5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 1500 Trailer Suggestions?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Freedom Express are nice. They are basically the same as my Apex Ultra-Lite with the Azdel siding.

Grand Design’s are very nice.

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
Yeah, the azdel is a major bonus for the Freedom Express and Surveyor Legend! I assumed why there is the added weight to them.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
I think I read that all Coachmen lines that have fiberglass walls use Azdel now. We've cross shopped about everything they make and initially started on the Apex line. We just needed something a little shorter with the layout we wanted. The Spirit 245 was on the shortlist as well. I really liked their fold-up bed storage solution and I thought I wasn't going to be able to deprioritize the back door / fold up bunk option. But, Freedom Express it is!

jsxtreme01

Reaction score

Went and viewed all three Grand Design's today. The smallest floorplan was the one we like the most, given our payload limits. The other two were extremely nice, but were beasts. My hats are off to you guys towing big rigs! We can max this thing out and still be almost at our max. It was spacious and fit our needs! Now to work on where to store this beauty and which WDH to buy!

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
My BTS payload sticker is 1,297 lbs. For two adults, a 10 year old, and two 150 lb dogs the struggle to find a decent TT is real!

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
My BTS payload sticker is 1,297 lbs. For two adults, a 10 year old, and two 150 lb dogs the struggle to find a decent TT is real!
Yeah, it truly is. I definitely didn't fully understand the towing and payload situation, until I came here. Luckly, I have some wiggle room. What size trailer are you looking for?

moontea

Reaction score
Yeah, the azdel is a major bonus for the Freedom Express and Surveyor Legend! I assumed why there is the added weight to them.
I like the Surveyor Legend 19BHLE, it is the only below 24ft trailer I found that clearly claims the length of the dinette is 75 inches so that it can fit a not too tall adult. I also like that the bunk does not have a wall on the side, since it is open and makes the inside looks spacious.

Attachments

• 19BHLE.jpeg
    19BHLE.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 24

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now I am leaning toward a Grand Design 395MS (Not to be towed with my current 1500) so I can have a vehicle to drive and the Razor to use with almost all of the amenities including a washer and dryer. My question to the group is what brands do you think are higher quality than Grand Design for Toy Hauler 5th wheels?

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
All of my buddies at work have Grand Design Toy Haulers. They all love them and were the ones that recommended Grand Design in general.

As for a trailer update, the grand design 21BHE is still the front runner. We are trying to see if storage at the house was going to be an option. Cheapest storage in our area for a 25 trailer or less is 95 bucks a month. So, we're trying to figure it out, which has my wife looking at smaller trailers. We're back looking at the Surveyor 19BHLE and the Jayco Microfeather 171BH. Both are so lite, I don't have to even sweat the numbers!

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
All of my buddies at work have Grand Design Toy Haulers. They all love them and were the ones that recommended Grand Design in general.

As for a trailer update, the grand design 21BHE is still the front runner. We are trying to see if storage at the house was going to be an option. Cheapest storage in our area for a 25 trailer or less is 95 bucks a month. So, we're trying to figure it out, which has my wife looking at smaller trailers. We're back looking at the Surveyor 19BHLE and the Jayco Microfeather 171BH. Both are so lite, I don't have to even sweat the numbers!
The 21bhe is the best option for us too. The Murphy bed gives a couch to use as more seating. It makes it comparable to much larger trailers
The only issues with that I see is the pass through storage isn’t that big (and I wish the ceiling was a bit taller )

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
What do you think a realistic loaded tongue weight is going to be with a dry tongue weight of 660?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422-205827.png
    Screenshot_20210422-205827.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 26

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you think a realistic loaded tongue weight is going to be with a dry tongue weight of 660?

They're claiming 14% dry tongue weight. That’s actually not unreasonable.

Estimate 800-900 lbs (805 lbs @ 14% or 862 lbs @ 15%) would be at the trailers max GVW when adjusted properly

That 9’8” exterior height is excellent. That will help reduce wind sail

Nels

Reaction score
My wife REALLY likes this trailer. Do you guys think I can pull this safely with my truck? See signature. Payload 1648. Could be 4 adults averaging 175 lbs in the cab at times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-074517_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-074517_Messenger.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 24

Nels

Reaction score
Referring to previous post, I feel like it's just outside of the limits of my truck, but if there's a way, it would make her really happy. And you know what they say about a happy wife...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are right there with the 700lb passenger estimate. If you add a backpack to the group or order a supersize meal to eat on the way you will be over.

The manufacturer has built some conservatism into their numbers as they have tested to make sure that you can operate within those limits safely for the life of the vehicle.

I see people exceeding limits all the time and it is something that I am not willing to do. Not only for legal reasons but my personal comfort level too. I grew up traveling where getting there was half the fun (we drove places on vacation instead of flying) and it is no fun to haul at the limits of the equipment.

I'm coming from a 3/4 ton diesel for 11 years prior to this and one of my decisions to "drop down" to a 1/2 ton was that I was not going to be towing much any more.

For me there's more that goes into a towing decision besides just the numbers. Wind sail is a big one as IvoryHemi mentioned above.

My personal (overly) conservative limits:

1. Anything that is over 30' is a 3/4 ton. Sway and wind sail are much better controlled with a heavier truck and longer wheelbase.
2. 5th wheel is a 3/4 ton. Heavier pin weight would probably max out payload and will put a larger strain on the rear axle. The 3/4 ton has a full-floating rear axle to better support that load in addition to beefier suspension.
3. Anything under 25' and no more than 8000 lbs GVWR can be a 1/2 ton. Small enough to stay within limits and less chance of the "tail wagging the dog".
4. 25' - 30' - by default I would use a 3/4 ton but could be a 1/2 ton. Judgement call based on GVWR and side profile.

These are just my personal comfort levels after owning 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks (Ford F-150, Ford F-250, and now a RAM 1500). I'm sure others are willing to go a lot further but, as I said before, getting there is half the fun in my family.

If my wife was in love with that trailer I would go one of two ways with it:

1. If I had the money I would tell her that I need to trade my 1500 in and get a 2500 to safely tow "her trailer".
2. If the money wasn't there then we have to look at other trailers.

I completely understand "happy wife, happy life". I would go with "her trailer" and start looking at 2500s in my price range for "my truck".

Just my .02

Last edited:

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
They're claiming 14% dry tongue weight. That’s actually not unreasonable.

Estimate 800-900 lbs (805 lbs @ 14% or 862 lbs @ 15%) would be at the trailers max GVW when adjusted properly

That 9’8” exterior height is excellent. That will help reduce wind sail

That's the trailer we were looking at online. Looks like the 660 does not include propane, batteries, etc. So, I don't think I would be able to keep it at 800 pounds or less. At least that is what I'm aiming for tongue weight with my payload to still have some leeway.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fastway E2 WDH? That's the one the Grand Design dealer has in stock. But, I may have found an Equalizer 4 PT WDH down the street. The equalizer is my first choice, followed by the Anderson, based on weight and ease of use. I know everyone has their own opinions, but I definitely welcome them from peoples experience.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 10k Equalizer 4-point with 1,000 lb bars. It’s heavy, but it works great.

In my opinion:
4-point > 2-point sway control

Users who are viewing this thread