5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Suggestions?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll be fine with that one too.

This is what we have:

List is 4880 lbs dry, 585 lbs tongue weight

Actual for mine is 5200 dry, 625 lbs tongue weight

I’ve had it fully loaded to its 7000 lb gross weight and tongue weight measured at 960 lbs

We really enjoy having both the dinette table and couch for seating (bonus they both also convert to extra beds)

It’s also nice to have an exterior entrance to the bathroom, so the kids don’t track mud/dirt/sand/rocks into the living space every time they have to go potty

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife and I were talking this morning about the very issues you guys brought up. We definitely got sucked in to the layout and figured we could use it now and have the kids still use the sofa and dinette as beds as they get older! They are 3 and 1. Bad parents, I know!

The Surveyor was the one we initially liked. They layout was conducive to future growth and we could used the top bunk as storage as the girls got bigger. Another thing we liked was it was already outfitted with solar, was under 26ft from tip to toe and has Azdel. Lastly, it was still was in the weight/payload limits of the truck (1504 on the payload), especially since the dry hitch weight is 517. I have been doing calculations on hitch, to be conservative and this one based on 7400 gross at 15% was 1,110 pounds. I can't imagine putting another 593 pounds on the hitch to get to that number. I admittedly get sucked into the payload number and go to the extreme with hitch weight, cause I want to be extremely safe for my precious cargo and the drivers around me. I am LEO, so its a hard habit to break and to be selfish!

Then my wife found these and is pushing the limits, in my opinion. What do you guys think?

28'10; 6500 Gross; 5192 dry; Hitch 630

28'11; 7660 Gross; 5654 dry; Hitch 670
Taking your kids camping is good parenting in my book no matter how it is.

I was lucky and my parents enjoyed camping into their older years and took my family along. No matter what trailer they had we made it work. In the beginning they gave us the "master bedroom" for the 4 of us. My dad and I built platforms to go between the edge of the bed and the wall. We put body pillows on them and the kids slept their (obviously when they were little). It worked for us and the kids thought it was fun to have their own "pocket" to sleep in. Bad parenting? Some may say yes but my kids thought it was neat and always looked forward to it so I would say no.

Each time my dad got a new trailer he always bought one with my family in the equation. That meant 4 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs.

Once he went to bunk beds we never looked back. We used the trailer to live in during those days at the campground (no eating out or using the trailer only to sleep in at night) so there was always a practicality to the layout:

1. Counterspace for my wife and mom to cook,

2 . Place for the kids to "set up shop" inside. A horseshoe dinette has more counterspace for the kids to spread their projects out on (and is easier to separate them on opposite sides if they are not getting along ;)), especially if it's raining and they're not getting dirty outside.

3. Having a segregated bathroom in its own space with a door was a must. A large shower or bathtub is ideal for bathing kids.

4. TV not next to the bunk beds similar to the trailer IvoryHemi has above. This gives a little latitude in the evening after the kids go to bed so you don't have to play Disney movies all evening too.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4. TV not next to the bunk beds similar to the trailer IvoryHemi has above. This gives a little latitude in the evening after the kids go to bed so you don't have to play Disney movies all evening too.

Our TV is on a swivel wall that pivots 180 degrees for bedroom viewing ;)

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I would love a second door to the bathroom, but I am trying to not get above 30ft tip to toe. I have to pay for storage and that's a beast of a trailer. After looking at your's Ivory, I found this one.

That one is starting to grow on me. Its along the same length I would want, good on the weights and with 950 pound hitch limit, I will still put me below payload. I just hate their are so many choices and I'm getting so hung up on tongue weight! I'm also trying to keep in mind the goal is to spend as much time outside, but need a comfortable space if weather or situations arise!

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I would love a second door to the bathroom, but I am trying to not get above 30ft tip to toe. I have to pay for storage and that's a beast of a trailer. After looking at your's Ivory, I found this one.

That one is starting to grow on me. Its along the same length I would want, good on the weights and with 950 pound hitch limit, I will still put me below payload. I just hate their are so many choices and I'm getting so hung up on tongue weight! I'm also trying to keep in mind the goal is to spend as much time outside, but need a comfortable space if weather or situations arise!

Don’t be afraid of 30 footer with a family of four

“buy your second camper, first”

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love a second door to the bathroom, but I am trying to not get above 30ft tip to toe.
I wasn't referring to a second door from the outside leading in. Sure that's convenient but that adds weight, length, and possible sealing issues to the outside weather.

