5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 fuel economy 10 mpg city ???

The_Dude

Reaction score
I have a 19' 1500 5.7 with etorque and a 3.21 rear end. On the highway I can get 20-22 MPG, mixed is 17-19 MPG, city is pretty dismal at 15-16 MPG. I run Michelin snow tires year around and sold the factory tires as I run my truck mostly in the fall/winter. I have 12k on the Odo.

Savage_Doc

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 1500 with the 5.7L Have about 250miles on it and I,m only getting 10mpg mostly city driving.
This can’t be normal anyone else getting horrible fuel mileage…???
It seems right for a brand new truck, it will increase after the break in, but in city they tend to have low mpg, don't go too heavy with your right foot.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 1500 with the 5.7L Have about 250miles on it and I,m only getting 10mpg mostly city driving.
This can’t be normal anyone else getting horrible fuel mileage…???
Nope it's normal. I get the same 10-13mpg city driving without traffic (NYC metro area). What did you expect from a V8?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you expect from a V8?
I'm not saying these are my words, but if the window sticker for a V8 says 15 city, one could expect that they'd get close. My Rebel says 21 highway and I don't think I broke 16 on my last trip, keeping the speeds at 75 or less. When the majority of highways in the US have been 70MPH during this generation of truck, you'd expect that the advertised mileage would be close.

But, then there are many here that know that the "new" measurement being used by the manufacturers is still a joke.

mhb1638

Reaction score
I've had a few 5th gen trucks now with hemi's (non Etorque) and about to order a 22 with the e torque. All my trucks were laramies (1) and several limiteds. At no time did I ever experience below 14mpg in any truck, any gear. My 21 with 35" tires and 3.92 gets the worst at about 14-15 and 17-18 on the interstate. I'd say something isn't right. yes there are tons of variables, but I'd be heading back if my truck said 10mpg. Just me though

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not saying these are my words, but if the window sticker for a V8 says 15 city, one could expect that they'd get close. My Rebel says 21 highway and I don't think I broke 16 on my last trip, keeping the speeds at 75 or less. When the majority of highways in the US have been 70MPH during this generation of truck, you'd expect that the advertised mileage would be close.

But, then there are many here that know that the "new" measurement being used by the manufacturers is still a joke.
The only time I got 21mpg was when I purposely didn't go over 65mph. I did it once to just see what I get. But regularly, I drive with the flow of traffic at 70-80mph which gives me 17-19mpg.

Attachments

• PXL_20210926_153357770.jpg
    PXL_20210926_153357770.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Camelot

Reaction score
All manufacturers data is from tests on a Dyno, no ups or downs and no wind resistance.

Tnseltim

Reaction score
Punching it from every stop I'd get 12-13, normal semi aggressive driving yields me 16-17 consistently.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All manufacturers data is from tests on a Dyno, no ups or downs and no wind resistance.
Not entirely true. They are tested on a dyno, but the dyno simulates wind resistance, road friction and the weight of the vehicle.

Souths1der

Reaction score
Is it advised to use 89 octane? I had a Ram with the 5.7 from 2013-2017 and only ever used 87. Truck always ran great. Maybe 89 was optimal back then too and I just didn't pay attention.

Jako

Reaction score
The only time I got 21mpg was when I purposely didn't go over 65mph. I did it once to just see what I get. But regularly, I drive with the flow of traffic at 70-80mph which gives me 17-19mpg.
Best MPG so far at 28,000 miles:
5 at 20+ mpg
2 at 21+ mpg
4 at 22+ mpg
2 at 23+ mpg (one with 93 octane and no tonneau cover), Costco only had 93 but priced for 87 :)
1 at 24+ mpg (flat and straight road)
These mpgs were attained by doing the speed limit / minimal traffic (cruise for the most part), 89 octane and tonneau cover with the exception mentioned.
I'm happy.
Local never under 10 mpg, but my local is nothing but stop and go, short trips where motor probably does not attain optimum temperature plus "regulated gas" aka alcohol, winter/summer blend.
Never tried 100% gasoline as it is not available in my area to my knowledge.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it advised to use 89 octane? I had a Ram with the 5.7 from 2013-2017 and only ever used 87. Truck always ran great. Maybe 89 was optimal back then too and I just didn't pay attention.
The owners manual says that optimal "performance" is with 89, but 87 is fine for daily use.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The computer doesn't care if you're moving or not when it calculates mpg's. Idling at lights, driving slow, loud pedal aggressiveness, elevation changes, etc... will cause them to plunge. IIRC, it only cares about distance traveled and fuel used. Our mpg's drop drastically when we cruise the Merritt Island Wildlife Drive where we average a speed of about 5 to 10 mph with frequent stops when we see the big alligators. I've seen the mpg's drop to single digits, but it's fully expected. Back on the road with a mix of highway/town driving gets us about 16 mpg, give or take. Highway driving we can see 18/19 average. I always set the gear limit to avoid MDS as well.

KrustyKush

Reaction score
Just for comparison, I've got a 2021 Laramie. 5.7 liter, 3.92 rear end. 13,500 miles. Everything in the truck stock oem. Last night, drove me and the wife from Menifee, CA to LAX to pick up my daughter and husband, plus lots of luggage in the bed. Drove the same freeway route back home. Average speed 70 mph, sometimes 65, sometimes 80, but mostly nice, even foot on the pedal. Running 87 regular. Outside temps around 55f. Truck's computer says I was getting 17.3 near the end of the 150 mile trip.

This trip also included 45 minutes of mostly sitting/crawling through a traffic jam around LAX.

Now, if I hook up our 7k lb rv, the indicated mileage drops to 10 and sometimes a little below. But on the highway, steady speeds around 70, no headwinds, carrying two or more pax, it's usually above 15.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Actually the EPA test the trucks for MPG, the reason why the EPA is higher on the window sticker is because the EPA uses non-ethanol fuel currently during the test.

That will probably change soon since most Americans do not have easy access to pure gasoline.

Gasoline's blended with Ethanol will lower MPG in most engines. The EPA says Fuel efficiency can decrease by 1.5% to 3%.

CMil527

Reaction score
I'm approaching 10,000 miles and I will preface by saying im an aggressive driver and regularly remote start summer/winter daily. I'm probably 70/30 city to highway and use regular since new. Truck runs great but I'm at 11.4 mpgs for the full year. On full highway trips over 100 miles I've seen up to 18 mpg cruising at 75-80 but never any better. My truck has 3.92's and ive run 24's for about 8 months of that time.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mileage on a truck is between 10 and 20. Been this way for decades.

The only variable that matters is your usage of your right foot.

While working the truck it can be under 10. While towing the truck it could go over 20...ha

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Did you get less than ideal mileage in your previous vehicle? I live in the DFW area and traffic is a bear, two roundabouts and a traffic light just to get out of my neighborhood. My mileage got a little better after a couple thousand miles, before that I hardly ever saw the “ECO” light. I suggest a short road trip at about 65-70 mph, light traffic, few stops and see what your highway mph looks like. My previous vehicle was a 3.6 V6 and I got less than 15 mph city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/