5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram Air Suspension Issue

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
2019 limited with 43000k miles no problems with the air suspension

Lgrevaz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I own a 2021 RAM 1500DT Limited. Recently, I purchased a 22-foot double-axle caravan with a tare weight of 3.3 tons and an ATM of 4.5 tons. The tow ball mass is 250 kg when unladen. When I towed my caravan for the first time, I felt a floating sensation at the steering wheel, as if the front wheels of the RAM were not really touching the road. Starting at 90 km/h, the caravan began to sway dangerously. So, I decided to have it weighed (I am attaching the results Dec 23) and was very surprised. With the car unladen, I had 2000 kg on the rear axle, while the tow ball only weighed 280 kg, and the front of the car seemed very light with only 1460 kg. It seemed as though the rear airbags couldn't support the weight of the tow ball. I measured the distance from the ground to the tow ball, which was 530 mm. My first instinct was to think that I was carrying the caravan too high.

So, I lowered it to 450 mm, making sure the caravan remained perfectly horizontal, and went back to have it weighed. On the road, the caravan behaved much better, with no swaying. The steering feel is also better. However, I was very surprised to see that the weight distribution of the RAM had hardly changed (I am attaching the results Jan 24). I ended up with an illegal overload of 150 kg on the rear axle, while I only had 280 kg on the tow ball (even though the maximum allowed on the tow ball is 450 kg). Could someone explain this to me? Do I have a problem with my rear suspensions?

Attachments

• Hitched at 530mm.pdf
    394.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Hitched at 450mm.pdf
    394.5 KB · Views: 2

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I own a 2021 RAM 1500DT Limited. Recently, I purchased a 22-foot double-axle caravan with a tare weight of 3.3 tons and an ATM of 4.5 tons. The tow ball mass is 250 kg when unladen. When I towed my caravan for the first time, I felt a floating sensation at the steering wheel, as if the front wheels of the RAM were not really touching the road. Starting at 90 km/h, the caravan began to sway dangerously. So, I decided to have it weighed (I am attaching the results Dec 23) and was very surprised. With the car unladen, I had 2000 kg on the rear axle, while the tow ball only weighed 280 kg, and the front of the car seemed very light with only 1460 kg. It seemed as though the rear airbags couldn't support the weight of the tow ball. I measured the distance from the ground to the tow ball, which was 530 mm. My first instinct was to think that I was carrying the caravan too high.

So, I lowered it to 450 mm, making sure the caravan remained perfectly horizontal, and went back to have it weighed. On the road, the caravan behaved much better, with no swaying. The steering feel is also better. However, I was very surprised to see that the weight distribution of the RAM had hardly changed (I am attaching the results Jan 24). I ended up with an illegal overload of 150 kg on the rear axle, while I only had 280 kg on the tow ball (even though the maximum allowed on the tow ball is 450 kg). Could someone explain this to me? Do I have a problem with my rear suspensions?
Someone else can correct me if I'm missing something.
You own the wrong truck to tow that.
Your attachment shows your truck not connected to the trailer weighs 3180kg or 7011lbs. Your GVWR is 7100. That means your payload is 89lbs, ie your hitch weight needs to be less then 89lbs.

Youe trailer weighs 3540kg which is 7804lbs. A hitch weight of 15% would be 1171lbs or 12 times your available payload. Even if you bring it down to 10% you are way over your payload several times over.

Your GVCW is 13,900 or 17,00lbs depending on your gear ratio, your setup weighs over 15,432, so unless you have 3.92 gears you also also out of spec with that too.
It is not safe for you and any drivers on the road around you with that setup.
Your front end likely was starting to "float" due to the weight. Your suspension is not the problem your truck having less then 100 payload before you attach a trailer is.

You would be looking at a 1500 tradesman or a 2500/3500 to tow that.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something is off in your weight assumptions. Also, it is not stated if a WDH is being used, which it definitely should be fir that setup. Also, engine and gears are not mentioned, so, check the attached table and see where you are in the listing, and gat a WDH.
Also, the weight of a 2021 Limited should be 5,345 to 5,568 lbs., so with a GVWR of your 7800#, that would give a capacity of over 2000#, which is also incorrect. Load capacity on my Limited is only about 1400#, and it is loaded.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuild...jGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBONjPJTiLoD5

. https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/Image?imageId=MtQrP/FqLY5r/est8MtGjGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBONjPJTiLoD5

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Something is off in your weight assumptions. Also, it is not stated if a WDH is being used, which it definitely should be fir that setup. Also, engine and gears are not mentioned, so, check the attached table and see where you are in the listing, and gat a WDH.

