5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Suggestions?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That payload looks low. My CrewCab, Longhorn, 4x4, Etrq HEmi, Longbed, ORP has a payload almost that high.

I'm thinking that truck is probably north of 1500lbs payload.

The trailer with a WDH should be a good match.

**Don't forget the WDH weight in your cargo calculations**

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That payload looks low. My CrewCab, Longhorn, 4x4, Etrq HEmi, Longbed, ORP has a payload almost that high.

My Big Horn has a payload of 1426 lbs: ORG | Sport Appearance Package | Premium LED Lighting | Wheel-to-Wheel Side Steps | 5.7L | 4x4 | Trailer-Tow Group | BUG | Level 2 Equipment Group | 33-Gallon Fuel Tank

The Built to Serve model has some weight-y options: ORG | Sport Appearance Package | Premium LED Lighting | Side Steps | Alpine Audio

It also requires the Level 1 or Level 2 Equipment Group...more weight. The OP is also looking at: 5.7L eTorque, 4x4, Trailer-Tow Group, and Crew Cab with a 6'4" bed. The payload will take a hit for every option selected as everything has weight to it, however small. The only real differences are that I have the BUG and a 5'7" bed, and the BTS the OP is looking at has the Alpine Audio, eTorque, and 6'4" bed.

I can easily see how the payload capacity for the BTS the OP is looking at could be 1384 lbs. I don't know how the longer frame affects payload (additional weight from the length of frame and bed or maybe payload affect from longer frame rails?) but it is only 42 lbs less than mine and it is nearly the same truck (just unique styling accents and a little longer wheelbase).

I wanted the truck I wanted but payload was not a major consideration as I am not planning to tow much besides an occasional utility/U-Haul trailer. If I was planning on an RV trailer I would either have cut back on my options and gotten a more basic truck with more payload (if I was staying under 30 ft and 8000 lbs loaded) or would have stayed in the 3/4 ton "club" if I was going bigger.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Big Horn has a payload of 1426 lbs: ORG | Sport Appearance Package | Premium LED Lighting | Wheel-to-Wheel Side Steps | 5.7L | 4x4 | Trailer-Tow Group | BUG | Level 2 Equipment Group | 33-Gallon Fuel Tank

The Built to Serve model has some weight-y options: ORG | Sport Appearance Package | Premium LED Lighting | Side Steps | Alpine Audio

It also requires the Level 1 or Level 2 Equipment Group...more weight. The OP is also looking at: 5.7L eTorque, 4x4, Trailer-Tow Group, and Crew Cab with a 6'4" bed. The payload will take a hit for every option selected as everything has weight to it, however small. The only real differences are that I have the BUG and a 5'7" bed, and the BTS the OP is looking at has the Alpine Audio, eTorque, and 6'4" bed.

I can easily see how the payload capacity for the BTS the OP is looking at could be 1384 lbs. I don't know how the longer frame affects payload (additional weight from the length of frame and bed or maybe payload affect from longer frame rails?) but it is only 42 lbs less than mine and it is nearly the same truck (just unique styling accents and a little longer wheelbase).

I wanted the truck I wanted but payload was not a major consideration as I am not planning to tow much besides an occasional utility/U-Haul trailer. If I was planning on an RV trailer I would either have cut back on my options and gotten a more basic truck with more payload (if I was staying under 30 ft and 8000 lbs loaded) or would have stayed in the 3/4 ton "club" if I was going bigger.
I was just coming to explain this. Although the BTS is based in the Bighorn...it is kinda all the trims into one.

Uses the tradesman grille and can be optioned out like a limited(minus the limiited specific stuff of course)

When you use your VIN in the towing guide...it is what is. The 1600 the dealer said is completely bogus and the 1800 from the chart is for configuration in tradesman trim.

I thought saw him say he had MFT and Pano...but can not verify now.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
So, after much more research about the trim levels and features, I was able to find another truck that gives me about 130 pounds more of payload. Its now 1504, instead of 1384. It was confirmed by the RAM website and a picture from the dealer. So, I know the website is the most accurate way, as devildodge stated.

