5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 night edition third brake light

brettguercio

Reaction score
So if I have a 21 limited is this plug and play just swapping out the light and mirror?

brettguercio

Reaction score
I just completed the install 2 weeks ago. Your right there is a lot of stuff in the headliner that makes it difficult to route the wire.

Here’s what I did:

- first remover the 3rd brake light
- pull the weather stripping on the passenger, rear and use a straightened coat hanger to push from the passenger side to the 3rd brake light opening. It’s tricky but take your time
- once the wire is through, tape the connector end to the wire with several wraps of electrical tape and pull through to passenger side
- continue pulling until you have just the amount of wire needed for the 3rd brake light
- touting the wire forward is much easier. I kept the wire inboard of the airbags
- routing the wire to the mirror was a similar process but push the coat hanger from the open overhead console area out to the passenger side headliner opening
- tape the connector like before and pull it through

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a 21 ram why did you have to run the extra cable ? Thought it was already ran from the factory ?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you have a 21 ram why did you have to run the extra cable ? Thought it was already ran from the factory ?
That's the camera cable I believe. The other wires are there, but not the camera cable.

kfscoll

Reaction score
I just got finished reading the whole thread and it looks like installing the OEM digital mirror and CHMSL are very doable on my ‘21 Big Horn. However, my driver’s side and (current) rear view mirrors are both auto-dimming. Am I correct in assuming that auto-dimming will stop working if in install the new mirror?

bdel10

Reaction score
I'd like to get folks opinion. I had a friend of mine attach his OBD reader to my truck and the BCM says it's a 2021 Ram. It is a 2020 and built in August of '20 so I suspect that a 2021 BCM was installed in my truck since it was entering the new model year. Maybe they just didn't have anymore 2020 BCMs.. Wondering since it has a 2021 BCM would the digital rear view mirror just be plug and play in my truck? What's your thoughts?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'd like to get folks opinion. I had a friend of mine attach his OBD reader to my truck and the BCM says it's a 2021 Ram. It is a 2020 and built in August of '20 so I suspect that a 2021 BCM was installed in my truck since it was entering the new model year. Maybe they just didn't have anymore 2020 BCMs.. Wondering since it has a 2021 BCM would the digital rear view mirror just be plug and play in my truck? What's your thoughts?
It should be. But there is no guarantee.

Cesar592

Reaction score
If I bought a bcm of 2021 I could manually write all the settings of my 2020 laramie and then just go to the deler and say that I have problems, they could flash the bcm and so it would be as factory or not it is that simple someone here in texas says that I can update my firmware but it does not guarantee that the digital mirror will work just thinking how I can have the rear view mirror

Last edited:

Javerso

Reaction score
Ok, so in skimming through what seems to be 2 years worth of posts I am assuming my 2021 Limited is completely pre wired for the mirror and 3rd light. I do not have to run any wires? 100% plug and play? And do I lose anything? It was built this past June.
Thanks everyone.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Ok, so in skimming through what seems to be 2 years worth of posts I am assuming my 2021 Limited is completely pre wired for the mirror and 3rd light. I do not have to run any wires? 100% plug and play? And do I lose anything? It was built this past June.
Thanks everyone.
I think you need to run the camera cable. And it needs to be enable using AlfaODB. And you may lose auto dimming. It's all on this thread, but I'm trying to remember what I read.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I think you need to run the camera cable. And it needs to be enable using AlfaODB. And you may lose auto dimming. It's all on this thread, but I'm trying to remember what I read.
Auto-dimming is a setting on the U-Connect with the digital mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/