. https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/Image?imageId=MtQrP/FqLY5r/est8MtGjGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBONjPJTiLoD5
He has 89lbs payload. What will a WDH do for him? Look at his attachments.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wrong payload #.
There are no Limiteds made that have a 2000lbs payload. He also has an attachment showing his base weight of his truck with nothing hooked up is over 7000lbs. No way he has payload for that.
Screenshot_20240112-100545645 (1).jpg

Also where are you getting 7800lbs from? I find it hard to believe that maximum weight changed from 21 to 22.

P_20230525_191305_1.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also, the weight of a 2021 Limited should be 5,345 to 5,568 lbs., so with a GVWR of your 7800#, that would give a capacity of over 2000#, which is also incorrect. Load capacity on my Limited is only about 1400#, and it is loaded.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/Image?imageId=MtQrP/FqLY5r/est8MtGjGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBONjPJTiLoD5

These numbers are incorrect. No Limited can have a Payload of 2k

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These numbers are incorrect. No Limited can have a Payload of 2k
Don't argue with me. Argue with FCA. They gave the numbers. And like I said, my payload is 1400#.
And ,tow is rated at 11k and change. Your stated payload of less than 100# is way off.
And no, there is no Limited with a 2000# rating. I also don't know what his truck is made of, but Limited's are specked at 5,345 to 5,568 lbs. dry, so don't know where the 7011 dry weight came from unless he has 2000# upgrade that has been added somewhere along the line.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't argue with me. Argue with FCA. They gave the numbers. And like I said, my payload is 1400#.
And ,tow is rated at 11k and change. Your stated payload of less than 100# is way off.
And no, there is no Limited with a 2000# rating. I also don't know what his truck is made of, but Limited's are specked at 5,345 to 5,568 lbs. dry, so don't know where the 7011 dry weight came from unless he has 2000# upgrade that has been added somewhere along the line.
You don't understand the numbers.
Payload is your GVWR - weight of the truck (including everything inside)
The GVWR is 7100 lbs.
The trucks weight is 7011 lbs
That means his payload is 89lbs

You have a payload stick in your driver side door go take a look.
Your payload will be the weight of your vehicle - the GVWR.
Payload is weighed as the factory with no people and 5 gallons (highly debated) of fuel in the tank.

The poster posted his scale weight, that is his current weight, and subtract that from the GVWR is his payload, thus is low low number.

My payload is around 640 lbs on my Limited with people inside. With no one inside 750-800 (I would need to look at my weigh slip).

This is where the 7011 came from, his weight slip 6180 kg is 7011 lbs, so he is pretty loaded up in that truck before he even attaches anything.
1705105661961.png

He can post a picture of his door jamb sticker toss his vin in, but that only shows factor weight, not people or ANYTHING added after it left the factory.

What can you tow wiht 89 lbs of payload?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some people just don't understand the term "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating". That is the TOTAL weight that the vehicle CAN weigh loaded. That INCLUDES the payload, AND the weight of the truck. The truck according to FCA weighs in at 5,345 to 5,568 lbs DRY according to FCA. NO load, truck only. So if your truck has a GVWR of 7100# on your door sticker, and you subtract a dry weight of 5,568, then you can have a payload of UP TO 1532#. And, in the FCA specs that is what YOUR payload # could be.
Don't believe me? Ask the experts that build vehicles. They ALL do it the same.
------ 5.7L V8 HEMI-----Base-----GVWR---Payload-----Base-----------Gross--------CWR-----Max-----------------------------------Weight----------------------Rear---Front----Front----Rear--------------Trailer-------
BSG A8 8HP75 3.92----5187------6900----1710---2131--3056-----3,700---4,100---17,000---11,410-------
These figures are from FCA, so argue with them.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Some people just don't understand the term "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating". That is the TOTAL weight that the vehicle CAN weigh loaded. That INCLUDES the payload, AND the weight of the truck.
Correct
His Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 7100 lbs.
His truck weighs 7011 lbs meaning his payload is 89 lbs

1705124289695.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what GVWR means? It in GROSS, meaning INCLUDING PAYLOAD. What part of base weight ( the weight of the unloaded truck) and GROSS Weight the loaded weight of the truck)
being two different things don't you get. Read the summery. The boxed is base weight, and the last one is GVWR weight, ie, combined weight.
Do YOU know what it is?
YOU seem very confused.

The person weighted their truck WITHOUT THE TRAILER HOOKED UP and it is 7011 lbs.
Their GVWR is 7100 for the truck thus their payload is the remaining 89 lbs. In this case that payload is 100% for the tongue weight, which is not enough for a trailer that weighs 7500 lbs.

"The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum total safe weight of your vehicle, counting the curb weight (the weight of our vehicle when empty), plus the weight of your passengers, fuel, any accessories added to the vehicle, cargo, and the “tongue weight” of a tow trailer (normally 10-20% of the combined tow load and trailer weight)."

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do YOU know what it is?
YOU seem very confused.