The new truck is still a 5.7 etorque, 3.92 axel, 33 gallon tank, towing mirrors, trailer brake controller, night edition, level 2 package and more. Its in a color that I actually wanted and will only be about 40 more bucks a month. Seems like a no brainer for me. There are a lot of differences between the two, but obviously its not a BTS edition and the new one doesn't have the "trailer tow group" package. So, I'm loosing the tire pressure monitor and reverse steering, which I'm ok with.

I started pricing out the 2500's as a comparison and thinking if I truly needed it. I am only 4 miles from work and it will be my daily driver. Plus, we are realistically going to RV probably once a month and I didn't see a major bonus to getting double the truck. With all of your help here, I realized the 1500 is more than capable of towing what we need/want and there is no reason to jump our expenses. I really appreciate all of the information you guys have provided!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, after much more research about the trim levels and features, I was able to find another truck that gives me about 130 pounds more of payload. Its now 1504, instead of 1384. It was confirmed by the RAM website and a picture from the dealer. So, I know the website is the most accurate way, as devildodge stated.
1504 is great. You know that is 3/4 of a ton payload in a half ton lol.

1504 is about what I would hope for. That will tow the trailers in the safe zone for a 1500.

Good luck. Hope camping works out for you. It is very popular right now and getting harder and harder to get spots. Why I am leaving the campgrounds this year for the forest. Not a people person am I .

And the VIN look up is the only one to use. Unless you at looking at a tradesman with no options.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, after much more research about the trim levels and features, I was able to find another truck that gives me about 130 pounds more of payload. Its now 1504, instead of 1384.
Great! Glad you found something that suits your needs. (y)

1504 is great. You know that is 3/4 of a ton payload in a half ton lol.
Everybody wants more every year. My 2003 F-250 had a payload of 1985 lbs...1 ton of payload in a 3/4 ton.

NWRogue

Reaction score

Agree with you on the 1384 being low, my fully loaded short bed ED Limited is 1381.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Wife and I have been researching more trailers. Still trying to stay at the maximum fully loaded rate of 6500 for the trailer. This one is 5137 dry, hitch 517, but has a CCC of 2380 for a total of 7517 GVWR. If we keep to the 6500 pounds total, which includes 1363 pounds of cargo, the hitch weight at 15 % would be 975 pounds correct? I'm still trying to be conservative with the numbers!

Also, I found this website. It was a decent guide to know my maximums, which also confirms the information you guys provided earlier.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

The truck is awesome. She drives better than my previous Honda Pilot (wife's car now) and still breaking her in. Coming from a fuel efficient pilot, its not fun to see the gas gage go down, but that's the name of the game!

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife and I have been researching more trailers. Still trying to stay at the maximum fully loaded rate of 6500 for the trailer. This one is 5137 dry, hitch 517, but has a CCC of 2380 for a total of 7517 GVWR. If we keep to the 6500 pounds total, which includes 1363 pounds of cargo, the hitch weight at 15 % would be 975 pounds correct? I'm still trying to be conservative with the numbers!

Correct, 15% of 6500 lbs is 975.

I think you’ll be ok. My TT is listed at 4900 dry with 585 lbs tongue weight. (Actual dry on vin sticker is 5200 lbs). On the scales lightly the loaded At 6,000 lbs I have about 800 lbs of tongue weight.

Now every TT is different I think your in a safe ballpark.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Either trailer you listed will be fine. I have a 2014 Dutchmen 268bhs, 33’ tip to tail. 6,873lbs dry, 7,500-7,600 lbs loaded with a full 60 gallon tank of water. My 4th gen with 1,360lbs of payload scaled almost bang on GVWR when loaded for a 1 week trip and about 100lbs over for a 2 week trip, usually nothing on the bed and my kids, 12 and 9, plus wife. Waiting to see what my Rebel ED will be once it’s built, but expecting a payload around 1450lbs.

