5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Stolen Ram Rebel 1500!

milks669

Reaction score
Hey guys, Hope all is well.

I figured I'd come here and tell you all my story about my stolen 2021 Ram Rebel. I live in Toronto, Canada, and there's a ton of this happening all over the city. It's crazy, I'd say everyone probably knows someone who's had a stolen car. It's really bad right now.

Left the house early one morning mid August, to find no truck on my driveway. We're talking at 5:30am. I was pretty cheesed at the time. You hear about other people's cars getting stolen, and you always think not me, no way it'll happen and it did. lol. Whatever. Anyway, before I even called the police I checked the cameras, to see a get a way car parked on a corner street, and two guys checking my truck out. I didn't see them do that antenna thing where they go to your front door, to steel the code from your fob. I kept it in a box anyway. They went under to cut the horn, and within a minute the lights lit up and flashed 3 times, but no horn as it was cut. They opened the door started and left all within a minute. I don't understand why car manufactures aren't really moving to fix this issue, it's as they know we'll be right back buying another truck.

So I called the police and they took the information, ask me to setup Sirius satellite tracking with Sirius Guardian, which I wish I never did, as it was a waste of time and paying a month for that service. To this day they never found my truck. I dealt with Insurance and because of the amount of cars that are being stolen that they waved the 30 waiting period they set for stolen vehicles and sent me an offer not even a week later. 5 days and I had an offer. It's like they know it's already long gone. lol. The truck was only 2 years old so I had the full replacement value of the truck if stolen within 3 years, so that was great. But that week was crazy man, made me feel like I was bi-polar with all the emotions I felt. It started with I was sad that it was gone, because I loved that truck so much. I wasn't ready to lose it yet, as it was still new. But, it had a new tranny put in it as the original one failed, had a few dings. Then a few days later I started getting mad and pissed off. Lost a lot of faith in society that day. You truly feel violated. Not even 50ft from where you're sleeping there's idiots prancing outside your house. It's ridiculous. Stayed pissed off for a few days, one big reason was I bought that truck at the start of covid when all the dealerships were offering 0%. Where the hell am I getting that today? I won't. Then I made my first trip to the dealer and set my eyes on a beautiful 2023 Ram Rebel GT edition, fully loaded. Made a deal that day, and my pissed off feeling turned to excitement. lol. I swear the emotions were real man. Was a ride for sure. Anyway, I'm loving this GT edition, with the removal of the dial shifter, and brought back the old school shifter in the middle console, cold air intake, beefier exhaust. The truck is amazing. Has the ram box, slip tail gate (which I really didn't want, but it was that or wait for a factory order, and that would take months which I couldn't wait for. I also had a compustar emobilizer installed. Essentially an electronic kill switch, and Insurance is forcing us here in Canada if you have a highly wanted vehicle that they pay for, but install a thing called Tag Tracking. I believe it's a Quebec based company. It's not alive and doesn't track your daily trips, it's only activate it when it's needed. It's separate from the tracking they offer to keep your insurance lower the way you drive. It's different than that. If you don't install this Tag tracking, then they will add $500 to your yearly premium. The one downfall with it, is they etch your driver and passenger side windows with their logo. Supposed to be a deterrent. Whatever, better to have a piece of mind, is how I'm looking at it.

Anyway that was my experience of having a truck stolen right off your driveway. I truly don't think the car manufacturers are in a rush to fix this, as people such as myself will be right back purchasing a new truck, because it's what we live for. Thanks for reading, all the best.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sucks. Good to hear you got a new truck to be excited about and are able to squash that sadness and anger a bit. I can’t even imagine the range of emotions dealing with that. Total violation.

Guessing you don’t have a garage to lock it up in?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sux. sorry to hear that. I bet if guns weren’t banned in Canada the criminals would think twice before stealing. 🫤

It wouldn't help at all. We have plenty of guns in the US and nearly 2 vehicles are stolen every minute.

Punishment needs to be more than a slap on the wrist. If not, theft will continue to get worse.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You know, there are some pretty decent anti-theft solutions out there. Ravelco and IGLA are the two most popular options.
Rather than wring your hands about rampant theft and soft-on-crime policies, why not prevent the theft in the first place?

Av1

Reaction score
I feel your pain.

Many years ago we had an attempted vehicle theft of our truck parked out in front of the home we were living in at the time. They were caught in the act and arrested.

Three days later it was successfully stolen. I couldn't believe it.

Congrats on the new GT. I'm sure that helped ease your heartache.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
You know, there are some pretty decent anti-theft solutions out there. Ravelco and IGLA are the two most popular options.
Rather than wring your hands about rampant theft and soft-on-crime policies, why not prevent the theft in the first place?
So I've never really looked into any anti-theft stuff; thanks for the couple of suggestions. I've just finished (LOL...right) building up my truck the way I want it and I don't want this truck stolen, because I don't want to start over. I'm also pretty sure my insurance won't cover 100% of the value of the add-ons I've done. This is a good suggestion. Do you have an opinion on IGLA vs Ravelco? No, I haven't started really looking into it, and yes, I can start searching the forum, but I'm curious about your opinion specifically if you have a minute. And I think it's relevant to this thread.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I've never really looked into any anti-theft stuff; thanks for the couple of suggestions. I've just finished (LOL...right) building up my truck the way I want it and I don't want this truck stolen, because I don't want to start over. I'm also pretty sure my insurance won't cover 100% of the value of the add-ons I've done. This is a good suggestion. Do you have an opinion on IGLA vs Ravelco? No, I haven't started really looking into it, and yes, I can start searching the forum, but I'm curious about your opinion specifically if you have a minute. And I think it's relevant to this thread.
I have Ravelco on my truck. It's simple (i.e., low tech), and very easy to use. You just remove a "plug" when you get out, and reinstall it when you get back in. It disables the ignition and fuel pump, so the only way to steal the truck is to drag it away (or spend a fair amount of time under the hood rewiring). Time is the enemy of a thief, so this is a good solution for me. The downside is that you lose remote-start capabilities when the plug is removed. The other downside: A thief can still wipe your key fobs before he realizes he can't steal it (requiring you to have it reprogrammed). It's a $600 cost (roughly) to have Ravelco installed.

