5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Suggestions?

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Hello everyone.,

I am looking to purchase a 21 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4 Box BTS edition. It has the 5.7 eTorque, 3.92 axle and the trailer tow group packaging. My wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer to hopefully match this truck. I am a noob when it comes to travel trailers and figured you guys might be able to guide me. I have read numerous threads here and have a good understanding to not go over the payload of the truck. I know the truck is more than capable with the towing capacity. The truck is still in transit, so I have not seen the sticker on the door. Going off the RAM website (by VIN), it states its payload is 1,384. On the dealer website, it lists the payload as 1,660 and on the tow sheet it is 1,800. My first question is, without seeing the sticker in person, which number can I safely assume is the most accurate? I am going nuts trying to figure this out!

For background, it is myself, my wife and two kids (2.5, 10 months) that will be using the trailer. My second question is, what is the safest dry weight/tongue weight/GVWR that I should be aiming for? I absolutely will be using a WDH with it and have a hook up on air suspension if needed. What do you guys suggest? We have looked at the Keystone Bullet 243BHS (5,036 Dry, 1,464 Cargo, 615 hitch). Is this trailer safely doable with the above truck? I have yet to buy this truck and don't want to, if I cant tow that trailer or something similar. Thank you in advance. My brain is fried and looking for a pro to help me make a decision!

Last edited:

Jason605

Reaction score
I would go off the 1384 payload. You should be fine with that trailer.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies! I will use the 1384 for my calculations. Based on the 1384 payload and the approximately 410 pounds for the weight of the four of us, that leaves me 974 pounds. That 974 will be left for the tongue weight and cargo correct?

Regarding tongue weight, is it safe to assume 12% of the fully loaded trailer weight is the number I should use. So 12% of 6500 pound would be 780 pounds. Is that the realistic loaded weight of the tongue? If so, going off the above number 974-780 will leave me 194 pounds of cargo for the truck?

Also, should I just bite the bullet and put bags on the rear for added peace of mind?

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is 10-15% tongue weight for a bumper-pull.

You can go for the bags now or see how it sits after you hook it up and get the weight distribution hitch adjusted. If you plan to fill up the bed with stuff then you'll probably want bags but if you plan to haul your gear in the trailer maybe not.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
And those ranges are based on the fully loaded trailer weight, correct?

I probably will do a combination of bed and trailer, so I probably elect to do the bags. I am excited to get this adventure started!

Thank you again for all of the information you have provided. I wish I had to money to just get the 2500!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
780 would be more of a maximum TW on that trailer. So if you can keep your added stuff to a minimum you could gain more payload.

But with the numbers you displayed...yes 194 would be left for the truck.

I would get a properly set up weight distribution hitch before I would mess with bags.

But I hate spending useless money. Camping trips require a lot of fuel...both for the truck and the humans.

You got a trailer that is pretty well matched for your truck. Make the setup work right. Save the money for gas and food

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have looked at the Keystone Bullet 243BHS (5,036 Dry, 1,464 Cargo, 615 hitch).
So 5036 with a 615 hitch weight. That is 12% like you said.

5036 and the 1464 is 6500 and 14% is 910.

So keep cargo down and try to maintain the 12%.

I always say to keep the teailer under 30 foot and under 7000 gross.

Your truck has this. Utilize the camper for gear. Keep the axle weights on the truck below 3800 and use the weight distribution to get as much weight back to the front as possible and enjoy the trip

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The payload of 1384 seems really low for that truck configuration. I had a 2019 big horn crew cab 4x4 hemi with the 6’-4” box, night edition level 2 equipment group and the payload was 1,715lbs. I would guess the 1,660 number is more likely. But even if it is only 1,384 it looks like you will be fine with that trailer.

you can see in my signature what truck I have and my current ecodiesel has over 1,500lbs of payload. I can’t see how yours would have 200lbs less

I do highly recommend you put air bags in the rear. Very easy to install, not expensive, and make a very noticeable difference in firming up the rear. Makes the towing experience much more comfortable.

Last edited:

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That trailer’s a good match for that truck.
Go enjoy it, be safe, don’t sweat the numbers too much, just be careful with your precious cargo...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most has already been said above.

Only thing I’ll add is to ditch the standard “SL” load rated tires for ones with an “XL” load rating. The stiffer side walls will aid in tow vehicle stability

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
I am going to say the 12% for the tongue weight is probably the two propane tanks full, along with the battery. Any more cargo in front of the axel will bump me to the 14 to 15% range?

You guys have given me great advice and are definitely pushing me towards getting the truck. Now knowing the safe weight max is 6500 fully loaded, I can look at possibly other trailers. I can only hope the door sticker is above the 1384 and then i'll be playing with house money. Nothing wrong with doing calculations on the worst case scenario.

Once the truck gets in, I confirm what the tires are and will look into the XL. I'll search the forum for WDH recommendations and go from there. Thank you guys again.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck's payload is 1426 lbs but my truck has a lot of options and the 5' 7" bed.

The BTS edition has a lot of options, along with the long bed, and I can see where the 1384 lbs payload could be possible.

My ORG truck came with C-rated tires and I swapped them out with XL-rated tires (effectively the same load rating). I'll probably tow a utility or U-Haul trailer occasionally so I'm happy with the tires. If I was looking at towing regularly (or an RV trailer) I would look into bumping up to D-rated or E-rated tires so that I wouldn't be as close to their load rating.

