5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 eTorque Surge When Starting To Move

Bavet

Reaction score
My truck is at the dealership. The tech took it out for a ride and noted the issues we are complaining about. Tomorrow he is going to open a STAR case. I would encourage others who are having this problem to reach out to their dealers as I think the more complaints there are the higher the chance of it getting fixed-I hope. I have to believe this is related to programming and can get taken care of. @RamCares can you link some of these problems noted in the forum to my STAR case?
I've asked my dealer to open a Star case twice. So far they haven't. And I asked them to open one for this exact same reason. How does Ram know there is a problem unless they see a STAR case? My dealer says they have to compare my problem to other same model year trucks to see if my problem is unique or not. They found my same problems on other trucks, so apparently I'm SOL. I'm curious how your STAR case goes. Please keep us updated.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That doesn't seem accurate. My SA called me today and said the tech had him check some grounds (they were fine) and then download some data from it to send in...I think. Either way he had not heard back as of 4pm. Should hear more tomorrow.

7thapollo

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Rebel w/ eTorque and I’m still getting used to it coming from a ‘13 Bighorn. One thing I noticed about my start/stop is that when I come to a complete stop and engine shuts off, I have to keep my breaks hammered in as hard as possible and ANY release of the break pedal, even a nuthair, is enough to start the truck again. It’s actually quite annoying. I wish there was at least some room for give. I have to focus intensely on keeping the breaks depressed otherwise the truck is starting. Anyone experience this as well? Is it just the way it is? Can it be adjusted? I wish I could fully describe just how sensitive the auto start feature is. Sometime’s, I can’t even tell I moved my foot at all and the truck is starting.

Bavet

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Rebel w/ eTorque and I’m still getting used to it coming from a ‘13 Bighorn. One thing I noticed about my start/stop is that when I come to a complete stop and engine shuts off, I have to keep my breaks hammered in as hard as possible and ANY release of the break pedal, even a nuthair, is enough to start the truck again. It’s actually quite annoying. I wish there was at least some room for give. I have to focus intensely on keeping the breaks depressed otherwise the truck is starting. Anyone experience this as well? Is it just the way it is? Can it be adjusted? I wish I could fully describe just how sensitive the auto start feature is. Sometime’s, I can’t even tell I moved my foot at all and the truck is starting.
That doesn't seem right. I would get it looked at.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Rebel and it does the exact same thing. If you're sitting in a line at a drive-thru and unknowingly ease off the brake, the truck will start and "lurch" forward. You would think I would be used to it by now but it still scares the s*** out of me.

jgc650i

Reaction score
Went to the dealer today for an oil change. I think I read someone mention a possible recall on this for the MY22 trucks with eTorque in another thread but couldn't find it. Even though no recall was showing for me on the owner's dashboard, it did come up as a required recall on the service writer's system for my truck. It was an updated software flash required for the Hybrid Control Processor. I only drove it about 10-15 miles after service was completed, but it does appear to be working much better now. More like what I was used to with my MY19 eTorque. It still does the rolling auto stop before you come to a complete stop, but it's seems to be at a lower speed than before. Most importantly, it seems much less sensitive to backing off the brake a bit during a rolling stop and doesn't try to start back up for minor braking fluctuations. For me, that was the biggest issue and concern. Not sure, but I think the recall is only for MY22 that had the different auto start/stop programing than previous model years. As I drive it more in the days ahead if I end feeling it's still a problem I'll post a further update, but for now I think the recall update may have solved my issue (knock on wood).

The line item for this on my service write up says: "RSU 22-093 2022 DT Flash: Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) UPD"