IGLA is the other popular option. It's an electronic device that is buried deep in the CAN wiring (and so well hidden that it's almost impossible to find). It electronically disables everything (including making a new key fob). It's arguably a much more sophisticated option, and it still allows remote start. The downside, other than cost ($1200), is that you have to carry an extra key fob. Or set it up so that you input a button-sequence whenever you start it up (basically, it's a PIN code). And just so you know, it's a Russian-made device (in case you have any feelings about that).

I've considered adding an IGLA to my truck (in addition to Ravelco), but honestly I've just been too lazy to do it. If you have the extra funds, I would probably recommend IGLA, as it's a more robust anti-theft solution. And you can pair it with some other devices to add tracking capabilities and such. I'm not super-knowledgeable on those, though.

Last edited:

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I have Ravelco on my truck. It's simple (i.e., low tech), and very easy to use. You just remove a "plug" when you get out, and reinstall it when you get back in. It disables the ignition and fuel pump, so the only way to steal the truck is to drag it away (or spend a fair amount of time under the hood rewiring). Time is the enemy of a thief, so this is a good solution for me. The downside is that you lose remote-start capabilities when the plug is removed. The other downside: A thief can still wipe your key fobs before he realizes he can't steal it (requiring you to have it reprogrammed). It's a $600 cost (roughly) to have Ravelco installed.

IGLA is the other popular option. It's an electronic device that is buried deep in the CAN wiring (and so well hidden that it's almost impossible to find). It electronically disables everything (including making a new key fob). It's arguably a much more sophisticated option, and it still allows remote start. The downside, other than cost ($1200), is that you have to carry an extra key fob. Or set it up so that you input a button-sequence whenever you start it up (basically, it's a PIN code). And just so you know, it's a Russian-made device (in case you have any feelings about that).

I've considered adding an IGLA to my truck (in addition to Ravelco), but honestly I've just been too lazy to do it. If you have the extra funds, I would probably recommend IGLA, as it's a more robust anti-theft solution. And you can pair it with some other devices to add tracking capabilities and such. I'm not super-knowledgeable on those, though.
Thanks for the great response. I had a friend in high school who drove a '69 Dodge Coronet which had an even lower tech solution where he had a threaded knob under his dash that completed the ignition connection so you couldn't easily hotwire it. Ravelco sounds like a fancier version of that, but it's effective as you pointed out.

This is all good food for thought. Thanks again!

Oh, and OP, I'm really sorry to hear about your truck. And very happy to hear you love the new one.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
There was a reason why hands were cut off and people were hung in town square. Heck of a deterrent.
I'm pretty sure in Arab countries in the distant past, if you were caught stealing the first offense was a severe beating, second offense you got a hand cut off and if you was stupid enough to do it again they kept whittling on you until you could no longer steal anything. I agree with you, a pretty dang effective deterrent! ✋😬 🤚

RockYacht2020

Reaction score

After a little more research, I was honestly deterred by the Russian manufacturing of the IGLA, but it turns out they're based in Slovenia, and I have nothing against Slovenia or Slovenians. They have actually banned Russian aircraft from its airspace as a sanction for invading Ukraine. Now I'm back to one or the other or both again, like you. And if that was a turn-off for IGLA for anyone else, it's worth a second look.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After a little more research, I was honestly deterred by the Russian manufacturing of the IGLA, but it turns out they're based in Slovenia, and I have nothing against Slovenia or Slovenians. They have actually banned Russian aircraft from its airspace as a sanction for invading Ukraine. Now I'm back to one or the other or both again, like you. And if that was a turn-off for IGLA for anyone else, it's worth a second look.
No, they're a Russian company. They've been doing what many other Russian companies are doing, and making it look like they're not Russian. But they're 100% a Russian company. Here's a screenshot from a while back (from their website) - this doesn't show up anymore on the site.

1695746282702.png

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
No, they're a Russian company. They've been doing what many other Russian companies are doing, and making it look like they're not Russian. But they're 100% a Russian company. Here's a screenshot from a while back (from their website) - this doesn't show up anymore on the site.

View attachment 168077
Sadness. Thanks again.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i always find turning away from a solution to a problem just because the supplying company is Russian doesn't make sense at all.

sure Russian invaded Ukraine and **** but who cares if they offer the solution to an at-home problem. Your at-home problem is in more dire need to be taken care of than some war half a globe away.

Heck, I don't see people boycott Chinese products like Auxbeams and Amazon cheap Chinese lights from Tiananman Square Incidents or the Uyghur concentration camp or the persecution of Falun people.

The point is, the company offers a solution. Take the solution before someone steals your truck lol

Users who are viewing this thread