I was talking about a solid door to the bathroom on the interior rather than a curtain.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
I wasn't referring to a second door from the outside leading in. Sure that's convenient but that adds weight, length, and possible sealing issues to the outside weather.

I was talking about a solid door to the bathroom on the interior rather than a curtain.
Ahh, yeah, all of the trailers we have seen have the solid door to the bathroom. I don't think my wife would approve of only a curtain!

We are absolutely new to the RV'ing world and have learned a lot in a short amount of time. I have driven a school bus before, so i'm not so concerned about the overall length, but I know we would like to go to some natural parks and such and from my understanding 26 ft seems to be the limit and it seems to be a good size.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score

This is the wife's first choice now. I think this may put us at our limits? What do you guys think?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7495 lb GVWR will be fine.

The outside fridge is nice to store juices/beverages in for the kids during the day and adults at night. (y)

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
There are too many choices. I was running the numbers more and here's where i'm at;
Payload 1500
Passenger Weight 500
Cargo 100
Hitch 100
Gives me 800 pounds left for tongue weight. Doing an estimation of 13% tongue weight will be a fully loaded trailer of 6100 pounds with that number. The search continues!

At this rate, it probably would have been easier to just have you guys pick me a trailer! :ROFLMAO:

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
There are too many choices. I was running the numbers more and here's where i'm at;
Payload 1500
Passenger Weight 500
Cargo 100
Hitch 100
Gives me 800 pounds left for tongue weight. Doing an estimation of 13% tongue weight will be a fully loaded trailer of 6100 pounds with that number. The search continues!

At this rate, it probably would have been easier to just have you guys pick me a trailer! :ROFLMAO:
Have you checked out the Keystone ultra lite in this floorplan?

jsxtreme01

Reaction score

Yeah, that was one of the first one's I saw when starting the search. It's one I still keep coming back to just based on size/weight/features. I figured even with a 1000 pounds of cargo (Worst case) that still leaves me with a 13% of 800 on the tongue. Which is within my numbers. I am giving myself a 100 pounds of cargo for the truck for the crap my wife will pack for the girls or such. But having the extra room in the trailer, I can safely distribute the weight in the trailer and not the truck.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Yeah, that was one of the first one's I saw when starting the search. It's one I still keep coming back to just based on size/weight/features. I figured even with a 1000 pounds of cargo (Worst case) that still leaves me with a 13% of 800 on the tongue. Which is within my numbers. I am giving myself a 100 pounds of cargo for the truck for the crap my wife will pack for the girls or such. But having the extra room in the trailer, I can safely distribute the weight in the trailer and not the truck.
We went through the same process and landed where you are. We ultimately decided we just had to commit to one and go but due to some dealer /order complications we'll be getting one a little later in the summer. That said, I'm not allowed to look at any more trailers 😜 . We'll be doing the same, packing it all in the trailer and just keeping the snacks and a few entertainment items in the truck. Your process is sound so you'll be just fine with whatever trailer you pick.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d recommend looking at the Keystone in person before committing to one.

I came very close to buying a Keystone Bullet 273BHS, but backed out after seeing it in person. I felt the materials, fit & finish was subpar..

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
We went through the same process and landed where you are. We ultimately decided we just had to commit to one and go but due to some dealer /order complications we'll be getting one a little later in the summer. That said, I'm not allowed to look at any more trailers 😜 . We'll be doing the same, packing it all in the trailer and just keeping the snacks and a few entertainment items in the truck. Your process is sound so you'll be just fine with whatever trailer you pick.
Did you end up going with the Bullet 243bh? Or which one did you get? Our trucks look identical!

I came very close to buying a Keystone Bullet 273BHS, but backed out after seeing it in person. I felt the materials, fit & finish was subpar..

I've heard that as well and I definitely wouldn't make a purchase like this site unseen.

We're going tomorrow to look at the 2400Bh, along with these tomorrow.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score

I think that's great advice for any TT purchase. Based on recent reviews from people who've purchased trailers recently, I think many manufacturers have been dealing with quality control challenges through the pandemic. We've looked at a few trailers recently from the manufacturer we're going with and haven't seen anything outside of what we'd expect.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
We saw the Freedom Express 238BH and the 246RKS in person the other day. They had nice build quality and didn't appear to be cheaply made. We were also comparing the 238BH to the Surveyor 240BH. We liked the 240 based on layout and it coming with solar already. The one we say in person had a GVWR of 7600 pounds! They are hefty girls!

Users who are viewing this thread