The person weighted their truck WITHOUT THE TRAILER HOOKED UP and it is 7011 lbs.
Their GVWR is 7100 for the truck thus their payload is the remaining 89 lbs. In this case that payload is 100% for the tongue weight, which is not enough for a trailer that weighs 7500 lbs.

"The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum total safe weight of your vehicle, counting the curb weight (the weight of our vehicle when empty), plus the weight of your passengers, fuel, any accessories added to the vehicle, cargo, and the “tongue weight” of a tow trailer (normally 10-20% of the combined tow load and trailer weight)."
That's what I said. But if his truck weighs 700 then he has a 2500, not a 1500

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's what I said. But if his truck weighs 700 then he has a 2500, not a 1500
His very first line was this.
I need some advice. I own a 2021 RAM 1500DT Limited.

"I need some advice. I own a 2021 RAM 1500DT Limited."
It's as clear as it gets.

He has enough gear that it weighs over 7k lbs.
My truck weighs at\around 6360 lbs with no gear it in and just me inside. From the factory with nothing it in, people, nearly empty tank of gas it was 6040
That means that I have 300 lbs added onto it from the factory including myself and gas. Add in another 3 people at 200 lbs, that's another 600 lbs so i'm at 6960 which would leave me with a payload of 140 with 3 passengers with me.

Limited are not generally tow worthy as they have no payload unless you are flying solo and nothing in your truck. His problem is his truck is tapped out and he SHOULD have a 2500 to tow anything with a truck that is already near max GVWR without a trailer attached, likely looking for a 3500.
1705129335886.jpeg

SSR895

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with 155k and experiencing the same air suspension failure I’ve seen posted at the beginning of this thread (front end dropped / rear holding height). I bought truck new, compressor went out at 80k, had dealer replace it with new OEM compressor. I have not had any issues since until now.

I typically leave it in aero mode and never adjust ride height manually. I live in Indiana and we’ve been experiencing some below normal cold temps. Two days ago, when I walked outside to get in my truck to go to work, the front had dropped over night but the rear remained at what appears to be normal height. I got in and the “service air suspension immediately” warning was on the dash. I let truck run for awhile and went back out and tried again and got something like “air suspension is temporary disabled and cooling.”

I pulled truck into garage and let sit for a few hours in the heat and went back out and tried again, compressor kicked on but would not raise front end. After multiple attempts I unhooked battery, let set one hour, same result. Searched for obvious air leaks and can’t find anything. Jacked front end up to get under truck, compressor kicked on so let run till it kicked off and lowered jack slowly and front end of truck followed jack down as fast as I released jack.

Jacked the front back up, looked around under it and chased air lines, could not see anything. Cannot hear any air leaks, sprayed soapy water around and can’t find any obvious air bubbles anywhere.

Is the compressor going bad and just too weak to build enough pressure to lift or hold front?

What can I do to troubleshoot / diagnose?

Thank you for any info,

Attachments

• 1ABCB752-F51E-463D-B43F-F7A048D81278.jpeg
    1ABCB752-F51E-463D-B43F-F7A048D81278.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DCDA1AC6-AD8A-4FA8-AAB9-D55906FF0A7E.jpeg
    DCDA1AC6-AD8A-4FA8-AAB9-D55906FF0A7E.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 5

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with 155k and experiencing the same air suspension failure I’ve seen posted at the beginning of this thread (front end dropped / rear holding height). I bought truck new, compressor went out at 80k, had dealer replace it with new OEM compressor. I have not had any issues since until now.

I typically leave it in aero mode and never adjust ride height manually. I live in Indiana and we’ve been experiencing some below normal cold temps. Two days ago, when I walked outside to get in my truck to go to work, the front had dropped over night but the rear remained at what appears to be normal height. I got in and the “service air suspension immediately” warning was on the dash. I let truck run for awhile and went back out and tried again and got something like “air suspension is temporary disabled and cooling.”

I pulled truck into garage and let sit for a few hours in the heat and went back out and tried again, compressor kicked on but would not raise front end. After multiple attempts I unhooked battery, let set one hour, same result. Searched for obvious air leaks and can’t find anything. Jacked front end up to get under truck, compressor kicked on so let run till it kicked off and lowered jack slowly and front end of truck followed jack down as fast as I released jack.

Jacked the front back up, looked around under it and chased air lines, could not see anything. Cannot hear any air leaks, sprayed soapy water around and can’t find any obvious air bubbles anywhere.

Is the compressor going bad and just too weak to build enough pressure to lift or hold front?

What can I do to troubleshoot / diagnose?

Thank you for any info,
Sounds like a leak.
How would it go down overnight if the compressor was bad?
I wonder if the unit was not refilled with nitrogen after the compressor was replaced at 80k allowing regular air in and moisture and causing a pinhole rust leak somewhere unseen.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The compressor warnings air because the system shuts it off to protect it. Sounds like a leak either in the line or the bag. Also, did you check the connections at the compressor. Some here have had to retighten them because of this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread