5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling

JH11

Reaction score
One month after getting my 2022 Ram I easily had 10+ paint chips on the bumper, grill and hood. Now May 2023, I have more than 50 paint chips and the paint is peeling and chipping off. The dealership said it was rock chips and from tailgating, but my 2019 black ram had maybe 5 paint chips after 3 years. My 2022 is graphite gray and there is definitely a paint issue. Is there anything I can do? It is getting worse and worse.

Sanders

Reaction score
I touched up 64 “rock chips” on mine with less than 10k miles. Rams paint sucks!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
One month after getting my 2022 Ram I easily had 10+ paint chips on the bumper, grill and hood. Now May 2023, I have more than 50 paint chips and the paint is peeling and chipping off. The dealership said it was rock chips and from tailgating, but my 2019 black ram had maybe 5 paint chips after 3 years. My 2022 is graphite gray and there is definitely a paint issue. Is there anything I can do? It is getting worse and worse.
try a different dealer.

then get a ceramic coating.

and ppf

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought a Dr Colorchip kit and touched up at least 30 chips already on my painted bumper. Noticed today I already have about a dozen more in the last month just on my bumper. The grill and hood are fine.

I do at lot of freeway driving but never tailgate. Seems crazy how the chips keep multiplying. Thought about taking it in to get repainted under warranty but honestly think they wouldn’t even do it. Plus I don’t wanna be without my truck for a few days. It will likely look the same in no time anyway. Just gonna keep touching them up or maybe do a PPF.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I wonder if they changed the painting process or materials used over the years? My 2019 had 1 small nick on the hood (first year) and haven't found one since then.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
PPF will provide the most protection against normal rock chips, and is often self healing if a big enough rock hits it.

I just had the whole front end done on my 22, and there were already half a dozen small chips in the bumper from the previous owner's 1600 miles of ownership. There's a lot of real estate on the front of these trucks to take a beating.

I had it done on my wife's Grand Cherokee the day after we bought it new, and at 62k there's not a single chip on the front end.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Mine has a few chips in bumper, could be the fact it's metal. My 4th gen was plastic and had zero chips

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do at lot of freeway driving but never tailgate. Seems crazy how the chips keep multiplying. Thought about taking it in to get repainted under warranty but honestly think they wouldn’t even do it. Plus I don’t wanna be without my truck for a few days. It will likely look the same in no time anyway. Just gonna keep touching them up or maybe to a PPF.
I have had 2019 and 2020 Ram both with painted bumpers no chips in the bumper paint. My 2022 has about 20 chips in it. They are warrantying my bumper paint. My co worker has a later built 2022 and has no chips in the paint, about 6k more miles than me. Both are Backcountry packaged trucks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 22 has over 150 chips (I counted)

Dealerships refuse to do anything except go back to Mark Dodge the selling dealership (1800 miles away) and Ram says too bad and will not let me talk with a supervisor ever.
Ramcares did nothing except create the original case.
I have call recordings with FCA customer support lying to me on the phone between agents (sometimes back to back).
My current case manager quit working for FCA last Wednesday (wonder why?)

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do it seems.

I have already filled around 30 chips using touchup paint but stopped for the winter.

This is what it looked like in 25 days of ownership (not the best angle picture I know) There were around 15-20 chips or so some being really big.
1684768415213.png

This is the center of my front bumper at 10k miles (I had chips in the first month I bought it). Yes all those white\silver spots are bare metal.
Some of them actually came from under the paint
1684767799161.png
Here are some of the other chips, some bulge out from the inside
1684769369458.jpeg

I might try to do 1 more round of touchup paint but there are just so many and using touchup paint on a vertical surface takes time. I like the way the bumper looks but ill likely be forced to buy a new one, or have this painted with something else that isn't OEM paint out of pocket which will cost a boatload.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put PPF on the week I bought my truck, the bumper still looks new, the hood I didn't put anything on but only a couple very small marks on it after 60,000 miles. And a ceramic coating will not do anything to protect against rock chips.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The ceramic coating is to protect the PPF, which is susceptible to damage and etching from water spots and other contaminants.

You use the PPF to protect the paint, and ceramic coat to protect the PPF.

JH11

Reaction score
I have had 2019 and 2020 Ram both with painted bumpers no chips in the bumper paint. My 2022 has about 20 chips in it. They are warrantying my bumper paint. My co worker has a later built 2022 and has no chips in the paint, about 6k more miles than me. Both are Backcountry packaged trucks.
Thanks for sharing. How did you get it warranted? The dealership told me there’s nothing I can do.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. How did you get it warranted? The dealership told me there’s nothing I can do.
You don't.
He works at the dealership and thus gets special treatment :p

Ramcares told me how much they cared about my "rock chips"

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ceramic coating is to protect the PPF, which is susceptible to damage and etching from water spots and other contaminants.

You use the PPF to protect the paint, and ceramic coat to protect the PPF.
Correct, you can use a synthetic wax on the PPF which is what I use and it has worked well for me.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't.
He works at the dealership and thus gets special treatment :p

Ramcares told me how much they cared about my "rock chips"
Doesn't work like that, we have done 3 others all ready. The dealership has to work for Ram warranty to get it covered.

Just so you know Ramcares... is an outsourced company, all of customer care is outsourced. While I am at it, so is maxcare, an outside company that handles the warranty. When these were owned by FCA/Stellantis the service provided was exceptional, now not so much.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rock chips on a metal painted bumper are inevitable. Most of you guys saying you don't tailgate are still following people too closely... that's the only way you get chips. PPF can also help prevent it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn't work like that, we have done 3 others all ready. The dealership has to work for Ram warranty to get it covered.

Just so you know Ramcares... is an outsourced company, all of customer care is outsourced. While I am at it, so is maxcare, an outside company that handles the warranty. When these were owned by FCA/Stellantis the service provided was exceptional, now not so much.
First dealership I went to told me it was a "3 year wait for corrosion repairs unless you bought it from them" the other one said "looks like rock chips, what do you want us to do about it?"
Ramcares, FCA customer service is the face of Ram weather they outsource it or not it is "Ram" the company.

My communication with FCA customer service has been phone tag at best, and at worst saying the dealership looked at it and yeah the paint is coming off but we don't cover paint problems.

You keep saying stuff about your dealership that I don't see at any I have ever been to so either you work at the #1 service department in the country or something else is afoot...

Dewey

Reaction score
Rock chips on a metal painted bumper are inevitable. Most of you guys saying you don't tailgate are still following people too closely... that's the only way you get chips. PPF can also help prevent it.
I “tailgated” a salt truck one day this winter from at least 100 yards back. Next day I had at least 20 extra chips in my bumper from rock salt bouncing down the road at freeway speed. That’s ridiculous and should not happen so easily. Almost impossible to avoid that scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread