy. I have NEVER had a vehicle (truck or otherwise) that seems to allow chips as easily as this one. I think part of the problem is the steel bumper under the paint since the plastic parts do not seem so prone to chipping as my chips are only confined to the painted metal parts.

I would be curious to hear from owners of Rebels with the powder coat looking/textures paint to see how that is holding up. It seems like it would be tougher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online