As for airbags, WDH first, air bags only if needed with WDH. Many states and Provinces require a WDH on non-commercial vehicles when towing over 5000lbs. Without a WDH on a 1500 would be downright dangerous with a travel trailer and probably overload your rear axle by a few hundred pounds. One expansion joint without a WDH and hope your diaper is on and your roll into the ditch doesn’t kill you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many states and Provinces require a WDH on non-commercial vehicles when towing over 5000lbs. Without a WDH on a 1500 would be downright dangerous with a travel trailer and probably overload your rear axle by a few hundred pounds. One expansion joint without a WDH and hope your diaper is on and your roll into the ditch doesn’t kill you and your family.
Regardless of what you are towing (or towing with), if you are not using a WDH the published max weights are 500 lbs for the tongue and 5000 lbs trailer.

That goes for the HDs as well. My F-250 was rated to tow 12,500 lbs (bumper pull) with a WDH and 5000 lbs (500 lb tongue) without.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
28 ft; 5460 dry; 7400 loaded; hitch 500

26 ft; 5394 dry; 7517 loaded; hitch 517.

We're down to these two trailers, just need to decide floorplan for current needs and future needs. The two girls are under 3 and both trailers will work. Way to many choices!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been camping since I was a kid with my parents. We started in a 25' Class C "mini" motorhome and moved up through the ranks to bumper pulls and 5th wheels.

My kids are older now and camping is no longer in the cards. Looking back on all the great memories we made camping with my kids from toddlers to teens, and if price and quality were not an issue, I would pick the Surveyor Legend based strictly on floorplan:

1. Bunks for the kids. I'm not sure what the upper bunk is rated for but those bunks are a good size and will accommodate your girls for years to come. We did bunks for the kids all the way through their teens.
2. Bunks are in the back corner leaving you guys some room to relax after you put the kids down.
3. I would not be worried about my kids rolling out of bed or on top of each other.
4. I am sleeping close to the kids in case they need to get up.
5. The shower is bigger. Easier to bathe the kids.
6. The freshwater and black water tanks are a tad smaller but the gray water tank is a bit bigger for shower and sink drains.
7. The pantry looks a little bigger, which you will appreciate the extra storage when packing for youngin's. ;)

Everybody's lifestyle is different so needs, wants, and concerns all vary.

There are plenty of other factors to consider (storage, appearance, cost, etc.) that are going to hinge on your preference.

Don't know if you were looking for any inputs but thought I'd throw some out there from a guy who "glamped" (camped in a trailer) with his kids for 15+ years.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have two kids under 4.... You will want the bunks.

We put the older one in top bunk and use a baby gate to keep the little one from escaping the lower bunk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have two kids under 4.... You will want the bunks.

We put the older one in top bunk and use a baby gate to keep the little one from escaping the lower bunk
Exactly what we did. (y)

As the kids got older they got to alternate bunks each night (they both thought the top bunk was "cooler").

Once my son "aged out" (got too heavy for a top bunk) he got the lower bunk and my daughter got the top bunk (plus the lower bunk had more legroom).

Last edited:

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
My wife and I were talking this morning about the very issues you guys brought up. We definitely got sucked in to the layout and figured we could use it now and have the kids still use the sofa and dinette as beds as they get older! They are 3 and 1. Bad parents, I know!

The Surveyor was the one we initially liked. They layout was conducive to future growth and we could used the top bunk as storage as the girls got bigger. Another thing we liked was it was already outfitted with solar, was under 26ft from tip to toe and has Azdel. Lastly, it was still was in the weight/payload limits of the truck (1504 on the payload), especially since the dry hitch weight is 517. I have been doing calculations on hitch, to be conservative and this one based on 7400 gross at 15% was 1,110 pounds. I can't imagine putting another 593 pounds on the hitch to get to that number. I admittedly get sucked into the payload number and go to the extreme with hitch weight, cause I want to be extremely safe for my precious cargo and the drivers around me. I am LEO, so its a hard habit to break and to be selfish!

Then my wife found these and is pushing the limits, in my opinion. What do you guys think?

28'10; 6500 Gross; 5192 dry; Hitch 630

28'11; 7660 Gross; 5654 dry; Hitch 670

Users who are viewing this thread