jgc650i

Reaction score
Now that I've had a week to drive around a bit after the recall was applied, I feel I have to amend my previous post above. While it is definitely better than it was, I still think the 2022 auto start/stop programming is problematic. At the end of the day, the auto stop should not engage at all until the vehicle is at a full and complete stop, period, like it used to be. Having it shutoff the engine power for a rolling stop is still clunky and frankly just plain dangerous in my opinion. @RamCares this is clearly a safety issue that needs to be reconsidered and addressed. To the rest of the forum members, especially those with the 2022's that have this issue, what do you think. . . is this maybe worth a formal complaint to the NHTSA to see if that could get some traction from the safety perspective? Not at all trying to be dramatic here, but I do think this is a bad setup and an accident waiting to happen.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you and with @RamCares would respond. My dealer opened a STAR but I have not heard back. I recently called to inquire about it but so far only phone tag. I think it is an issue and potentially could cause an issue. At best it occasionally scares the heck out of me when it jumps ahead pulling into a parking spot or against my garage.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I've had a week to drive around a bit after the recall was applied, I feel I have to amend my previous post above. While it is definitely better than it was, I still think the 2022 auto start/stop programming is problematic. At the end of the day, the auto stop should not engage at all until the vehicle is at a full and complete stop, period, like it used to be. Having it shutoff the engine power for a rolling stop is still clunky and frankly just plain dangerous in my opinion. @RamCares this is clearly a safety issue that needs to be reconsidered and addressed. To the rest of the forum members, especially those with the 2022's that have this issue, what do you think. . . is this maybe worth a formal complaint to the NHTSA to see if that could get some traction from the safety perspective? Not at all trying to be dramatic here, but I do think this is a bad setup and an accident waiting to happen.
I didn't have any issues with it before the update, outside of the code it was throwing, and still have no issues after the update.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not a Marine, but my son is. He said they are always riding or flying around in bouncy rattle traps. Are you sure you’re a good judge of things in this area? :D

Just kidding and thank you for your service!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's certainly possible that I don't know what I'm missing, being this is my first Ram.

reapur

Reaction score
Mine does this...about 2-3mph on the brakes it kills the engine. Release brake it restarts quickly, but significant throttle lag and delay from the truck that once it goes, its a jerk reaction.
^^^ This. It feels like it doesn't want to go, I hit the gas and it shoots like a rocket.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah. I see both of those issues. The lag/delay and jump once it starts. Kinda scares the hell out of you for half a second. Yesterday it felt like it was joint to jump into the car in front of me while I was parking.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with you and with @RamCares would respond. My dealer opened a STAR but I have not heard back. I recently called to inquire about it but so far only phone tag. I think it is an issue and potentially could cause an issue. At best it occasionally scares the heck out of me when it jumps ahead pulling into a parking spot or against my garage.
Hey everyone,

We appreciate the tags. If you're experiencing this issue, please send us a direct message. We'd love to look into how we can fix you.

Callie
Ram Cares

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I gotta tell ya....I am very disappointed with how the "new" Etorque functions. I shouldn't spill my coffee (in the cup holder) because the damn thing cuts in as I am rolling to a stop but traffic moves and it starts back up jumping ahead. If I don't drive like my grandpa waiting 3 seconds for the stupid transmission to kick in when coming from a stop so I can smoothly pull away, then it rides like a 16 year old learning to drive a manual shift Honda. Some days are better than others, but it's always there. Whats more frustrating is it seems to be a programming thing as the old version wasn't like this. I have even turned off the auto stop and there is still a lag when accelerating that jumps when pulling away from a stop. I hate bringing it to the dealer because they are so short staffed that everything takes twice as long and is a PITA.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but so far the dealership has not been able to fix it, which I understand because it is working how it was probably programmed to. Can't fix bad coding at the dealer. If I had known this I would have not purchased the Etorque. @RamCares is probably no help here either. Its a bummer because I otherwise love the truck.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey deeve,

We're sorry to hear about your frustrations with your truck. If you do decide to take it into your local dealer, please reach out to us. We'd be happy to see how we can help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Snekpete

Reaction score
I gotta tell ya....I am very disappointed with how the "new" Etorque functions. I shouldn't spill my coffee (in the cup holder) because the damn thing cuts in as I am rolling to a stop but traffic moves and it starts back up jumping ahead. If I don't drive like my grandpa waiting 3 seconds for the stupid transmission to kick in when coming from a stop so I can smoothly pull away, then it rides like a 16 year old learning to drive a manual shift Honda. Some days are better than others, but it's always there. Whats more frustrating is it seems to be a programming thing as the old version wasn't like this. I have even turned off the auto stop and there is still a lag when accelerating that jumps when pulling away from a stop. I hate bringing it to the dealer because they are so short staffed that everything takes twice as long and is a PITA.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but so far the dealership has not been able to fix it, which I understand because it is working how it was probably programmed to. Can't fix bad coding at the dealer. If I had known this I would have not purchased the Etorque. @RamCares is probably no help here either. Its a bummer because I otherwise love the truck.
Go to Settings->Safety and Driver Assistance and turn off Hill Start Assist. See if that makes any difference.

Bavet

Reaction score

I've had my 1500 GT for a year now. This is my third Ram 1500 in a row, but if Ram engineering doesn't fix these issues it could be my last. Now I hear you can't even get one without eTorque. A software update improved my Stop/Start function some but this acceleration delay after a stop is very annoying and takes away from the driving experience.

Users who are viewing this thread