My XL tires are rated for about 2700 lbs @ 50 psi and the E-rated versions are about 3500 lbs @ 80 psi. The E-rated tires are 10+ lbs more than the XL-rated ones but the added plies add some stability IMO.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I want to echo what IvoryHemi said about the tires. I have a 2019 Laramie 4x2 CC 5.7 eTorque with the 3.21 rear end and tow a 5785 dry weight TT. I weighed the rig on a Cat Scale this weekend and my TT loaded with all our gear and supplies weighed in at 6300lbs. The calculated tongue weight is 835lbs or 14% of the loaded TT.

I use a ProPride 3P hitch and I was able to get the drive axle to within 20lbs of its unloaded weight, so I'm happy with that.

Now that you know what I am towing and towing with, I will go back to the tires. The only thing I feel like I have left to "fix" with the truck is the tires. The P rated stock 20" Bridgestones are too soft and I really feel the push and pull from large vehicles as they pass me.

You will be glad you opted for the 3.92 rear end too. My truck spends a lot of time in the upper rev range on inclines... even slight ones.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
I want to echo what IvoryHemi said about the tires. I have a 2019 Laramie 4x2 CC 5.7 eTorque with the 3.21 rear end and tow a 5785 dry weight TT. I weighed the rig on a Cat Scale this weekend and my TT loaded with all our gear and supplies weighed in at 6300lbs. The calculated tongue weight is 835lbs or 14% of the loaded TT.

Great information, thank you! Which trailer do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

The good part of this whole situation is, I have time to pick the trailer and can be picky/thorough. Unfortunately, I have to make a quick decision on the truck based on the 0% financing, rebates and discount. Worse case scenario is I get a bad *** truck and figure out the rest later!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Echo the sentiments about being aware of tire loading, but:
- the stock tires load rating is more than sufficient for the truck’s rated capacity. Quality or performance would be the reason to upgrade. OEM trailer tires are often low quality, that would be the first place I’d upgrade.
- buy tires on the load index, not XL/SL, ply rating, etc. XL tires achieve their load rating at a higher psi. C, D and E-load category and “plies” are vestiges of yesteryear. These days, E tires don’t actually have any more plies than D, and unless you’re buying airplane tires, 10 ply tires don’t have 10 plies (they are “10 ply-rated”). Check the load index, like 116 (2700#) or 121 (3200#) , which correspond to weight carrying capacity.

ps - we comfortably tow a Mesa Ridge 2504BH (29’ overall, 5800/600# advertised, 6800
total, 900# tongue loaded at the scale) with our 1500 DT Crew/short bed/ Hemi...

Last edited:

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
That's a nice trailer! I was just looking at this one. Specs wise, It looks pretty identical to yours.

Just out of curiosity, What does a 1000 pounds of gear look like for you?

bucolic

Reaction score
I will just throw this out there from my experience towing cross country last year. Make sure the truck has the 33-gallon tank. At the time I had the 26-gallon tank and it was miserable even on trips 2 hours away. 250 miles of range so your hunting for a gas station every 150 miles. I have even heard of some of the e-torques having a 23-gallon tank. I can't imagine towing with that size tank. I traded for a 2021 3.92 gears, trailer tow package, and 33-gallon tank. I bought a 4point sway control and WDH from Equilizer hitch. I towed without sway control a couple of times and it was all over the place. The Equilizer hitch was rock solid and night and day difference from the non-sway control hitch. I towed a 26' at about 5000 lbs unladen. I think you'll be fine with the rig you listed. Again though that small gas tank should be a deal-breaker.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a nice trailer! I was just looking at this one. Specs wise, It looks pretty identical to yours.

Just out of curiosity, What does a 1000 pounds of gear look like for you?
Thx! Does look similar!
For us, 1000# includes:
- replacing the stock battery with 460ah battery bank (4 x GC2 and an inverter)
- clothes
- food
- pots and pans
- camp chairs
- 3 mountain bikes and bike rack
- 2 Honda EU2000 generators
- bin full of shore power cords and adapters
- bin full of potable water hoses, a transfer pump, pressure regulator
- bin full of dirty water hoses
- Sani-Con Turbo 400 black water pump (so I never have to gravity feed black water ever again).
- portable fire pit/grill
- tools, axe, shovel, leveling kit
- First aid kit
- water (when boondocking)
- pillows, blankets, sheets, towels, TP
- sports gear or dirt bike gear or kayak gear or karting gear or yoga gear or ?
- Truma AquaGo demand hot water heater (continuous hot water - SO nice after the fam gets dirty and there’s no fighting over who gets to go first, counting down the minutes, etc)
...stuff like that...

Last edited:

bpwj76

Reaction score
Great information, thank you! Which trailer do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

The good part of this whole situation is, I have time to pick the trailer and can be picky/thorough. Unfortunately, I have to make a quick decision on the truck based on the 0% financing, rebates and discount. Worse case scenario is I get a bad *** truck and figure out the rest later!
First, I noticed a mistake in my post. I got the STEER axle to within 20lbs of unloaded weight with my WDH, not the drive axle.

I'm pulling a Grand Design 2600RB. It's 29' 8" long.

I would also get the 33 gallon gas tank if I had it to do over. I have the 26 gallon tank and like bucolic said, you're constantly thinking about the next fuel stop. Now granted at 8.5 mpg you're only getting another 59 miles of range, but it's a little extra cushion I'd welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread