5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ford F-150 vs. Ram 1500 and Chevrolet Silverado 1500: Back at It Again...We find out, once and for all, who makes the best pickup truck. For now.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They screwed up the payload number for Ram.

Lists 1,840 lbs yet it had a 5,960 lb curb weight? That means it was actually only 1,140 lbs

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload is accurate, curb weight is not.

Nope.

1,840 lbs is for a base Tradesman.

Payload for a Laramie with leather, MFT, Ram Boxes, 33 gallon tank, etc is going to be significantly lower

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Base tradesman payload is ~1200 lbs in the most stripped down form of the truck. All other 5th gens have a significantly higher payload rating.

Try this:

Those weights are all for the Tradesman trim level

The 1,200 lbs listed is for a 3.6/3.21/4x2/QC

It lists 1,860 lbs for a 5.7/3.21/4x4/CC ... which again doesn’t include leather, MFT, Ram Boxes, 33 gallon tank, etc. All those items lower the payload #

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those weights are all for the Tradesman trim level

The 1,200 lbs listed is for a 3.6/3.21/4x2/QC

It lists 1,860 lbs for a 5.7/3.21/4x4/CC ... which again doesn’t include leather, MFT, Ram Boxes, 33 gallon tank, etc. All those items lower payload
Yes, that 6.2L Supercharged motor is thrown in there for ****s and giggles. This is an all inclusive list. These are what RAM publishes their payload ratings, though I would agree those options would reduce the overall payload, but not by 600-700 lbs

Also, right from RAMs website. If they are off by over 600 pounds they have a serious false advertising problem.

1626807717844.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that 6.2L Supercharged motor is thrown in there for ****s and giggles. This is an all inclusive list. These are what RAM publishes their payload ratings, though I would agree those options would reduce the overall payload, but not by 600-700 lbs

Also, right from RAMs website. If they are off by over 600 pounds they have a serious false advertising problem.

View attachment 100483
We explain this a thousand times...may be to 10s of thousand times now.

The only way to know for sure is to look at your door jamb.

The VIN lookup is 99% accurate.

What you posted is a configurator.

It is for a configuration. It is once again the lightest possible weight in the configuration.

It is not for a specific truck.

Tradesman base is the lightest. Sure a loaded tradesman can weigh more than a base Bighorn.

From our nearly four years of research...laramie Longhorn is the heaviest...figure it is the buckles

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is not false advertising. It is not understanding what one is reading. They tell you all about it if you read the print.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We explain this a thousand times...may be to 10s of thousand times now.

The only way to know for sure is to look at your door jamb.

The VIN lookup is 99% accurate.

What you posted is a configurator.

It is for a configuration. It is once again the lightest possible weight in the configuration.

It is not for a specific truck.

Tradesman base is the lightest. Sure a loaded tradesman can weigh more than a base Bighorn.

From our nearly four years of research...laramie Longhorn is the heaviest...figure it is the buckles
Yes I understand, I'm just saying no way it's 1140 or whatever @IvoryHemi is saying. Also, the same issue would apply to the GM and Ford trucks in the the article.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I said I was gonna stop engaging in this conversation. My damn wife has to spend too much time shopping.

Payload is GVWR minus Base weight. A tradesman has the least amount of base weight therefore the highest payload.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I understand, I'm just saying no way it's 1140 or whatever @IvoryHemi is saying. Also, the same issue would apply to the GM and Ford trucks in the the article.
It is 1140. And most of us here give two ****s about ford or chevy.

They are wrong also. They used weights from a chart and are wrong.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 100483

Ram Boxes - 150 lbs
MFT - 75 lbs
Leather - 50 lbs
Ventilated seats - 25 lbs
33 gallon tank - 75 lbs
BUG - 75 lbs

There’s -450 lbs right off the bat

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I concede my argument. On further research I did not realize just how different advertised ratings were vs door jamb sticker. I am seeing some CC Laramies on this forum around ~1400 so yea.

With that said they used chart ratings for all 3 trucks so they were at least consistent, I am curious as to what the real payloads for the other two were.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For a long time... @SpeedyV was the reining champion with 1069 payload. Then the MFT came along and I am not sure who it was but it was 970. And when they would look at the charts or configurators...they would have got 1840

Users who are viewing this thread