5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500

wirefoxzoo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 with 12,300 miles. It has the 5.7 Hemi. I brought it in to the dealership because I had a ticking noise from the engine that was getting louder. A week goes by they call me and tell me that it needs the camshaft, lifters, and right side cylinder head replaced. I can’t say I’m happy about my truck having major engine repairs already. As of today (7-18-23) my truck has been at the dealer for 21 days. The estimated completion date they gave me for the repair is (7-25-23). So basically I’m without my truck for a month. Anyone else having issues like this with their 5th gen Ram? I’m debating whether or not to keep the truck after this. What do you all think? Thanks!

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my 2022 with 5.7 Hemi, although I am the only owner and have just a little over 14k miles on it. Hopefully this is just a fluke and you have no other problems.

wirefoxzoo

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my 2022 with 5.7 Hemi, although I am the only owner and have just a little over 14k miles on it. Hopefully this is just a fluke and you have no other problems.
I’m the only owner of mine as well. I bought it bran new a year and 11 days ago. I currently have 12,300 miles on mine. I’m hoping it’s just a fluke as well.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 with Hemi also. 13,100 miles. Almost identical to yours. I also had loud valvetrain noise, and lots of rattle upon startup. I've mentioned this before, but what I did with mine is I changed to 5W30 full synthetic oil and I do my own service at home. My rattle upon startup went away immediately and only happens now if the truck hasn't been driven for a week or longer. While running there is zero valvetrain noise now.

I realize some guys are concerned about possible warranty issues, and I get that. But these truck should never be spec'd with 0W20 oil. (And they never were in the past until fuel economy laws got really tight.) I'm a firm believer that the watery oil doesn't lubricate the Hemi engines correctly. The 6.4L in the Ram 2500, which is a cousin of the 5.7, actually uses 40 weight oil. That would probably be even better. But for now I'll use 30 unless I detect an issue still lurks.

wirefoxzoo

Reaction score
I have a 2022 with Hemi also. 13,100 miles. Almost identical to yours. I also had loud valvetrain noise, and lots of rattle upon startup. I've mentioned this before, but what I did with mine is I changed to 5W30 full synthetic oil and I do my own service at home. My rattle upon startup went away immediately and only happens now if the truck hasn't been driven for a week or longer. While running there is zero valvetrain noise now.

I realize some guys are concerned about possible warranty issues, and I get that. But these truck should never be spec'd with 0W20 oil. (And they never were in the past until fuel economy laws got really tight.) I'm a firm believer that the watery oil doesn't lubricate the Hemi engines correctly. The 6.4L in the Ram 2500, which is a cousin of the 5.7, actually uses 40 weight oil. That would probably be even better. But for now I'll use 30 unless I detect an issue still lurks.
I have heard about people running thicker oil in their trucks while I was searching the internet to see if anyone else was having the same issues as me. Mine never would start ticking right on startup but as soon as it would start to idle down as the engine would start warming up it would start ticking. It was so loud sometimes you could hear it in the cab with the windows up. With the windows down you could hear it as good as if you were standing outside next to the truck.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 with 12,300 miles. It has the 5.7 Hemi. I brought it in to the dealership because I had a ticking noise from the engine that was getting louder. A week goes by they call me and tell me that it needs the camshaft, lifters, and right side cylinder head replaced. I can’t say I’m happy about my truck having major engine repairs already. As of today (7-18-23) my truck has been at the dealer for 21 days. The estimated completion date they gave me for the repair is (7-25-23). So basically I’m without my truck for a month. Anyone else having issues like this with their 5th gen Ram? I’m debating whether or not to keep the truck after this. What do you all think? Thanks!
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about this. We want to make sure everything is properly taken care of with your vehicle. Please send us a private message if you would like any additional support alongside the dealer during repairs.

Lex
Ram Cares

wirefoxzoo

Reaction score
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about this. We want to make sure everything is properly taken care of with your vehicle. Please send us a private message if you would like any additional support alongside the dealer during repairs.

Lex
Ram Cares
Sent

Trigger Man

Reaction score
Hello there,

I just purchased my 2023 limited from Faulkner Dodge in Mechanicsburg, PA and i only have 2481 miles to be exact on mine. Last week out of nowhere my engine started ticking and I immediately knew I had a stupid lifter issue on my brand new 70k+ truck. It’s currently at RT 1 Dodge in LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ. I contacted Stellantis and all they’re going to do is notate it so I hope they can give me an all new engine or repair this the right way to the grommet. Im furious. I only had the truck 31 days and now this. My 2nd RAM limited. I contacted Lemon Las also for the record of this. Now I can’t even say I have a new truck. Only said that for 31 days. I will take it right back t the moment o first sound and after 3 times or 30 days, the lemon law lawyers contacted me and we will do everything we need to get out of this truck providing they dont address this issue correctly.

Trigger Man

Reaction score
30 days without = lemon law case

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello there,

I just purchased my 2023 limited from Faulkner Dodge in Mechanicsburg, PA and i only have 2481 miles to be exact on mine. Last week out of nowhere my engine started ticking and I immediately knew I had a stupid lifter issue on my brand new 70k+ truck. It’s currently at RT 1 Dodge in LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ. I contacted Stellantis and all they’re going to do is notate it so I hope they can give me an all new engine or repair this the right way to the grommet. Im furious. I only had the truck 31 days and now this. My 2nd RAM limited. I contacted Lemon Las also for the record of this. Now I can’t even say I have a new truck. Only said that for 31 days. I will take it right back t the moment o first sound and after 3 times or 30 days, the lemon law lawyers contacted me and we will do everything we need to get out of this truck providing they dont address this issue correctly.
Hello there,

We are sorry to hear about this. If you have a case open with Ram Cares, please send us a private message with that case number. We'd be happy to document your concerns.

Lex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread