5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 eTorque Surge When Starting To Move

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram is just over a week old with about 500 miles on it, so pretty new. I’ve noticed that the engine start/stop is not very smooth when pulling away from a stop with the engine off. I take my foot off the brake, the truck starts to roll and the engine starts. The transition between what I am assuming is the eTorque motor and the gas engine is kind of rough. Like it surges, or jolts…hard to explain.

The Rams I test drove with eTorque did not exhibit this behavior. If fact, I had a hard time telling when the transition happened. In particular a 2019 model year was really smooth. It was used with 50k on it. I do not recall if I test drove a 2022 or not. I drove a bunch, both regular and eTorque and the smoothness of the transitions stood out to me.

Is this normal behavior for 2022’s or ??

Last edited:

GoMango16

Reaction score
I have noticed if you hit the gas too quick, it will do that. Give it a few seconds to get rolling before I hit the gas.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 22 system was re designed. Some people like it. Others don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the way it shuts off as you roll to a stop, but not so much the start. One of the reasons why I bought the eTorque was because taking off was so smooth opposed to other start/stop vehicles I have ridden in. I'm not sure now how it compares, but if you get rolling again before coming to a complete stop (or even after coming to a complete stop) it is not very smooth at all.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2020 is really smooth. You don't even know it is working except I have an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe go test drive another 2022 to see. Then you can compare and see if you need service or not.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
I have a 21 now and waiting on a 22, kind of bummed it won't be as smooth, didn't realize there was a change in 2022.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems to be partially the engine starting, partially me not coming to a complete stop that contributes to the issue. I took it for a drive this morning and was very deliberate on my stopping/pulling away. It may be a timing/coordination thing but it didn't feel as "natural" as the 2019-2021 ones I drove.

There definitely is a change when the eTorque takes over. Almost like the engine is not starting quite quick enough.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How was it redesigned?
So the engine shuts off before a complete stop? That's different for sure. Mine waits until I'm at a full stop and then shutdown. It never shuts down for a rolling stop.
From what I've read, the most noticeable change for '22 is that it shuts off the engine before the truck is stopped. And from reading this thread, it sounds like they changed something about how it behaves on the restart as well. The stop/start system on both the 5th gens I've owned with it are barely noticeable. It seems they took one of the best systems out there and made it a little more noticeable, just to be able to claim one more mpg.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Mine does this...about 2-3mph on the brakes it kills the engine. Release brake it restarts quickly, but significant throttle lag and delay from the truck that once it goes, its a jerk reaction.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, maybe it's something that a software update can fix it going forward. Sounds like they had it figured out at one point with the "previous generation". When I bring it in for service I'll mention it to him and see what they can do.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Mine is really smooth when coming off the line but yes if you're slowing down and get to 3ish mph it will turn off and if you don't come to a complete stop it will lurch forward if you punch it. When that happens just accelerate slower and it's not really noticeable. Seems to really only happen when a red light turns to green before I'm fully stopped, most of the time I can take my foot off the brake before the truck turns off in those instances.

PowerStrokenDieselz

Reaction score
So I am a Former Ford Truck owner, I was on my way to buy a F150 5.0 and stopped at a Dodge dealership on my way. I tripped and fell into a 2019 1500 5.7L ETorque 2wd Crewcab 51k miles. I love the truck but I have been having some issues.
1# when filling up the 26gal fuel tank the truck shows only 260/300 miles to empty. I have only been able to manage 10-12mpg driving and doing everything I can to increase mileage.
2# When I come to a stop and the auto/start stop restarts the motor the truck surges forward violently.
3# While applying the brakes the truck surges like I’m pumping the brakes and makes it uncomfortable for passengers who think I’m braking that way.
4# The gear display seems to always show the truck in 8th gear until I get it under 30mph.
It’s at the dealership now and they have given me a 21/22 1500 5.7L 2wd Clubcab 6.4bed. as a loaner. I have been driving it for several days now and can say it is a completely different truck. I am getting 18/22mpg driving it a little harder than I drove mine to see how the mpg’s would be affected. The Braking and shifting is smooth, it displays more gears when driving. This truck doesn’t have ETorque so I am not able to compare that to mine.
I really love my truck overall but the issues listed above are not something I can live with when spending that kind of money on a vehicle. I have searched on the internet and forums and cannot find related issues with Etorque or anything.
has anyone else experienced these issues or know what may be the culprit. I really would like to keep the truck my wife likes it and is tired off my diesels, but averaging less mpg’s than my jacked up diesels is crazy especially with these gas prices.

Islander

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when I received my '22 recently and didn't care for the way stop/start felt...so I installed the Autostop Eliminator...problem solved :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I am a Former Ford Truck owner, I was on my way to buy a F150 5.0 and stopped at a Dodge dealership on my way. I tripped and fell into a 2019 1500 5.7L ETorque 2wd Crewcab 51k miles. I love the truck but I have been having some issues.
1# when filling up the 26gal fuel tank the truck shows only 260/300 miles to empty. I have only been able to manage 10-12mpg driving and doing everything I can to increase mileage.
2# When I come to a stop and the auto/start stop restarts the motor the truck surges forward violently.
3# While applying the brakes the truck surges like I’m pumping the brakes and makes it uncomfortable for passengers who think I’m braking that way.
4# The gear display seems to always show the truck in 8th gear until I get it under 30mph.
It’s at the dealership now and they have given me a 21/22 1500 5.7L 2wd Clubcab 6.4bed. as a loaner. I have been driving it for several days now and can say it is a completely different truck. I am getting 18/22mpg driving it a little harder than I drove mine to see how the mpg’s would be affected. The Braking and shifting is smooth, it displays more gears when driving. This truck doesn’t have ETorque so I am not able to compare that to mine.
I really love my truck overall but the issues listed above are not something I can live with when spending that kind of money on a vehicle. I have searched on the internet and forums and cannot find related issues with Etorque or anything.
has anyone else experienced these issues or know what may be the culprit. I really would like to keep the truck my wife likes it and is tired off my diesels, but averaging less mpg’s than my jacked up diesels is crazy especially with these gas prices.
I can’t say whether your issues are exclusively eTorque-related or not, but the behavior you’re describing is unusual.

The only issue I’ve had with my 2019 is that I can accelerate faster than intended if I let off the brake and hit the gas pedal too quickly…before eTorque has fully restarted the Hemi.

My guess (and maybe some smarter members than me can confirm) is that your TCM (shift) programming needs a reset, as the transmission “learns” any of 45 different shift programs based on the conditions experienced. Possibly a “fresh start” is needed.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I brought my truck in at the end of last week for them to install a brake controller (it was supposed to have come with the truck). At the time I mentioned the surging issue to the service writer. She said there was a noncritacal update to the hybrid system. She wasn't sure what it was supposed to fix, but had it installed to see. I
Haven't had a chance to drive much since I had to go out of town, but the driving I did do did not seem to make much of a difference. I'll drive it a bit more then decide if I am going to bring it in.

Quint

Reaction score
My wife's 2018 BMW will auto-stop just before the wheels stop moving, and the car comes to a sudden stop (as if the brakes were applied suddenly). I like how my 2021 Ram waits until I have come to a complete stop.

Sometimes my truck will restart abruptly with a little jerk. Annoying but nothing too alarming.

Users who are viewing this thread